Zombies...

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
For some apparent reason today's young teenagers and adults seem to have a deep fascination with zombies to the point where they fear that something like that could indeed happen in real life. Novels such as World War Z have been published and there's even a survival guide to stay alive in the event of a massive zombie outbreak.

I remember hearing that the recent H1N1 virus caused some hysteria in terms of getting people to think that people were going to turn into zombies instead of pigs (swine flu). Then I keep hearing rumors about a small zombie outbreak in Haiti and whatnot which I don't find true at all.

I don't believe that a Zombie Apocalypse is near but I'm just saying that humans need to be extra careful with technology to not let a virus strain similiar to that which turns humans into zombies actually occur in real life.

We've seen it all in fictional media with Anime such as Highschool of the Dead, video games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and the like hopefully it will stay that way. It would be insane for the U.S. Government to keep a secret about real-life zombies from the public which isn't as strange as aliens from outer space.

What's your take on it?

i for one dont beleive zombies exist and if someone makes a drug / virus that turns people into "zombies" then youre screwed unless u kill then like in hotd most people would die if a zombie outbreak occured

Something that is death cannot possibly function, or even move. It's biological impossible. Case closed.

Viruses cannot do these things either. Something that may come close to 'zombies' are certain poisons. Poison of a pufferfishin certain concentrations is known to cause a sort of trance in which the contaminated person is in an almost unconcious state where they cannot possible think of their own and almost obey anyone who gives them orders. This has happened in real life, people where given the right amounts of poison, just enough not to be lethal, and these people have been used to do mostly fieldwork. I'll see if I can find any sort of documentary about this. Nevermind I found something:

Puffer poisoning usually results from consumption of incorrectly prepared puffer soup, fugu chiri, or occasionally from raw puffer meat, sashimi fugu. While chiri is much more likely to cause death, sashimi fugu often causes intoxication, light-headedness, and numbness of the lips, and is often eaten for this reason. Puffer's (tetrodotoxin) poisoning deadens the tongue and lips, and induces dizziness and vomiting, followed by numbness and prickling over the body, rapid heart rate, decreased blood pressure, and muscle paralysis. The toxin paralyzes diaphragm muscles and stops the person who has ingested it from breathing. People who live longer than 24 hours typically survive, although possibly after a coma lasting several days. Some people claim to have remained fully conscious throughout the coma, and can often recount events that occurred while they were supposedly unconscious. The paralysis reduces oxygen demands of the body dramatically, but because the toxin does not cross the blood-brain barrier, neural activity in the brain and from the eyes and ears are generally intact. In Voodoo, puffer's poison must be part of the mixture given to the victim to make them a "zombie", most likely because the paralysis and pseudo-comatose effect simulate the death portion of traditional zombie creation.

Partially removal of the brain may also result in 'zombie' like people, it has been done a lot around and after WWII, especially in Sovjet Russia.

We are only so obsessed with zombies because that is how we think the world will end (though I don't believe in the zombie apocolypse). It's kind of like how people in the 70s or some year around there thought the world would end through blowing up by atomic bombs. Therefore, these people had an obsession of atom bombs.

One,I do not believe in Zombies.Two,Zombies shant ever occur and is just a state of mind or fear.Finally,people allow these things to enter and ravage thier mind leaving them fearful of the worst.If you allow it to conquer, you will be fearful the rest of your life.Choose to disbelieve it and it wont seem much of a problem but a fading memory.

Personally, I think people play too easily into popular mindsets. While I don't mind Zombies in fiction, believing in them in real-life is completely silly. First off, I've heard countless claims of how the undead can be revived through practices such as Voodoo, yet no physical evidence has ever emerged. I haven't seen any reanimated corpses, just inert forms of the departed at funerals. Furthermore, the notion of a 'zombie apocalypse' only arouse out of such hysterias as mentioned earlier. People just need to get over themselves is all.

Maybe you are taking people too seriously?

I LOVE zombies. Books, movies, and whatnot about zombies I eat up. I have a whole plan for the zombie apocalypse. Of course honestly I know it is just fiction, but it is fun to pretend otherwise. The books you mentioned were just for fun. I don't know anyone who is seriously considering a zombie invasion or anything, but I sure act like I am xP

People treat zombies too seriously. The dead could never come back, as cells have died and cannot be revived, which means no moving limb, no moving cadaver. I do however, love blowing off arms and other parts of zombies in Left 4 Dead :p

I HATE zombies in fiction stories and shows/movies. They just creep me out so much and scare me to death. I hate seeing them or reading about them. Especially seeing them on that show on AMC (which I don't watch but I've seen commercials and they still scare me). If zombies ever do come alive (which I still don't think they will do) I wouldn't last very long because I would be paralyzed in fear.

Yay a zombie thread. (BTW guys your missing out the walking dead, that show is AWESOME!)
The zombie genre is in my top 5 favorite genre's. However (talking very VERY low chances) we would most certainly be fine even if they did make a virus that turned dead man into felsh eating creatures. In the movies and T.V. shows we have learned, okay do that, pack this, don't do that and don't pack this.

The movies and T.V. shows exagerrate the fear and lack of common sense people have. These movies and shows are designed to make you cringe and hope the the 5 main characters stay alive to find survivors. But this is real life, imagine EVERYONE is the main character, everyone has just as much comon sense as everyone else, this is why it's common. However there are many types of zombies to consider.
L4D zombies.
Blind, yet adapt to hearing and scent zombies.
Ordinary walkers
Rage zombies.
Before anyone can make a proper escape plan they must know what senses remain and what don't in the zombie. If this information isn't delivered then you could be packing the completely wrong things. (Why am I taking it this far) You keep saying that once a body starts decaying it becomes impossible that it could be revived. It is possible to revive a body that heart has been stopped, but only if the heart has been stoped for a very short period of time. After that the oxygen and blood can't reach the ends of limbs and brain, the brain is then starved and can't give information. The nutrients in the body have been stopped and then the body starts to decay. Unless the virus is airbourne, and move to different bodies on it's own will then the body will continue to decay until it became bones, these bones are just material and cannot be infected. So I finish with, stop fretting about a global outbreak, turn the light off when you sleep and just enjoy the 18+ blood carnage genre.

Zombies are completly fake. The reason people think they're real is because they play to much Left 4 Dead or watch to many movies. I know theres stuff like symptoms. I know Puffer fish like Pokequaza said can cause stuff like that. So don't worry the Zombies will never kill you.

The Walking Dead is only like my favorite show, Delta. I have it set to record every new episode and I am asking for the comic book for Christmas.

And I still stand by what I said before, I don't think anyone is being serious when they say that a zombie apocalypse is near. Just having fun

I believe in Zombies. Go to your local Church to see a whole group of them!

All kidding aside (not really), Zombies are another fun myth. We come very close to making them, but the zombies we think of will never be real. We have all seen HOSD, and we know that that is a realistic response post out-break. The thing is, getting the virus in such a circumstance is impossible. We will doubtfully see any event where people move at will while dead, but we could see a spread of disease FROM corpses. Just my 2 cents :)

Back