Ruling You can't win

Rummage

This past day something odd happenened to me at league. Both me and my opponent were locked into a position where no one could take a prize. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but with Uxie LA in our deck how would we deck ourselfs?

The game started normally and I got ahead a few prizes until my opponent I played down his Mewtwo X. I of course had no counters and he no longer had any pokemon on the board for me to KO. Before he can attack with Mewtwo X I get my Mewtwo X active and right away ask him if he plays warps. He says he does play 2 but if one of them are prized he can't keep up and I would win on time so on his next turn he playes bebes search to see that both are in his deck. They are. So knowing no one can take a prize we draw pass until he gets his warps and he gets them before decking obviously.... to tie the game.

Normally we would of played till someone decked out but we knew no one ever would due to uxie going to the bottom of the deck and moonlight stadium being in play.

In tournament rules if time is called next prize wins. But what if no one can take a prize or deck?

A similar event happened recently at a Battle Roads near me. Technically, you can continue the game indefinitely. It's up to the players I guess, which is how it was explained to me at least.

Although, I was also told that whoever took the last prize could be declared the winner in an extreme case such as that.

chanman45 said:
It could be a Double Game Loss.

Actually in tournament play, that would not be possible. Each match must have exactly one winner and one loser. No other outcome is possible.

This question has been asked and answer previously on Ask the Masters. In a tournament situation, after time is called and the judge determines that the game is in a permanent stalemate. Then the game proceeds to a Sudden Death tiebreaker.

Master Tangrowth said:
Actually in tournament play, that would not be possible. Each match must have exactly one winner and one loser. No other outcome is possible.

This question has been asked and answer previously on Ask the Masters. In a tournament situation, after time is called and the judge determines that the game is in a permanent stalemate. Then the game proceeds to a Sudden Death tiebreaker.

This answer is correct.
Although a lot of its up to the head judge, of which they should do this.

^No. You don't get the situation. With Uxie, both players can "replenish" their deck with it's attack. Please do not answer questions if you do not understnad the curcumstances.

I've seen this exact question with the exact words being asked somewhere,let me search PB and the gym.
I'm pretty sure that you could still deckout your opponent by playing down a secondary stadium or something.
EDIT:
Searching.....
Yup got the link.....Rummage you sure this is your unique question or is it just to increase *coughpostscough*???Coz it has the exact same words.....
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1516631

You cannot play down another stadium of the same name as the one in play.

It wouldn't matter anyways if there are at least two energy in the discard pile (which I would assume there would be upon the use of Mewtwo Lv.X). All the players would have to do is Energy Absorbtion (assuming that they're playing with the one from MD) back two energy, next turn lay down Uxie, attach to it, retreat, and tuck it under. And don't say that you'd deckout before then because it would look something like this (after the first Uxie tuck):
1) Draw (one card left)
2) Energy Absorbtion
3) Opponent's turn
4) Draw final card
5) Lay down Uxie and attach to Uxie
6) Retreat Mewtwo and return Uxie to the bottom
7) Repeat

Only under some twisted circumstances would this be able to not end in a full stalemate.

Master Tangrowth said:

InfinityFangX said:
This answer is correct.
Yes, you can do sudden death or a DGL. And yes there is such thing as a DGL
The Rules said:
6.5. Game Loss
The Game Loss penalty is generally used when a mistake has been made that has a severe impact on the game state, to the point where the game is irreparably broken and unable to continue. This penalty is also used for other major procedural errors or problems.
When issuing a Game Loss penalty during an active game, the game is recorded as a loss for the player receiving the penalty. In extreme cases where significant errors have been made by both players in a game, a Game Loss penalty may be issued to both players simultaneously. A game terminated in this manner is recorded as having no winner.

Chairman Kaga said:
If I encountered a stalemate situation such as this as head judge in a tournament, I would forcibly terminate the game in progress and have both players reset for a single-prize sudden-death game.

In the event of continued stalemate after repeated attempts to resolve via sudden death, recording a double game loss is available as an option of last resort -- highly appropriate since there was no game winner.

This is only my method; other judges may have more creative solutions.

The main thing to keep in mind is that tournaments are on a time schedule -- this is why round time limits exist in the first place, along with the various sudden death rules. Holding up a tournament in this fashion is a strain on the staff (who may be dealing with a tournament venue that is only available for a limited time), and is unfair to the other players (who must now sit and wait on one game to finish). Hence the need to enforce time limits and such. But there is a difference between a game that is simply intense and taking some time to finish, and a situation where both players have locked the game into a permanent game state loop. The former should be allowed to finish (under close supervision to avoid slow play and continued delay of the event); the latter requires staff intervention.

chanman45 said:
InfinityFangX said:
This answer is correct.
The Rules said:
6.5. Game Loss
The Game Loss penalty is generally used when a mistake has been made that has a severe impact on the game state, to the point where the game is irreparably broken and unable to continue. This penalty is also used for other major procedural errors or problems.
When issuing a Game Loss penalty during an active game, the game is recorded as a loss for the player receiving the penalty. In extreme cases where significant errors have been made by both players in a game, a Game Loss penalty may be issued to both players simultaneously. A game terminated in this manner is recorded as having no winner.
^ Very interesting, anyone have any idea how to enter a double game loss into TOM...

Must admit I tried it tonight and couldn't find such an option. I had read the 6.5 section previously and wondered what I would do if that situation reared its Ugly head, but never have had it happen fortunately -- I do think however Double Game Loss seems an inappropriate penalty for a locked game (unless the deck was purposely designed for such a lock and hence the stalemate occurs on repeated sudden death attempts and is completely disrupting the tournamet) -- in my 4 years of playing I have had one of these occur.

Good job on calling me Winston!

Master Tangrowth said:
The Rules said:
6.5. Game Loss
^ Very interesting, anyone have any idea how to enter a double game loss into TOM...

Must admit I tried it tonight and couldn't find such an option. I had read the 6.5 section previously and wondered what I would do if that situation reared its Ugly head, but never have had it happen fortunately -- I do think however Double Game Loss seems an inappropriate penalty for a locked game (unless the deck was purposely designed for such a lock and hence the stalemate occurs on repeated sudden death attempts and is completely disrupting the tournamet) -- in my 4 years of playing I have had one of these occur.

Good job on calling me Winston!
[/quote]

thats what I was thinking, Ive never seen it give me the option in TOM.
Once you click the person who won the match,
the computer gives that persons opponent a loss.
so I do not think double game loss is possible

In a situation like this, a stalemate is called, and a sudden death match happens to determine the winner. I had this happen at a battle road that I was judging. There was literally no way for either player to do anything to win the game. no one had a bench, other than Mewtwo Lv. X. It was kind of interesting.

Back