News 'Islands Waiting for You' and 'Moonlight of Alola': Japan's Next Sun and Moon TCG Set!

Yeaaahhh I was hopin for big money from Lele-GX and they delivered. Hopefully not in a literal sense. It's REALLY good. I have a feeling it won't be nearly as metagame centric as NXD Mewtwo-EX was at the time, however. Even the simple addition of the weakness clause dilutes it, and the context it's going to be played in is not quite as friendly. Still, solid and eminently usable.

And pretty much everything else here is too. Turtonator actually looks really fun. Slap a Bursting Balloon on that for some real deterrent (suffer 140 damage just for attacking as soon as the 1st turn [if you go second]? heck yes). Dhelmise has nice DMG mod. Tapu Koko-GX has a nuke GX attack and a like, bizarrely solid regular attack for 3 energy on a basic, coupled with an ability that can see Koko suddenly surging into the active slot and dishing out pain.

Alolan Sandslash has a neat and balanced ability with an attack that could see some kind of rotation deck built around it (though it's not quite strong enough rn, especially when contrasted with the better decks in that category such as Donphan). Salazzle is also neat, but mostly a bench sitter.

Wow sorry for long post but this is the most excited I've been for a set in ages.

Quite amazing cards.Salazzle can be the new laser-bank in standard format,Lele is quite broken, and Turntunator is also cool in Volcanion decks.Cant wait to build decks with them:)

MY SUPER EVALUATIONS
  • Tapu Koko - We will see this in theme decks, along with Lele. The attacks are pretty common.
  • Turtonator GX - This is awesome. 2-Energy Damage setup and a GX attack that makes Volc drool for a short time.
  • Koko GX - This is a Dragonite-EX comeback card, but exclusive to Lightning only. Forgot the GX attack, because, it's a OHKO attack, intersimilar to Gumshoos.
  • Salazzle - Bench-sitter. At least it gives a guarantee 10-30 damage every turn.
  • A-Sandslash - Bench-sitter. A Slurpuff without letting you draw 1 more card.
  • Dhelmise - Pls. make this a pre-release promo! Metallurgy = Steelworker.
  • Komala - Certain Sleep = Comatose . Weak version of Snorlax-GX but more speedy.
  • Golisopod - not bad.
  • Mimikyu - I think the attack must be Metronome. Mimic is like a Battle Reporter/Copycat effect. The other one is named Filch (courtesy of Sableye (XY)).
  • Aether Park - Nice!
  • Midnight Lycanroc - Nice!
  • Lele-GX - I give it "5 Geodudes"!. It is a rebirth of Jirachi-EX in the Standard Format! + A combination of Lugia/Mewtwo. So, if MMY is rotated, Lele will took its mantle. The GX attack is optional.
  • Other Promos - Nah, we'll get this in English, for sure
  • Guardians Rising - I really love this set already!

Last edited:
It's looking unfortunately like the usual middleman or ebay scalping case to get those deckboxes and promo packs.

Wow, I love that Tapu Lele-GX, so this is basically Jirachi-ex with 170 hp, no weakness and an amazing attack. I can't wait to use Tapu Lele-GX in my decks!

I love the Mimikyu artwork, with the small Substitute Doll in the background, so cute! And that Rowlet, and the Komalas omg, so adorable! :3
I also feel like if Tapu Fini had a GX card, why wouldn't it be released along with the rest of the Tapus? Maybe it will come in the SM2+ subset?

Turtonator GX existing doesn't really surprise me tbph. With SM1 having Drampa, its counterpart getting a GX was expected.
Also I find it funny that a pokemon which is shiny locked in the games gets a shiny form in the TCG. This is a first.

It's good they made golisopod as a grass type. It's not bad. It's pretty tank with new stadium. Toss on an assault vest and it resists 100 damage from special energy attackers...

I kinda hope it comes out with a GX soon before plant forest cycles out.

I think you released some Pokemon way too soon. Why can't they focus on the chronology of finding Pokemon in the game? They shouldn't have released the Tapu's until SM4 or 5. This way the sets feel so random.

The SM1 set was ok in terms of available Pokemon, although the Lapras should have been in SM2, with Lana. And Lurantis should have been alongside Mallow. Only Tapu Koko should have been in SM2.

My Thoughts

SM1 - Focus on Island 1: Ilima (With Gumshoos GX and Alolan Raticate GX), Professor Kukui and the Starter GX. This was pretty much done right.

SM2: - End of Island 1 - On to Island 2: Hala + Tapu Koko GX, Lana, Lapras GX, Wishiwashi GX - School Forme, Super Rod, Kiawe, Alolan Marowak, Salazzle GX

SM3: End Island 2: Mallow, Lurantis GX, Olivia, Lycanrock GX, Alolan Geodude line, Tapu Lele GX

SM4: Sophocoles, Vikavolt GX, etc

Well Tapu Lele is actually very good, but not meta-breaking because:

1) Jirachi-EX had 90 HP, and its ability was OP because it was searchable by Level Ball (and Tapu Lele is not);
2) Mewtwo-EX attack was affected by weakness, and Tapu Lele attack is not.

Pretty good card, balanced though.

I'm really excited about Tapu Koko. If Super Scoop Up is reprinted, then we will have all the ingredients for a good Switch'n'Scoop deck.

Turtonator GX existing doesn't really surprise me tbph. With SM1 having Drampa, its counterpart getting a GX was expected.
Also I find it funny that a pokemon which is shiny locked in the games gets a shiny form in the TCG. This is a first.
It happened with AOR in ORAS the box art legends and Ray were shiny-locked

Back