Zoroark, Zorua from “Night Wanderer”

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Zoroark and Zorua have been revealed from Night Wanderer, which releases in Japan on June 7th. Cards from Night Wanderer will become part of our Shrouded Fable set on August 2nd.
Zorua – Darkness – HP70
Basic Pokémon
[C] Stampede: 10 damage.
[D][C] Double Scratch: 20x damage. Flip 2 coins. This attack does 20 damage for each heads.
Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 1...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Again, why not just use "Rule Box"? You can't even argue it'd make it hit unintended targets, since it does the same amount of damage anyway.
Either to intentionally exclude Radiant Pokémon or to purposely make it not future proof, but I agree, it's kind of stupid.
EDIT: just noticed I was a few seconds late 😅
Because Radiant pokémon are also Rule Box pokémon. And who knows, maybe we'll get other single-prize-rule-box pokémon once they rotate which they also don't want to include.
I think they should've made "Multi-Prize" a term, even if it exists alongside Rule Box

You could probably use this in Dark type decks to counter Ogerpon.

Because Radiant pokémon are also Rule Box pokémon. And who knows, maybe we'll get other single-prize-rule-box pokémon once they rotate which they also don't want to include.
What is the problem, though? As I said, this does exact same damage to Radiant Pokemon, so the only "downside" is that playing Radiant Pokemon would give it another 60. This card isn't strong enough for another 60 to make it broken.

So if for some reason your opponent has a full board of ex, then this can KO any of them for a double colorless. Though really you only need 4 basics before it starts to reliably nuke them.

Would be good but as a tech if it wasn’t a stage 1. Still worth it if you have a bad BoltPon matchup.

What is the problem, though? As I said, this does exact same damage to Radiant Pokemon, so the only "downside" is that playing Radiant Pokemon would give it another 60. This card isn't strong enough for another 60 to make it broken.
I think they are future proofing for when they introduce mega ex or whatever.

Little brother here knows nothing about game design

Again, why not just use "Rule Box"? You can't even argue it'd make it hit unintended targets, since it does the same amount of damage anyway.
I think it's an anti- power creep effort. Except for Ability locking effects (all of which are noticeably weaker than ones that already exist in Expanded), they've consistently chosen the phrasing that makes the card weaker.

I think they are future proofing for when they introduce mega ex or whatever.
Well Mega-ex would probably still count as ex, depending on how they print them. But why wouldn't a card printed now be future-proofed to hit targets in the future?
Little brother here knows nothing about game design
Going to take a wild guess that I've been a game designer longer than you've been an adult.
I think it's an anti- power creep effort. Except for Ability locking effects (all of which are noticeably weaker than ones that already exist in Expanded), they've consistently chosen the phrasing that makes the card weaker.
I mean, this "effort" has previously made cards like Shaymin EX ridiculously overpowered. There's been 14 cards that use the word "Rule Box" and it has never been used in an attack up to this point. I understand protecting Expanded, but Expanded is already in shambles.

I guess it's a solid one-prize attacker into... Raging Bolt Ogerpon? Maybe Charizard? I guess maybe Legacy Energy Lugia? It feels like it solves a problem that doesn't exist unless your deck is just bad.

Let us assume the opponet has a full bench in addition to an active Pokémon. Now let us assume four Pokemon are either Pokémon V or Pokémon ex and the active Pokémon is a HP 330 Pokémon ex. The remaining Pokémon consist of Radiant Greninja - who has a rule box - and Bibarel or another non-rule box Pokémon. In this scenario Zoroark hits for 240 damage, which is far off from a ohko. If Zoroark would count all rule-box Pokémon it would hit for 300 in the same scenario, which could yield a ohko with Kiéran increasing the damage output.

Thus, whether Radiant Pokßemon count toward Zoroark's damage can actually matter. In addition Pokemon may not want Zoroark as a counter to the next two- or thress-prize Pokémon they introduce after Pokémon ex. The RR cards such as ex and V sell booster boxes after all ;).

Pokemon typically separates ex/V for balance purposes and futureproofing.
Well Mega-ex would probably still count as ex, depending on how they print them. But why wouldn't a card printed now be future-proofed to hit targets in the future?

Going to take a wild guess that I've been a game designer longer than you've been an adult.

I mean, this "effort" has previously made cards like Shaymin EX ridiculously overpowered. There's been 14 cards that use the word "Rule Box" and it has never been used in an attack up to this point. I understand protecting Expanded, but Expanded is already in shambles.
It's proofed to specifically not hit targets in the future. How did the Rule Box addition make Shamin EX overpowered? It was broke to begin with. This can also protect formats immediately after Zoroark- it is a late gen mon, so it's not gonna be very long before new rule box mons exist which zoroark may not be able to hit.

keep in mind that anyone can at any time make the decision to refer to themselves as a game designer regardless of merit and multiple people have made entire careers off of speaking from the unearned authority labeling oneself that way got them. but more importantly, i think the response you received questioning your foresight as someone who at least after the fact claims to have a game design background might have to do with your myopia when it comes to this particular topic. the answer to the question of "why don't they use a much broader umbrella term for this attack than the more specific one" is quite simply that they wanted to use more specific targets for the effect instead of the broader umbrella term. it isn't a failing or a mistake when the card R&D make a decision to not use the broadest or most infinitely convenient effect text on a card, in fact. it's probably on purpose, and coming to understand why one might make such a decision on purpose or even, god forbid, why every card revealed might not be the most powerful or open-ended possible version of itself one can imagine is probably going to help ground and strengthen your "game designer" perspective going forward.

Rule box means it would still work with Gen 10 Rule box pokemons.. Probably Zoroark will still be in standard during first block of 10th Gen sets
as unlikely as it is (sadly) i would really prefer if lowercase-ex weren't retired for a much longer time because they're inevitably going to be retired in favor of uppercase-EX-styled fully-evolved big basics again, which we are almost finally rid of (again).

Last edited:
Back