News 'Islands Waiting for You' and 'Moonlight of Alola': Japan's Next Sun and Moon TCG Set!

Ideally, a deck with Solgaleo GX will be trying to use their GX attack on turn 2, making Hala a Sycamore without the discard from turn 3 to the end of the match. There will definitely be some playtesting on balancing out Professor Sycamores with Halas since the only cards I really want to discard in my specific deck are single supporters so that I can have access to them with VS Seeker.

Is that Aether Stadium before or after weakness? Before could be a big enough deal for Grass decks and as a late game stadium after the usefulness of FoGP has passed hmm.

Since it is an effect on the defending player's Pokemon it should be after Weakness and Resistance. Typically it works that an effect that reduces damage taken (Hard Charm, Assault Vest, Steel Wing, Shield Energy) is after weakness and resistance, but an effect that reduces damage dealt (Parallel City, Jamming Net, Ferocious Below) is before weakness and resistance.

The Lycanroc-GX sounds like a huge counter to Mega Ray players (on the SM2 Tapu Bulu-GX page.)

I also like the flexibility to do 120 or 180. And 30 for one G is always good on a basic. Lurantis I have noticed struggles with its low damage output of 120. It might have a perfect partner here.

Nice! SM2 is in terms of the Sun and Moon storyline: from the first grand trial on island 1 to Meeting Mallow on island 2. I saw that Lana was a promo, could that mean she's in this set too? Or do we see her and Whishiwashi GX in SM3?

I like that we see more character full arts in SM, than we saw in XY...

All of these are good. But what idiot gave bully no weakness? It hasn't x4 weakness to poison.

Double post for hala (last post was for the other three)

This card is good. Especially in decks running cramps GX cuz you just shuffle draw 10 and the next the rest of the game you shuffle draw 7. Legit

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm liking the idea of effects changing if a GX attack has been used. It won't be long before we get a Pokemon that has an attack or ability with an "If your opponent has used a GX attack this game, then..." effect.

I'm liking the idea of effects changing if a GX attack has been used. It won't be long before we get a Pokemon that has an attack or ability with an "If your opponent has used a GX attack this game, then..." effect.
You saw this a lot, lot more with Pokémon-ex, i.e. the Ruby&Sapphire block, than you ever did with the recent Pokémon-EX. Considering GX has more in common with ex than EX, they hopefully continue in this direction. It was, quite simply, more fun.

I have to say. For standard decks this could help with winning. Tapu Bulu with no weakness is amazing considering we had other EX's with no weakness. Or am I wrong? Anyways Tapu Bulu could change the pace.

All of these are good. But what idiot gave bully no weakness? It hasn't x4 weakness to poison.
Well. There might be a reason for that. If I am correct Tapu Bulu is strong. So they were probably lazy and gave him no weakness. But this could make a good deck. Perhaps Zoroark Break maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tapu Bulu-GX is actually quite a beautiful looking card. All 4 Tapu GX definitely makes Guardians Rising an appealing set.

All good cards.

Lycanroc has an amazing ability, and the standard "1 and a DCE for 110~"
Very solid attacker overall; combined with the ability, you can blow-up many set-up mons, or M Rayquaza.

The stadium is good, but... it has some very good competition.
Forest of Giant Plants for [G].
Rough Seas for [L].

In a deck with very little evolution, I can see Wallys being placed in, and Forest losing it's spot to this new stadium.
Rough Seas is a tougher sell, however... As it more or less does the same job.
I think this one comes down to whether Water or Grass is more prevalent in the meta, as you'd prefer to only be helping yourself.
Sidenote: Preventing damage is better than healing, as it can prevent OHKOs.

Tapu BuluGX has a very niche role, but I think it can fit in well with a LurantisGX deck.
Tapu Bulu will discard energy with Nature's Madness, which allows LurantisGX to accelerate it with it's first attack.
Tapu Bulu also has synergy with this new stadium, as he can heal off damage; further increasing his longevity.

I really like the idea of Nature's Madness + Max Potion.

Great cards here, overall!

Last edited:
Expanded virizion bulu with FFB and this new stadium? has plenty room for flexibility, maybe add archeops

Wow... I can see scary things you could do with Tapu Bulu - and perhaps the other Tapu's as well. Natural zero weakness is an incredible rarity - and this is the first time I've seen having it on a 180 HP basic! o.o

One deck idea I have is to combine it with the non-GX Lurantis to boost damage output. Keep dealing lots of damage with one energy until the big knockout from the three energy attack. Add the Aether Conservation, Fury Belt, and Max Potion; and it will be one tough card to knock out.

Double post for hala (last post was for the other three)

This card is good. Especially in decks running cramps GX cuz you just shuffle draw 10 and the next the rest of the game you shuffle draw 7. Legit
Bulu has x4 weakness to Poison, and is weak x2 to Steel, Flying, Fire and Ice... far from weakness free!

Back