Ruling Zoroark's Foul Play Question

Briaah

The voices may not be REAL but they have good idea
71-zoroark.jpg
113-reshiram.jpg

(sorry about the huge image...smallest zoroark I could find xP)

So earlier today my brother and I were having a deck battle. He was using a lock deck and I was using a Reshiram variant. I had a Reshiram in the active spot and he had a Zoroark. He used Foul Play and copied Blue Flare to knock out Reshi. So now, the secondary effect of Reshi's Blue Flare says to discard 2 fire energies. We were thinking that this didn't apply to Zoroark since Foul Play just copies any move for only a DCE therefore he doesn't have any fire energies. But would he just discard 2 energies anyways?

Thanks in advance.

When it comes to foul play, you do as much of the attack as possible. If zoroark has a DCE attached to him you may copy blue flare and you do not discard anything, but if zoroark has one or two fire energy on him you must discard them.

This question's already been answered in the stickied FAQ, actually:

Q. If I use Zoroark's Foul Play and copy an attack that requires me to discard Energy, e.g. Magnezone LV.X's Cyber Shock, and I cannot discard that Energy from Zoroark, what happens? What about if I copied Emboar's Flare Blitz?
A. If Zoroark has that kind of energy attached to it, you must discard it if you are able. However, if Zoroark doesn't have that energy, the attack will still do its damage even if you discard nothing, as Foul Play does not require you to do everything else to perform that attack.

If you are using an effect such as Luxray GL's Trash Bolt which requires you to fulfill an effect or the attack fails, and you cannot fulfill the effect, the attack will fail.

Look there first to see if your question's been answered already; the questions are ordered chronologically.

Back