Ruling You may...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCrazy

Questing for a steel deck
Whenever a pokepower or attack starts with the phrase you may, (Such as "you may return pokemon and all cards attached to it to your hand.") it's my understanding that you don't have to do it if you don't want to. But I just wanted to clairify, should I be reading that as something I would be forced to do?

No. "You may" means that you may. If it says that, it's optional.

Just to clarify, since you didn't mention which card you were referring to...

Claydol requires you to put at least one card at the bottom of your deck.

ApachePrime said:
Just to clarify, since you didn't mention which card you were referring to...

Claydol requires you to put at least one card at the bottom of your deck.

Well you do not have to, but Claydol later says " If you do, draw ..." so you do not have to put any cards back, but if you want to use the power you have to.

I'll help with this topic! Steelcrazy and i play all the time and we've asked this before. For instance,
Ledyba does any attack called baton pass. Its 50 damage and says :"you may switch ledyba with another pokemon and move all grass energy to the new active". Does this mean in order to do baton pass he is required to switch ledyba and move grass energy? In pokemon the video game it is a must. No choice at all. But when a card says "up to.." that means something has to be done right? i know this has been errata'd before on certain cards in specific this thread right here:
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=47628

^Um, how are you helping the thread? You seem to be asking more questions than helping answer the question.

Well anyway, you do not have to switch Ledyba when you use the attack. Whenever it says "you may" you are not required to do that action. The video games have no influence on the TCG whatsoever, so that really isn't relevant. Whenever something says "up to X Pokemon/Energy/whatever" you must do/get at least one, but you can do/get as many as whatever X is. And like stated in that thread you linked to, Claydol never recieved an errata, only a ruling stating that if you put no cards under your deck you cannot draw any cards.

This thread seems to have been taken care of as well, locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back