• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Zoroark GX Lycanroc GX

SmiteKnight

Destroying half the universe one snap at a time
Pokemon-15

4 Zorua BKT

3 Zoroark GX SHL

1 Zoroark BKT

3 Rockruff GRI

2 Lycanroc GX GRI

2 Tapu Koko SUM

Items-19

4 Ultra Ball-SUM

1 Special Charge STS

3 Field Blower GUR

3 Choice Band GUR

2 Float Stone BKT

2 Rescue Stretcher GUR

4 Nest Ball SUM

Energy-11

4 DCE

3 Fighting

4 Rainbow

Supporters-15

3 Sycamore BKT

4 N FCO

2 Mallow GRI

3 Guzma BUS

3 Acerola

Total -60

Last edited:
Looks like I'm not the only one looking at the Japanese meta, unless this was just on your own whim. Zoroark GX/Lycanroc GX is very popular in Japan right now.

There's a bit too much Lycanroc here for my taste. A 3/2 or 2/2 line is really all that's necessary. Also not sure why you're using the Sudowoodo when Lycanroc GX's GX attack relies on your opponent's bench size.

I'm currently questioning the effectiveness of this build because Golisopod/Garbodor is very popular. Using Lycanroc GX is a near auto loss due to grass weakness, and the ability is pretty bad against a deck that plays 4 Float stone, 3-4 Guzma, and 3 Acerola. Lycanroc GX is popular in Japan because everyone is playing Zoroark GX which has a fighting weakness, but that's not so true over here.

You also aren't running any Rainbow Energy + Acerola in order to remove Lycanroc GX's off the field when you no longer need them and don't want them to become a liability, aka getting OHKO'd by Golisopod GX.

I also question the lack of Mallow when you're running a 4/4 Zoroark GX line. Play Mallow before using its ability and you guarantee 2 cards, like a DCE and a Choice Band.

I really don't see a point in 3 nest ball and 3 brooklet hill. I especially don't see a point in brooklet hill when every deck is running Octillery right now. People will take advantage of it. Just play 4 nest ball. That's plenty of basic searching

If you want a counter to Alolan Ninetales BUS and the new Hoopa, play a Zoroark from Breakthrough with Mind Jack. It only needs a single DCE to attack and is much more efficient. I recommend a 4/3/1 Zorua/GX/non-GX line up in Zoroark focused decks.

I would also recommend a 3rd field blower. All of your key Pokemon have abilities. Lycanroc loses half of its value if you are ability locked by Garbotoxin.

Lastly, find some room for 2 Tapu Koko promo. Flying Flip will help you close numbers even if you're missing choice band, plus it's a Guzma target.

Looks like I'm not the only one looking at the Japanese meta, unless this was just on your own whim. Zoroark GX/Lycanroc GX is very popular in Japan right now.

There's a bit too much Lycanroc here for my taste. A 3/2 or 2/2 line is really all that's necessary. Also not sure why you're using the Sudowoodo when Lycanroc GX's GX attack relies on your opponent's bench size.

I'm currently questioning the effectiveness of this build because Golisopod/Garbodor is very popular. Using Lycanroc GX is a near auto loss due to grass weakness, and the ability is pretty bad against a deck that plays 4 Float stone, 3-4 Guzma, and 3 Acerola. Lycanroc GX is popular in Japan because everyone is playing Zoroark GX which has a fighting weakness, but that's not so true over here.

You also aren't running any Rainbow Energy + Acerola in order to remove Lycanroc GX's off the field when you no longer need them and don't want them to become a liability, aka getting OHKO'd by Golisopod GX.

I also question the lack of Mallow when you're running a 4/4 Zoroark GX line. Play Mallow before using its ability and you guarantee 2 cards, like a DCE and a Choice Band.

I really don't see a point in 3 nest ball and 3 brooklet hill. I especially don't see a point in brooklet hill when every deck is running Octillery right now. People will take advantage of it. Just play 4 nest ball. That's plenty of basic searching

If you want a counter to Alolan Ninetales BUS and the new Hoopa, play a Zoroark from Breakthrough with Mind Jack. It only needs a single DCE to attack and is much more efficient. I recommend a 4/3/1 Zorua/GX/non-GX line up in Zoroark focused decks.

I would also recommend a 3rd field blower. All of your key Pokemon have abilities. Lycanroc loses half of its value if you are ability locked by Garbotoxin.

Lastly, find some room for 2 Tapu Koko promo. Flying Flip will help you close numbers even if you're missing choice band, plus it's a Guzma target.

I went and made the changes you suggested. Does this look less cluncky and more effective? Also, is this deck even effective in a Golisopod heavy meta?

Pokemon-15

4 Zorua BKT

3 Zoroark GX SHL

1 Zoroark BKT

3 Rockruff GRI

2 Lycanroc GX GRI

2 Tapu Koko SUM

Items-19

4 Ultra Ball-SUM

1 Special Charge STS

3 Field Blower GUR

3 Choice Band GUR

2 Float Stone BKT

2 Rescue Stretcher GUR

4 Nest Ball SUM

Energy-11

4 DCE

3 Fighting

4 Rainbow

Supporters-15

3 Sycamore BKT

4 N FCO

2 Mallow GRI

3 Guzma BUS

3 Acerola

Total -60

Also, in a Golisopod matchup, would you just not ever use lycanroc and rely on Zoroark+Tapu koko to fill bench space?

I've been working up a list like this myself as well, and I completely abandoned it because of Golisopod GX and Tapu Bulu. Collectively, grass is about 1/5th of the overall meta right now. It's a really bad time for Lycanroc to come into play.

Lately I've been looking at Alolan Ninetales GX and Salazzle GX as Zoroark GX partners for our meta. I haven't locked in a list I have absolute confidence in yet.

I've been working up a list like this myself as well, and I completely abandoned it because of Golisopod GX and Tapu Bulu. Collectively, grass is about 1/5th of the overall meta right now. It's a really bad time for Lycanroc to come into play.

Lately I've been looking at Alolan Ninetales GX and Salazzle GX as Zoroark GX partners for our meta. I haven't locked in a list I have absolute confidence in yet.
Could you use reshiram SHL to deal with golisopod?

Not really. You have to be basically dead for Outrage to OHKO, and the 2nd attack requires 3 energy which will take forever to get set up.

It's not tanky enough and its energy requirements make it too slow. You would need full focus fire as opposed to just teching in 1 fire attacker.

Even Turtonator GX's Shell Trap for 1 DCE would be a better pick, but it's not enough to get you past a full army of Golisopod GX.

You basically have to get 2 hit KOs faster than Golisopod does, and you won't be doing that because they can use a single rainbow energy to attack and Acerola away anything that you damage with much more frequency than Zoroark GX can.

I played against golisopod garbodor (the same list that won worlds) and came up on top 2-1. I did this through a combination of acerola spam and using bloodthirsty eyes to kill the wimpods before they could set up golisopds. I think that this deck has a fighting chance agains goli.

Thanks for the feedback. Right now I think there are 3 builds of Zoroark GX that have the most potential.

1. Gardevoir GX/Zoroark GX. Zoroark GX removes Gardevoir's bad match up to Metagross GX and makes Mallow a much more viable supporter to replace Skyla allowing you to search for 2 of any card instead of just 1 trainer card, making the deck far more consistent. Gardevoir GX also has access to Gallade, which can OHKO Zoroark GX, and Zoroark GX cannot OHKO it back without Sky Field, which we do not have in our meta. Thanks to Diancie or Alolan Vulpix, you can pretty much have Zoroark GX on turn 2 most of your games to fuel the rest of your game. I expect this to be the best build since you have the highest consistensty and the easiest damage outlets. Secret spring can use fairy energy to charge up Zoroark GX in one turn if you encounter Xurkitrees in the future.

2. Alolan Ninetales GX/Zoroark GX. Zoroark GX gives Alolan Ninetales GX a middle ground attacker that is much more efficient than using Blizzard Edge in 2 hit KO scenarios. The discard naturally synchronizes with water energy & aqua patch - you will no longer have to suffer from Sycamoring away both a water and an aqua patch because it was the only play you had.

3. Zoroark GX/Lycanroc GX. This deck needs to out speed and out control your match up and take advantage of opposing Zoroark GX as much as possible. Everyone running Octillery is going to replace it with Zoroark GX, almost completely guaranteed. I have not play tested this deck myself yet as I am honeslty skeptical of the energy counts. Lower than 10 energy cards actually bugs me quite a bit. I have no idea how top decks in Japan get away with 7 or 8 energy cards in their Zoroark tool box/Lycanroc decks. It probably only works because everyone has the same low odds of drawing into energy. I experimented with a 4 DCE 4 Rainbow energy build and I would sometimes brick on energy for 3 turns straight.

I have noticed energy bricking some times even when playing 11 energy (3 Fighting, 4 DCE, 4 Rainbow), however, mallow really helps with this and as long as at least 1 zoroark GX is set up, trade really helps (and you can riotous beat).

Is Regirock CRI necessary? I'm thinking of building this deck and don't think regirock works as it is a fighting and dce, but 2 fighting and a colourless

Back