• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Yveltal EX / Gallade / Zoroark

MadVillan

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 16
  • 4 Yveltal
  • 3 Yveltal-EX
  • 2 Zorua (Moonless Madness)
  • 2 Zoroark (Stand In)
  • 2 Gallade (Premonition)
  • 3 Shaymin-EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 34
  • 2 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick
  • 2 Sycamore
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainer's Mail
  • 3 Acro Bike
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 2 Roller Skates
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Sky Field
Energy: 10
  • 6 Darkness Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Description:
This archetype has really good match-ups against things like Night March and Vespiquen by using the regular Yveltal, and can use Gallade to help against Manectric-EX decks. It is able to adapt to the opponents field, using the attackers that counter the best.
I am trying my hand at creating a list for this archetype, but feel mine is not up to par:
I think that Unown probably deserves space in the deck.
I am using Roller Skates just because I think it is one of the cards we have in Standard that can help Maxie and Archie decks. I otherwise never really play Roller Skates.

I appreciate suggestions on counts and cuts/adds to improve the success rate of getting Gallade out within the first two turns.
Thank you!

Are you adding in the Ralts and Kirila to go with the Gallade? That's a stage 2 Pokémon.

do not run roller skates it will almost always screw up a maxie switch it for reserve ticket
I originally was excited about Reserved Ticket, but it only puts the card you want on top of your deck. It is nice to get that one card you want to top deck next turn, but does not help Maxie decks too much.

I understand how you might not like reserve ticket that much, but the whole point of using a card like that is that you don't need conditions to play it. What I mean by that is that since you are playing a maxie (this also goes for archies), you want to play cards that, once their effect is done, leave you with a lower size hand. The biggest enemies of these kinds of decks are hands full of energy, or drawing into multiple supporters or vs seekers, or even ultra balls. Yes, ultra balls can leave you with a lower hand size, but usually you have to discard either valuable resources or stuff you want in the discard (like supporters, gallades, and for this deck, energy). Often, you are able to get one or even two of these in the discard, but after that you have to start discarding more and more valuable cards. Reserved ticket, even though it might not be the best card, will still lower your hand size while giving you a chance to grab what you need once you maxie. Even better, if you don't want it, you can still ultra ball or battle compressor it away.

IMO, using cards like Roller Skates are not useful in certain situations when you do not have a "solid," primary card-draw engine as backup. Secondly, RSs become "dead" cards if you are ever Item-locked; and lastly, there is a 50% it will fail.

What about a 1-1 (or even better 2-2) Octillery line instead? I'd suggest considering:

-1 Trainer's Mail
-1 Acro Bike
-2 Roller Skates

+2 Remoaid
+2 Octillery

As an alternative, you could consider just replacing the "iffy, hope I can roll/flip a heads" Roller Skates with Tierno (works well for me after Premonition).

I run this deck myself. I would suggest cutting the Roller Skates as others said, but I would add in a fourth Acro Bike and a third Battle Compressor. You want the deck to be able to use Maxie when you need it, so things that discard are useful. Both Acro Bike and Battle Compressor can thin out your deck, getting rid of Gallade or a Maxie, or maybe some Darkness Energy. I like to target my two Gallade and a Maxie on my first Battle Compressor. If you get rid of a Maxie, that lets you use VS Seeker down to your last card and make it more likely to play. As for the stadium, Sky Field doesn't do anything for you. Also, having two copies of a stadium makes you more likely to get stuck with a card you can't get rid of so you won't be able to play Maxie. I personally ran a single Shadow Circle because of how popular electric is, but someone I played suggested Parallel City (again, one copy). I know that sounds counter intuitive against your Zoroark strategy, but it can really hinder your opponent. I played this as a mirror match and honestly, it was really hard to deal with and I lost in a pretty close game.

Back