Help ZoroROC Standard Bad Matchup...

astro_gnat

"In my experience there's no such thing as luck."
I know Zoro/Lycanroc in Standard has a touch matchup against anything buzzwole and buzzwole is the hotness right now. However I love how the Zoro/Lycanroc deck plays and I think is still a strong deck. (please tell me why if you think otherwise)
Here are two deck lists, one Zoro/Lycanroc (me) and one Buzz/Lycanroc (opp). Also aware Buzz Garb is popular but this question is really related to any Buzz varient. What are some good strategies/angles when playing against this deck? What are some ways I can pull ahead?

My Deck:
4 Rockruff PR-SM SM06
3 Lycanroc-GX GRI 74
4 Zorua SLG 52
3 Zoroark-GX SLG 53
2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
1 Mew EX XY126
1 Mewtwo EVO
2 N FCO 105
2 Cynthia ULP
3 Brigette BKT 134
2 Professor Kukui SUM 128
2 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
2 Guzma BUS 115
1 Mallow GRI 127
1 Acerola BUS 112
4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
3 Choice Band GRI 121
2 Field Blower GRI 125
2 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
1 Float Stone BKT 137
1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
1 Energy Loto GRI 122
4 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90
3 Strong Energy FCO 115
2 Fighting Energy Energy 31

Opponent's Deck
3 Buzzwole-GX CIN 57
2 Rockruff GRI 73
2 Lycanroc-GX GRI 74
1 Remoraid BKT 31
1 Remoraid BKT 32
2 Octillery BKT 33
2 Regirock-EX FCO 43
1 Sudowoodo BKP 67
1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
4 N FCO 105
4 Guzma BUS 115
3 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
4 Max Elixir BKP 102
4 Float Stone BKT 137
3 Choice Band GRI 121
1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
1 Field Blower GRI 125
9 Fighting Energy Energy 31
4 Strong Energy FCO 115

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard, but not as hard as you think it is. If you manage to put a Mew-EX early on, you get enough advantage to just snowball the game. Buzzwole takes a while to setup to fully setup the second attacker (they'll most of the time chip damage with the active while they energize the benched). Play Mew-EX, Guzma the benched and you'll get far ahead in the game.
Zoroark is consistent enough to give you the pieces to perform this combo, it's not just luck a Zoroark variant beat BuzzGarb last regionals

Hi I used to play Zoroark GX/Lycanroc GX as well and I played against a Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX, at St. Luis Regoinals and it wasn't that bad of a mach up to be honest, even though I lost this was how the games went:

Game 1:

Got set up turn 2 with mew EX and Smoked my opponent.

Game 2:

Completely Bricked starting 2 Rockruff, fighting energy and 2 Guzma and just Guzmed up some Regirocks to stall, and eventually set up and the game came really close at the end but I whiffed the Guzma for game :(

Game three:

Whiffed even worse than game two and got donked.

Over all It is only a bad mach up if you brick like me 2 games in a row, but if you do set up then you can out speed your opponent and steam roll them with Mew EX. Personally I think you should play a 4-4 Zoroark GX line for consistency, says the guy who bricked really bad 2 games in a row :).

just use mewtwo, mew-EX and lycanroc-GX, never attack with zoroark, only use it for trade.

Hi I used to play Zoroark GX/Lycanroc GX as well and I played against a Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX, at St. Luis Regoinals and it wasn't that bad of a mach up to be honest, even though I lost this was how the games went:

Game 1:

Got set up turn 2 with mew EX and Smoked my opponent.

Game 2:

Completely Bricked starting 2 Rockruff, fighting energy and 2 Guzma and just Guzmed up some Regirocks to stall, and eventually set up and the game came really close at the end but I whiffed the Guzma for game :(

Game three:

Whiffed even worse than game two and got donked.

Over all It is only a bad mach up if you brick like me 2 games in a row, but if you do set up then you can out speed your opponent and steam roll them with Mew EX. Personally I think you should play a 4-4 Zoroark GX line for consistency, says the guy who bricked really bad 2 games in a row :).
Thanks for all the great feedback everyone.
Possible since the deck has two stage one lines and one of which needs two energy attachments to start rolling, that consistency can be an issue? What are some deck slots that can be used to help that? I know Pram using Energy Lotto at Memphis was a success.

Getting enough energy was never a problem. Zoroark's trade ability do wonders and that + draw supporter you can get what you want pretty much every turn. The problem is attach the 2 needed energy for Lycanroc's attack, which you can run a Multiswitch as one-of (I've already seen some decklists playing this card and I was playing before switching to Parallel City - but just because of my city meta, but I'm still using it online).
But again, Mew-EX and Mewtwo are your best friend this match. You can KO any Buzzwole with a full bench with Mew-EX and Mewtwo with its 130 HP can grab a key KO while possibly surviving another turn.

(In Expanded)
I was able to take the game against a fight deck (with a deck that ran no Mew) by learning that it was a fight deck early on. I dropped all Zoroark; didn't even bench any Zorua, and used Lycanroc only. Considering my deck has like 2 draw supporters, It was probably just luck.

Back