• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Yveltal EX / Garbodor for Regionals

SpeedyJ

Aspiring Trainer
Hi guys,

I used to play Yveltal/Manectric but realized Garbodor would probably be a better partner for Yveltal EX. From what I gather there are a lot of fighting decks (LandoBats becoming popular) and Steel decks (Bronzong PHF) in my area. I haven't tested too much YET but I'm planning to before regionals on Saturday! Any constructive advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Pokemon: 13

• 3 Yveltal EX
    2 Yveltal XY
    1 Mewtwo EX
    2 Garbodor (DRX)
    2 Trubbish (PLS)
    1 Jirachi EX
    1 Seismitoad EX
    1 Darkrai EX

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:

• 4 Professor Sycamore
    3 N
    3 Colress
    2 Lysandre

3 Shadow Circle

2 Head Ringer
    2 Enhanced Hammer
    2 Hard Charm
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Float Stone
    1 Scramble Switch
    2 VS Seeker
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Startling Megaphone
    2 Switch

Energy:

• 8 Darkness Energy
    4 Double Colorless Energy

Strategy:
The strategy is charge up Yveltal EX or Mewtwo EX (which makes a decent starter since it can attack off a DCE) while using Garbodor to shutdown abilities like Sagefuard, Aromatisse's Fairy Transfer, Bronzong's Metal Links and Genesect's Red Signal. I really like Jirachi EX since it helps immensely with bad starts.

I switch between Muscle Band and Hard Charm to fit the situation. Hard Charm is usually for fighting decks and Muscle Band when I'm going for the math. I'm playing Scramble Switch because I don't have Computer Search. It's worked for me quite well in the past and it's a lot of fun (though I realize Comp Search is better).

How would you use Jirachi or Darkrai if Garbodor is up? Also I think ability blocking with Garbodor is a bit cheap and pointless, as it gives no thought to strategy what so ever. I would try and make a deck that relies on manipulating your cards right in order to win, or a deck with at least a little thought into it, like Wobbuffet/bats it can ability block your opponent while at the same time deal allot of damage for a single energy, I think it's a much more effective way to ability block than what your trying to do. Also if they startling megaphone your Garbodor then that's bye bye to your protection from actually strategy.

appleatingoat said:
Wobbuffet/bats it can ability block your opponent while at the same time deal allot of damage for a single energy
This is all he needed :)

I would drop a Max potion for a Darkrai EX, you will find that you dont need to use garbador every game so the free retreat is great and Darkrai EX also gives you another weakness to work with. Yveltal EX/ Garbador is a good deck and the ability locking is part of the strategy.

appleatingoat said:
How would you use Jirachi or Darkrai if Garbodor is up? Also I think ability blocking with Garbodor is a bit cheap and pointless, as it gives no thought to strategy what so ever. I would try and make a deck that relies on manipulating your cards right in order to win, or a deck with at least a little thought into it, like Wobbuffet/bats it can ability block your opponent while at the same time deal allot of damage for a single energy, I think it's a much more effective way to ability block than what your trying to do. Also if they startling megaphone your Garbodor then that's bye bye to your protection from actually strategy.

It's not helpful to tell someone to disregard this very successful deck because you personally don't like it. I think this deck can require some experience to play properly, since the strategy is not just attach to Yveltal and use Evil Ball.

SpeedyJ, I would definitely add a Darkrai EX, because against some matchups the free retreat is going to be more helpful than ability lock. I realize there may be some synergy between Max Potion and Scramble Switch, but I don't think you'll be able to pull of the combo often enough to warrant 2 Max Potion. I would cut one, maybe both. I am also fairly worried that you only have 9 draw supporters. I would probably cut a VS Seeker for a fourth N or a Professor Birch, and if you can find room in your deck list I'd add both. Personally, I would also cut Mewtwo EX or a Shadow Circle for a Seismitoad EX, if you have one. If you can get the Toad and Garbodor lock going (while powering up Yveltal on the bench) you can often win games just with that. (Sorry appleeatinggoat. I know you probably hate Toad Garbodor decks, but the combo works really well.)

I hope I was able to help a little bit. Congrats on your first post.
And SpeedyJ, good luck at any Regionals or State Championships you end up attending. :)

Thank you for the feedback. I've edited to description to reflect the version I'm currently playing.

Ironman131 said:
I would drop a Max potion for a Darkrai EX, you will find that you dont need to use garbador every game so the free retreat is great and Darkrai EX also gives you another weakness to work with. Yveltal EX/ Garbador is a good deck and the ability locking is part of the strategy.

I agree with this. Max Potion has tested poorly. I have a love/hate relationship with Darkrai but the option of having free retreat is too good to give up. Garbodor doesn't get set up instantly so I can still take advantage of Dark Cloak before it gets set up. The same is true for Jirachi. A supporter that's searchable with Ultra Ball made it so much more consistent!

NicoSpot said:
SpeedyJ, I would definitely add a Darkrai EX, because against some matchups the free retreat is going to be more helpful than ability lock. I realize there may be some synergy between Max Potion and Scramble Switch, but I don't think you'll be able to pull of the combo often enough to warrant 2 Max Potion. I would cut one, maybe both. I am also fairly worried that you only have 9 draw supporters. I would probably cut a VS Seeker for a fourth N or a Professor Birch, and if you can find room in your deck list I'd add both. Personally, I would also cut Mewtwo EX or a Shadow Circle for a Seismitoad EX, if you have one. If you can get the Toad and Garbodor lock going (while powering up Yveltal on the bench) you can often win games just with that. (Sorry appleeatinggoat. I know you probably hate Toad Garbodor decks, but the combo works really well.)

I hope I was able to help a little bit. Congrats on your first post.
And SpeedyJ, good luck at any Regionals or State Championships you end up attending. :)

I appreciate your encouragement and hospitality! :) Max Potions are gone and Darkrai is in. You're right about not having enough draw supporters so I actually added in a third Colress. It seems kinda unorthodox but it's tested really well. On average I've been drawing 8 cards, 5 at the very worst.

Toad/Garbodor is pretty gross yeah lol but it's strength makes it hard to ignore. Toad is testing well and I'm thinking of using 2 (probably if I can get in time) to increase the chances of starting with it.

ok ok I get that I'm a [...] when it comes to toad and Garbodor, and i'm sry about the hate (nothing personal), but I just can't help hating a deck type that shuts down most successful ideas that revolve around abilities or items.

Back