3DS Discussion Thread

Mishiina said:
Picked up Bravely Default, haven't really put it down since it came out.

Yeah, I can agree with that sentiment as well. If you like old school RPGs and what made them so great in the first place, stop playing the new Final Fantasy games and play this one instead because it's a pretty great game IMO.

dmaster out.

This week, Nintendo announced that a new Yoshi themed 3DS XL will be available alongside the upcoming 3DS title, 'Yoshi's New Island'
To tell you the truth, I kind of like this edition a little more than my Pikachu 3DS XL. :p Probably because I've had it for a whole year now.
Who is excited for this 3DS? Will any of you buy it or trade in your current 3DS system fot it? And who else will be playing Yoshi's New Island!?
630x.jpg

The Yoshi 3DS is, indeed, super cute, but I'm neither superficial nor rich enough to plop money down to trade in for it, especially since hubby and I have two perfectly good 3DSXLs as it is. :p

This thread shouldn't be dead. Here're some discussion topics:

"Grezzo Hiring To Make A ‘Legend,’ Could Be Majora’s Mask 3D". This is about as close to a confirmation as you can get without actually being a confirmation. I haven't played Majora's Mask yet, so I'm excited.

Persona Q is a thing. It's Persona 3 + 4 characters with Etrian Odyssey gameplay and art style, basically. I have yet to play either of those games, so I won't play this one until I do that, but I'm glad it exists.

Level 5's Fantasy Life is coming west! I've been wanting to play this game for forever, you guys. It looks like a cross between Animal Crossing and Dragon Quest, which can only turn out well.

Final Fantasy Explorers was recently announced! There's more juicy details here and here. What features would you like to see included? I'd like to see Monster Hunter-esque online, but I'm assuming that "4 player co-op" probably means friends only. The single player certainly looks fun, though.

Digimon World Re: Digitize Decode looks cool and it should totally come west. If you agree with me, there's a petition here to make that happen (which Bamco has acknowledged the existence of!). You can sign it, if you want. Or don't. It's your choice, man, but I'm just saying, you should.

The big Home Menu theme update is now available. Let's see... You get four or five themes pre-installed. They're all pretty basic mono-color deals, but they're all right. Of course there's the Theme Store, where you can buy and redeem codes for themes. Takes a good while to load up, at least when you want to see all themes. Basic pattern themes go for $1, where anything with custom music seems to go for $2. Here's a video showing the buying process and a few of the themes in action (I'd recommend playing the video at 2x speed, haha).

Aside from themes, the Home Menu got a lot of other tweaks. It definitely seems smoother; holding right on the d-pad to access stuff that's six squares away used to be a jittery affair, but that jitter is gone, and it even seems like there's a bit of acceleration in there, too. It seems like suspending games is less laggy, too. EDIT: Like, a lot less laggy. Suspending Pokemon X used to be "*press Home button* one, two, three... *suspend sound*". Now it's "*press Home button* *suspend sound*".

This is appreciated: You can now access the top row of icons (brightness, friends, game notes, browser, etc.) with the circle/d-pad! Those all used to be touch-only.

Notifications now functions closer to how phones do it; before you tap the button to read an unread notification, you'll see a banner with the title. Tapping that takes you directly to the notification.

And yeah, screenshots are now in... sorta. You can ONLY take screenshots of the Home Menu itself--you can't capture any games, even while they're suspended. Little bit odd, but you can directly share screenshots to Facebook/Twitter using the Nintendo 3DS Image Share thing that's used in Tomodachi Life and stuff, so I guess you could screenshot the title of a game and say "Look what I bought!"

And lastly, one non-Home Menu thing: The layout of game descriptions in the eShop has been totally revamped. On a title like Theathyrhtym Final Fantasy, you have the demo at the top of the touch screen with the wishlist button in the top-right, followed by trailers. You get to the description by scrolling down, and then you have images, publisher/player/genre info, "People who downloaded this also downloaded...", ratings, Related Genres, and Related Keywords, and then DLC at the bottom (I almost thought they got rid of that!). Certainly an improvement over the five icons in a carousel! You seem to be able to exit out to the home menu at any time--you sometimes had to wait 15 seconds before you could get back before.

EDIT: Found something very minor: When exiting a game, the sound played is the "Cancel" sound, rather than the "Confirm" sound, if that makes sense.

Hmm this is interesting. Wonder why it took so long for the update? This should have been update number 1 XD. Wonder why they waited?:)

They probably waited because this is all mostly cosmetic stuff in the UI and there are more important things that they've been doing like making new hardware (like the new handheld) and making sure games come out in time (like Smash).

dmaster out.

Yeah true but not sure why they did not have this update at the launch of the original 3DS. You would think this would have been the first update because when you buy a laptop or PC you can already do this with the regular keyboard. That is why it does not make sense to me. It is kind of like putting the cart before the horse not the horse before the cart XD.:)

Again, they didn't have this update earlier because it was just not really that important for them. Just like the latest Wii U update that includes folders. It's just cosmetic stuff; don't worry about why they had it earlier. The launch of the 3DS had more problems than not having cosmetic themes and a new layout for icons lol (like getting some decent freaking games out).

And comparing it to the way a keyboard in a laptop is a poor comparison. I'd liken it more to the way that Firefox/YouTube/Facebook does it's layout changes. They're not going to delay the development of browsers or websites for a cosmetic layout change, they roll them out as time goes on like everything else does.

dmaster out.

They just didn't think of it before...
As to why the 3DS is suddenly faster... I guess they found a way to push the limits and/or cut some corners.

Is the browser much faster? I updated mine a few days ago but have not tried the browser or anything else. Not sure when I can.:(

Does anyone think i should get a jp new 3ds? I REALLY wanted Flipnote Studio 3D, but I'm pretty sure they cancelled that. I heard that its pre-installed in the system, i saw it in an unboxing :D

Just wait for the English ones. You can get that anytime XD.:)

That is not a huge loss though because if you had a regular tablet the sound is in HD and that means better quality as well. The 3DS is good but it seriously needs to be updated to the modern tablet level if you know what I mean.:)

NameBlank said:
Wasn't Flipnote 3D confirmed to be cancelled?

Nah, it's still listed as a TBD release in NA and EU, but since they crippled the online stuff of the Japanese version (at the same time as when Swapnote was effectively shut down), I doubt it'll ever release here.

Today's Nintendo Direct just ended. There weren't too many crazy announcements, especially for 3DS--mostly release dates and trailers and such--but the big one was at the top: Majora's Mask 3D!

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj6cXziHpjQ&list=UUGIY_O-8vW4rfX98KlMkvRg[/video]​

Back