XY A New Mechanic! Super Training

Fancy

Aristocrat
"Pokémon gain experience and grow stronger by battling with other Pokémon. In Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, that's not the only way to help your Pokémon grow. Check out a brand-new method of Pokémon training: Super Training!"

With this new Super Training Mechanic introduced, it is destined to change how we will raise our pokemon. What are your views on this and why do you feel that way? Will you use Super Training or will you use the old method of EV training?

How to play: Your pokemon will face huge pokemon-shaped balloons, with each trying to shoot balls into the other's goal. Use the circle pad and Touch screen to let loose well-planned shots at your opponent.

Results: With Super Training, it’s not your Pokémon’s level that goes up but its base stats/EVs, the underlying values that define your Pokémon's skills in battle. As these base stats increase, your Pokémon can increase its HP, Attack, or other stats beyond those of another Pokémon of the same species at the same level.

Seeing the Results: Understand your Pokémon’s stats at a glance with the Effort-o-Meter! Check a Pokémon’s Effort-o-Meter graph on the Super Training main screen to get a quick and easy look at how your Pokémon has grown.

Each Pokémon has some stats that will grow more easily than others and some stats that will take more work to raise. The inside (green) part of the Effort-o-Meter graph shows the stat levels relevant to each Pokémon species. The outside (yellow) part of the graph shows the base stat increases that your Pokémon has achieved through Super Training. There is a limit to how much any single Pokémon can increase its base stats through training. The meter on the right side of the screen illustrates that limit.

august_p11_03.jpg

august_p12_01.jpg

I am going to spend a lot of time in this game. I can just tell. I like the idea of super training. (helps wih evs)

This seems so much more fun than walking around beating the same Pokémon over and over! I'm glad they realized how bothersome and pointless that is and introduced a new way for EV training. It is making me look forward to the games even more!

I'm curious to how the games work. In the above picture, the game is football (I'm European, it's football for me) oriented. I wonder whether each EV is connected to a different sport. It might just be because football is very popular here in Europe!

With these new feature I wonder if the old method will still exist. Horde battles could give massive EV if combined with Pokérus and the other EV boosting items. Does Gamefreak think it will be too easy this way and decided to replace it with this new method? Or will they both be possible? I'm looking forward to find out how everything works in Pokémon X&Y!

IMO, super training seems kind of pointless, especially since getting the right EVs isn't that hard and there are much bigger obstacles for getting your Pokémon perfect, like IVs, Natures and Abilities. Having your level 5 Diglett get perfect speed EVs is fine, but it could have a crippling speed IV and an awful Nature.

Hmm... Is it just me, or have they changed the menu sprites?

Nope, not just you. They did in fact update the pokemon icons.

Yippee.

Seeing as im not a competitive player, EV training was/is mildly annoying for me. Not sure if this little minigame thingll be entertaining enough, hm. Hope its more fun/pointfull than pokeathlon and those transfer minigames.

Drohn said:
This seems so much more fun than walking around beating the same Pokémon over and over! I'm glad they realized how bothersome and pointless that is and introduced a new way for EV training. It is making me look forward to the games even more!

I'm curious to how the games work. In the above picture, the game is football (I'm European, it's football for me) oriented. I wonder whether each EV is connected to a different sport. It might just be because football is very popular here in Europe!

With these new feature I wonder if the old method will still exist. Horde battles could give massive EV if combined with Pokérus and the other EV boosting items. Does Gamefreak think it will be too easy this way and decided to replace it with this new method? Or will they both be possible? I'm looking forward to find out how everything works in Pokémon X&Y!

It already said this was just another method, so horde battles will likely still give you boatloads of EVs.

I think they will all be football based, just with different pokemon balloons for different EV's. Also, it could be that the more badges you have, the better balloons you get (a balloon of a pokemon that gives more EV's for a stat than the previous one you had). I love it. Especially since it comes with a way to keep track of it instead of making a table on a piece of paper that i usually lose.
HOWEVER:
"Each Pokémon has some stats that will grow more easily than others and some stats that will take more work to raise. "
'Scuse you?

I like that it can be used anywhere. Means I might be able to EV train my Pokémon right after catching them in the main story and not have to travel anywhere to find Pokémon to kill. Seems cool but if the source is right about it taking two hours for one EV...probably better off just doing the battling thing anyway.

This is pretty good in all but what about Individual Values (IV's), Natures, and a meter to check the highest base damage for your Pokemon's Hidden Power? Is Game Freak doing away with it in Gen VI? If I decide to get either Pokemon X or Y does this mean I won't have to soft reset my game to get the right Nature and IV's for the Torchic Event with Speed Boost? I really would love to see Hidden Power being as easily manipulated as EV's are.

Now If only Game Freak made breeding Pokemon at the Daycare far less tedious for competitive battling than it already is then I'm sold. Seriously Game Freak needs to take everything that cheating devices and online simulators do for competitive battling and implement it in the actual games themselves, it would be a win/win for everyone instead of how competitive battling in Pokemon nowadays is divided between those that use Wi-Fi exclusively and those that use online simulators exclusively.

I don't like that whole stadium and football against ballons thing, I was expecting something more... intimate? more appropiate to a kid journeying with its pokemon friends? something in the battle backgrounds, maybe another of your pokemon or even yourself as a punchingball for attack EVs, running for speed, meditation for special defense, yoga or tai chi or something for sp. attack, another pokemon hitting it for defense and... eating? for HP. maybe for the final EV point in each stat it plays an animation of the pokemon climbing some stairs, turning and throwing it's arms in the air, while "eye of the tiger" plays at full volume.

Okay, now I'm really pissed it's not this way. F*** you, gamefreak!

Now truly will train my Pokemon as they deserve.
Love it!

Hope it's not just a minigame.

I am really going to enjoy this route. EV training will hopefully be a bit faster. I'll be happy knowing I can do this in the main game.

Is this solely EV training, or does it also raise base stat values themselves? That is, you're training pokemon to be stronger than the same pokemon could be in previous games?

Bogleech said:
Is this solely EV training, or does it also raise base stat values themselves? That is, you're training pokemon to be stronger than the same pokemon could be in previous games?

I can tell you now, no. You won't be raising "base stat values". It's solely for EV training. Otherwise, all you need to do is Super Train your pokes until they have 999 in each base stat. Then there'd be balance issues out the wazoo.

MuhFugginMoose said:
Bogleech said:

I can tell you now, no. You won't be raising "base stat values". It's solely for EV training. Otherwise, all you need to do is Super Train your pokes until they have 999 in each base stat. Then there'd be balance issues out the wazoo.

Basically this.
A lot of confusion is coming from the fact that what we've known as EVs for so long are officially called "base stats", which is what we know... er... base stats as o_O
I think technically EVs have always been called base stats though, if the item descriptions on things like Iron are anything to go by.

I'm not actually sure if I'll end up using this, even though it does seem like it could be a little more fun than just battling the same Pokemon over and over. If there's no good variety of minigames I'll get bored of it very quickly, and if the exact number of EVs you're earning isn't shown, then I definitely won't use it. They are too important to keep track of.

Frezgle said:
Basically this.
A lot of confusion is coming from the fact that what we've known as EVs for so long are officially called "base stats", which is what we know... er... base stats as o_O
I think technically EVs have always been called base stats though, if the item descriptions on things like Iron are anything to go by.

Now that you've pointed this out, I have something to go by when people ask this question. Couldn't tell you how many times I'll be in a chat and someone tries to argue it'll be raising your actual Base stat.

I.e: It raises the base Sp. Atk stat of a single Pokémon.

Clearly, Calcium doesn't raise Amphys Sp Attk from Base 115 to Base 116. Thanks for pointing that out. :D

Heh, you have done me a great service.

TBH, Super Training doesn't even bring anything new, as it's 1up'd by Join Avenues' Dojo and Café. What's more, you can even get rid of EVs you don't want by 255 or 100 at a time through the Salon.

Heck, if you have the patience, Join Avenue makes a lot of things easier, like the Nursery helps you hatch Eggs, the Raffle gives you free Master Balls (though the chances of winning one is really low) and the Antique Shop lets you get Fossils, Shards and Evolution Items. I'd really like to see Super Training do that.

But the join avenue facilities are crazy expensive: it can be as hard to get the cash to buy or lose EVs as to train them the old way; I rather hatch eggs and train EVs the old way than paying all the money I made in the game to get one or two pokemon to 510 EVs.

I guess, but I still find Super Training pointless, as there's probably no way to get rid of useless EVs and you can't even change you Pokémons' IVs, Nature or Ability from the looks of it.

Blob55 said:
I guess, but I still find Super Training pointless, as there's probably no way to get rid of useless EVs and you can't even change you Pokémons' IVs, Nature or Ability from the looks of it.

How on Earth would it make sense to change a pokemon's nature. It's its personality. How it acts. It was born that way. And just like Lady Gaga, it isn't changing. And IV's are what you're born with as well. Some beings are just better than others. That's how it is with humans too. EV's are the only thing you should be able to change because they're training experience. Anyway can get and lose that.

Back