• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Zoroark/Alolan Muk Post-Bans

Chicken Nugget Master

I had the munchies when I came up with my username
As Hex Maniac has now been banned from the Expanded Format, there is to be no more Hex Chaining your opponent's Sudowoodo and Egg Filling your bench, which leads me back to a metagame that dominated last year's Dallas regionals of Zoroark/Alolan Muk. This list plays a heavier count of Alolan Muk to ensure getting one down onto the board every game.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 1 Alolan Grimer BUS 83
* 3 Zorua DEX 70
* 1 Zorua BLW 70
* 4 Zoroark-GX PR-SM SM84
* 1 Sudowoodo GRI 66
* 1 Exeggcute PLF 4
* 1 Alolan Grimer SUM 57
* 1 Mewtwo-EX PR-BLW BW45
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 2 Alolan Muk SUM 58
* 1 Seismitoad-EX FFI 20

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 1 Dowsing Machine PLS 128
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 N FCO 105
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Hypnotoxic Laser PLS 123
* 1 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Karen PR-XY XY177
* 3 Brigette BKT 134
* 1 Copycat CES 127
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Colress PLS 118
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 Sky Field ROS 89
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 4

* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I'll go over all of the honourable mentions here:

2-2 Alolan Muk line (1 of each Grimer):

As stated, Alolan Muk becomes a necessity in Zoroark decks Post-Bans due to the fact that there is no other way to shut off Sudowoodo's Ability whilst keeping Trade active. I play a 2-2 line so that if 1 piece of the puzzle (R.I.P.) should be prized, there is still another one in deck ready to be played. I would play 2 Division Grimer as getting another Grimer onto the board for free to ensure you can set Muk up next turn is very good, but as Buzzwole GX melts through it like a knife through butter, I play a [P] type Grimer so that Buzzwole has a harder time 1HKOing it. Bear in mind it does only have 80HP though, and Buzzwole in Expanded can easily hit 80 damage with a Jet Punch thanks to all of the damage modifiers it has available to it (Beast Energy and Diancie will be the most often way it does this). When Ditto Prism Star comes out however, I will be reducing this down to a 1-1 line and instead opting to go for a "5-5" Zoroark line. I'm not sure how this will work as I haven't tested it yet, but time will surely tell.

1 Seismitoad EX and 1 Karen:

I am a firm believer that any deck in Expanded that plays Double Colorless Energy should play 1 copy of Seismitoad EX, as it is just too good not to play. 30 Damage is not much (Although it does KO a Joltik), but item lock is very hard to counter in Expanded now (Think Pokémon Ranger) and can really stall your opponent out of a turn when it needs to. Not to mention a Seismitoad and Karen combo with Alolan Muk on the bench pretty much forces Night March to concede then and there. I not only play Karen as a Night March counter though, it is also a viable recovery option mid to late game.

Dowsing Machine (Not Computer Search):

One thing Zoroark really loses Post-Bans is recovery options, so I have opted to play Dowsing Machine in order to try and restore this. Computer Search is not needed, I find, with all the consistency Trainers' Mail gives you, so I would rather be able to re-use my 1 of Hypnotoxic Laser (more on that in a second) than to guarantee 1 card going into my hand.

Hypnotoxic Laser:

In short: Hypno Laser is brilliant. No two ways about it. It helps you hit the numbers so much better, as the extra 10 damage that Poison provides is often crucial when calculating a KO. It can even be used as a stalling option (A pretty terrible one though, as there is only a 25% chance that your opponent will be put to sleep and stay asleep) if need be. Let's take a look at all of the maths it sets up:

Zoroark w/ full Sky Field Bench: 180 (Plus 10 is 190, Buzzwole)

Zoroark w/ full Sky Field Bench and Choice Band: 210 (Plus 10 is 220, minus Resistance is 200, Sylveon)

Mewtwo w/ DCE and Choice Band attached, and 1 Energy on Buzzwole: 180 (Plus 10 is 190, Buzzwole)

(This next one is very unlikely, but just something to consider)
Your opponent is playing Seismitoad LaserBank, and Virbank City is the active Stadium. If you have a bench of 5 Pokémon plus a Choice Band on your active Zoroark, you hit 150. With Virbank City in play, Poison will do 30 damage, and 150 + 30 is 180, which KOs the opponent's Seismitoad.

To summarise, Hypnotoxic Laser is very good at setting up numbers, and I wouldn't drop it for anything, and I would advise you to do the same.

Copycat:

This is simply useful in the mirror match, or if you want to refill your deck as you are getting close to decking out. Not much else, just it's an alternative draw Supporter to Colress.

I think I've covered just about everything with this deck, I should be taking it to a League Challenge next weekend, so I'll report back on how that goes. As usual, all questions will be answered, and all suggestions are welcomed!

Back