koga.jpg

KogaSprite.png

Spr_4p_407_f.png
sprite.php
Spr_4d_073.png
sprite.php
gengar.png
545.png

Yes, that's right. A Poison-only team. Since Gen 1, there has been no Gym leader who has come near the status of a Gym Leader as much as Koga has. He's also the only Gym Leader (Besides Wallace) to get into the Elite 4! So for the monthly RMT, I decided to do a special Koga-inspired team, using only Poison types. Now I know, this team couldn't win any tournaments (for the most part), and is in no way a great team. But it's just a great experience to create a homage to one of Pokemon's greatest characters, as well as a competitive team for him.

At a glance, the team looks solid, and is using the best poison types in the game (debatable). However, this isn't saying much. Poison has a few key weaknesses, such as Earthquake and Steel-types. Some Poison-types remedy this, but with generally pathetic HP, it wouldn't matter for very long. They are also completely wrecked by sandstorm. But, Poison-types do have their advantages. Toxic had been a easy-to-use and a sheer force of nature to deal with since Gen. 1. Poison types also do very well against stall teams, as their balance of offensive and defensive power defines them as the definition of a slow and painful death. It's really a mixed bag, and you never really know what to expect during a match.

But enough about slowly dying from toxic substances, let's get at the team!

roserade.png

Roserade@Focus Sash
Timid Nature
EV's: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Natural Cure Ability
Moves:
-Toxic Spikes
-Leaf Storm
-Sleep Powder
-Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Ice

The entry hazard of the team. Roserade is great at what it does, and that's why it landed the spot of the Lead on the team. For a lead, Roserade actually carries a lot of offensive power. He can beat down Sandstorm leads with some ease, but this doesn't reverse the fact that Sandstorm still kills off a lot of my team.

Using Sleep powder and Toxic Spikes in succession is a deadly combination, and rightfully so. With a decent speed, Roserade can poison or put to sleep a good portion of the opponent's team, if not for it's frailness. This usually doesn't stop it from giving out quite a bit of destruction, as the opponent is poisoned before it can even defend itself.

I changed Energy Ball to Leaf Storm, mainly because of it's speed and fragility determining how long it will stay on the field. Hidden power fire is used for those pesky Skarmory and Bronzong leads, while Hidden power Ice is used for Dragons hoping to set up Dragon Dance. Roserade makes for a perfect lead, and I plan to use it it many more teams in the future.

crobat.png

Crobat@Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
EV's: 104 HP/152 Atk/252 Spe
Inner Focus Ability
Moves:
-Air slash
-Taunt
-Roost
-U-Turn

Crobat, or what I would like to call, the Air support. Crobat comfortably finds its way onto the team, utilizing it's "Standard Bat" move set to really give my team an edge against walls. Yet again, however, Crobat is somewhat frail. A Special sweeper can take him down with a hit or two. Roost takes care of that in most situations, and helps add to the poison the opponent is already suffering from. Good thing there's no such thing as a poison clause...

Air slash is fun because of the flinching. It's always a great experience to watch two flinches in a row, which happens more often that you think. This also is good to use against walls Crobat has an offensive advantage over.
Roost and u-turn is also irritating to the opponent, as healing yourself and getting a free switch in while the opposing Pokemon is diagnosed with Cancer from poison can get on the opponent's nerves.

Once you look at it from a competitive standpoint, Crobat can add a lot of psychological pressure to the opponent, which is one of they key goals in a Poison-type team. The EV's and Ability are to be expected, as well as his Jolly nature. Another beast of a Toxic Pokemon to add to the roster.

073_tentacruel_1_m.png

Tentacruel@Black Sludge
Timid Nature
EV's: 252 HP/136 SpA/120 SpD
Liquid Ooze Ability
Moves:
-Rapid Spin
-Hydro Pump
-Sludge Bomb
-Ice Beam

Ah, the ever-present Tentacruel. It always manages to find it's way into my teams. It's the resident Spinner of OU, and it fits perfectly into this team. Since I've got Toxic Spikes onto the field, Tenty here takes a little bit more of an offensive role, using good ol' Ice Beam in place of his usual Toxic Spikes. It isn't groundbreaking, but it is effective against, *shutter*, ground types. Type coverage and basic Sandstorm resistance overall is why Tentacruel makes such a great addition.

Rapid Spinning is a must for the team, as with already low HP, many Pokemon can't take extra damage before they even set up. Tentacruel didn't get many new toys in the new generation, but that still doesn't stop him from being the defensive gargantuan that he was meant to be. You really couldn't ask for more specialty!

The reason why Tentacruel fits in so many of my teams is that it's so adaptive. You can throw it in almost any situation, and it has the tools to handle the job. The same goes for here, the Team needed a Rapid spinner and some special offense, and Tentacruel fit the bill perfectly. Cheers to another successful year in OU for my pal, Tentacruel!

weezing.png

Weezing@Black Sludge
Calm Nature
EV's: 252 HP/200 Def/52 SpD/6 SpA
LEVITATE Ability
Moves:
-Stockpile
-Flamethrower/Venom shock/Clear smog
-Will-o'-wisp/Toxic
-Pain split/Swallow

I'm giggling with joy. Know why? Cause mah boi Weezing got some stellar new toys in the 5th gen! As if levitate didn't make him great enough. Weezing plays its part on this team by acting as it's main wall, and by using it's developed stats and wall-like abilities, Weezing definitely will be kicking some hind corners this year.

One of the best additions to Weezing's repertoire is the stockpile trio. This FINALLY allows Weezing to brush up his terrible Special Defense, making him that much more of a threat. Pain split is always useful for walls/tanks, so it was natural to add it on. Weezing can either further the Poison Cause with Toxic, or mix it up a little with Will-o'-Wisp. I'm having a hard time deciding between Flamethrower and Clear Smog. Flamethrower can give those disgusting Steel-types what they finally deserve, or he can Haze away all stat changes (including his own, unfortunately) with Clear smog.

Whatever move is chosen, Weezing is one the best members on the team, and I hope to see him in further Competitive play this year. With all these great additions and wonderful new opportunities, it can be enough to make a guy cry...

EP282_Weezing_de_James.png

gengar.png

Gengar@Leftovers
Timid Nature
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Levitate Ability
Moves:
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

You didn't think I wouldn't put the best Poison-type in the game on my team, did you? Gengar has been with the top dogs since Red and Blue, and he'll always continue to be the best of the best. With a random Poison attribute given to him, I can legally place one of the best SubSweepers in the metagame onto my team.

The set you see here is very common among Gengars, and has a huge sweeping capability. Thunderbolt is great just for basic coverage, just like Focus blast for those pesky Steel and Dark types. Shadow Ball is crazy powerful on him, as giving STAB to a 90 base damage attack can be very useful. Subgar has always been a prominent set, and can even take down (with patience) the bane of special sweepers, Blissey.

Gengar fits in well with the team because it doesn't fit with the rest of the team's strategy. This is used to throw the opponent off balance with a surprise offensive balance. To be honest, there really aren't any signs of ToxicStall here at all, so Gengar stands proud and alone on my team as it's main Offensive Team slot. But I may have spoke too soon...

Pendoraa_espalda_G5.png

Pendoraa@Life Orb
Jolly Nature
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Swarm Ability
Moves:
-Swords Dance
-X-Scissor
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

What do we have here? A physical sweeper? Well, well, well! Pendoraa is a new Generation 5 Pokemon, complete with it's own evolutionary line. It looks kinda like a weevil of some sort, and with good reason. This Pokemon is easily set up for using the Spikes thrown out earlier, and can begin it's Swords Dance rampage. A great addition to Team Poison!

I love this guy's movepool. No other Poison type had the Physical strength to pull off Swords dance, but with Pendoraa, my team has a fighting chance. Although he has many common weaknesses, the little Weevil can be in battle one moment and out the next. With a little predictability, Pendoraa can decimate an opponent's team. He's the only one on my team that can use the Earth/Rock moves everyone so desperately craves.

Even with his downsides, Pendoraa was an obvious choice for the team. He held in his hands something no other Poison type has: Sheer Power. After the team has set up, I can always rely on this guy to finish the job. And who said Nintendo didn't have any ideas left for Gen 5?

----

That's the team, in an essence. I know it has a lot of problems, but you're bound to have a lot of threats to the team when it's mono-type.

Well, I hope you enjoyed the team. I always have fun when I use it on Pokemon online, and I hope you can utilize the Gym Leader in you to create a team similar to this one. I always enjoy creating teams too, and I hope you've walked away today with the notion that Pokemon isn't about winning, having a good record, or even the Game franchise itself. It's about having fun, and doing what you love for as long as you love it.

With the Mushy stuff aside, I WELCOME all comments and critiques on the team, as this is hopefully in the running for the RMT of the month. So come on, Pokebeach! Tell me what you think. And as always, remind yourself every day about the sheer Power of Poison!

Pokemon%20Ash%20Gray%20beta%2025z_Sep27%2018_19_24.png

Happy Holidays, Everyone!
~ShadowLugia~

RE: You are Challenged by Leader Koga!

What, no reviews? Come on people, this is the RMT of the month we're talking about here!

Looks like a fairly nice team. As you stated it most likley wouldn't do that well in Competitive pay, but could hold its own very well to someone who is testing out a team also. I'd rate it 8/10 for effort. You've done your homework and finally someone else who realises the great power of our Weezing.

Going to do some looking around on the Serebii-dex because I think Toxicroak could be used well in here.

James

Well thank you.
I was this close to putting in Toxicroak, because it's one of the only T-tar counters I've got.
I might use him in place of Crobat or Gengar, or maybe even Nidoking can fit into the mix.
Thanks again for a critique. All hail Weezing!

RE: You are Challenged by Leader Koga! - Give it a Rate!

Lots of diversity...really surprised that Drapion isnt there cos Drapion has cool egg moves that would catch people off guard too =)
my poison team would probably be - Drapion/Toxicroak/Gengar/Weezing/Tentacruel/Roserade

but then again its your preference and still quite a standard poison team/ Great team!

my rating 95%

and i am so annoyed with Skuntanks

Pendoraa's basically a better version of Drapion. Better Swords dance options.
Apparently, Drapion and Toxicroak will be very popular subsitutes, so I'd like to know why I'd use those guys in place of one of my team members. Thanks everyone.

I suppose Drapion gives you a Psychic immunity, but that hardly matters because psychic moves are practically inexistent in the competitive metagame, 5th gen or otherwise.

Anyway, just a nitpick here:

Type coverage and basic Sandstorm resistance overall is why Tentacruel makes such a great addition.

Tentacruel doesn't resist Sandstorm, lol.

Anyway, on the subject of Tentacruel, since you're not running a support set, it might be better to run the offensive rapid spin set instead:

Tentacruel @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Moveset:
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam

Liquid Ooze > Clear Body because:

Smogon said:
Liquid Ooze is the preferred ability as it hurts opposing Leech Seed users. Clear Body doesn't help Tentacruel much because Attack drops from Intimidate—the only common method of stat reduction—don't matter to this specially offensive Tentacruel.

This isn't really a much needed change or anything, if you test it and it doesn't work well for you then don't use it. :p

Tentacruel does well in sandstorm teams, however, due to his high HP and type coverage.
I guess an EV switch would do him good, and clear body just seemed like a good ability for general battles. I choose Surf over Hydro Pump because of PP and accuracy. A nature switch seems in good order, though.
Thanks for the rate!

Sludge Bomb is up there with Steel as a pathetic offensive type, even with Stab. Ice Beam would be a much better choice.

You went on a Team-Rating Spree, didn't you? You posted in like Seven teams.
Anyway, the only Pokemon "up there" with Sludge Bomb is Tentacruel, and it already has Ice beam. As I mentioned before, this Team isn't exactly a Steel-Type's worst nightmare, so thinking of a steel-type counter when considering every team member's moveset is pointless.

I come in, rate, then don't get on for a while :3 Burst rate FTW

Anyway, since Tentacruel is the only one with Sludge Bomb, can't we assume I'm talking about Tentacruel? :3

On a serious note, I like this team! :D Time to give Koga a run for his money eh? This team is well rounded, cover each others weaknesses, support, sweepers, everything! Grade A for sure.

Yes, burst rates FTW. I agree.
But I do thank you for the comment, you can never get enough of those.
I've tried the Team out on Pokemon online, and so far it's 5-4. Not bad for a mono-type team.

Hey Shadow, nice team. I love mono-teams, despite never making one. And mono-poison?! Beast man, beast. There really isn't anything extremely outlying, except a major weakness to psychic types (thats what you get for mono-poison :S). And as far as I've seen on PO, 1 out of 3 teams carry a Rankurusu or an Espeon. What you can do to fix this (possibly, just an idea) is using a Scarf Nidoking. Mixed King provides exceptional coverage, and makes up for your bulging psychic weakness with Megahorn. Also, Drapion provides Psychic immunity and a good coverag in X-Scissor and Crunch. Also, just a little fun thing that may just work, but maybe try using an EvoStone Koffing instead of Weezing. Sure you don't get the Black Sludge, but Pain Split/Swallow should do a decent job anyways. Theres my rate :D Hope it helped

Thanks for the comments, dude, I really appreciate them. So, I guess I could try Drapion out; he would be a great help with defeating frail Choice-set Jirachi. I'll let the fans decide who they'd like to see Drapion switch for. Heck, I could even substitute in Toxicroak, if I played him correctly. Tell me what you think.

Toxicroak can solve your problem of psychics with Sucker Punch or Crunch, and he provides coverage on Ttar. Either one would fair nicely I think. But who to replace? I would be inclined to say Crobat, but everyone on your team plays a valuable roll. I say Crobat because on your team is main use is U-turn. Your not going to be doing much damage with Air Slash or U-turn. I see where your coming from with the Air Slash flinch rate, though.

I see. However, this is still the problem: Jirachi>Toxicroak.
I need to get a little more feedback before I can make a substitution, though. Thanks again for the comments.

Your extremly weak to anything psychic. If you want the team to do better I suggest you do this change.

Using Swords Dance Zoroark over Pendorra. It at least gives you a little better resist and answer to that Rankarusu thing and other psychic types. If you want to keep it like this I suggest using Roserade as a secondary member and Crobat as the lead. CBBat can take out alot of stuff with it's powerful Brave Bird. Scouting will also be a bit better if you change to Zoroark especially. You need that extra bulk on Rose to abosorb those bulky waters.

Is Zoroark a poison-type? I thought not. Putting a Dark-type on the team is just not an option; this is a mono-poison team. The reason I made it is that I could have fun with a team that is only one type, not win the Pokebeach Master Cup.
I'll switch Crobat for Roserade, and make the necessary stat changes, however. She's better at offense anyways. Thanks for the comments.

Mono-Poison? o_O Deadly ...

Well here's what I see.

Yes, at the glance the team looks very solid. Especially for mono-poison.
I tested this team in the Monotype tier in PO server. It managed wonderfully.

Lets start :-

The lead,
Hmm looks nice. Massive Sp.Atk stat coupled with Sash and Sleep Powder. Not to mention T Spikes. HP is a obvious choice for that plant :p, I'm not going to talk about it much. The only thing I'm against to there is Energy Ball. Frankly Roserade lacks the bulk to stay in the field for long. Normally after placing the TSpikes successfully it is going to play hit and run if it's alive right. So, you might want to switch Energy Ball over Leaf Storm. Yes, the accuracy is a problem but 10 accuracy lost is made up by the 60 base power difference is it not? I first used Energy Ball and seeing it can't OHKO some crucial Pokemon such as Tyranitar I switched to Leaf Storm which worked miracles up to an extent making Roserade a very diabolical force to reckoned with. (Even when it's supposed to be a somewhat frail lead)

I have nothing much to say about Crobat. It's standard and also good (Which is somewhat rare)

Yet again I find that you have a problem with believing in accuracy more than power, which is good in some situations but not really in the mono-type situation. Obviously you should be looking to blast through the enemy lines with Tentacruel. It is not a Tspiker. Just a Rapid Spinner with immense SpD. With your ev spread it reaches a respectable 306 SpD right? I suggest Hydro Pump over Surf. True .. less accuracy, but more critical KOs. Like Void has said. I tested with the offensive set but not much progress as the your one. Still his advice for Liquid Ooze is good. I personally tried Rain Dish to cut off the weather users, still Clear Body doesn't do much for Tentacruel, since it doesn't rely on it's Atk stat it can be intimidated also other Pokemon won't normally be looking to lower it's stats. Most of the game is centralized on your own stats not decreasing the opponent's stats.

I'm not going to say anything to Weezing. That bulk of gas is fearsome as it is. I'm not going to make it more fearsome. Safe to say that's the core of your team.

Very nice Gengar. Personally my favorite in your team. Good versatility along with good movepool and speed. Obviously no surprise you added it. What other Special Sweeper is more better for a mono-poison team ;).

Finally we have Pendorra,
I have to tell the truth, this is the first time I saw this set on that bug. Sword Dance + X-Scissor worked miracles. Also, the Earthquake and Rock Slide from a Poison Pokemon is pure WIN. I tried it with Pursuit over Rock Slide but didn't work as good as Rock Slide. However was good for Psychics who were switching out after seeing him Sword Dance. I don't have any suggestions for this one here. Good work.

Side note :- Obviously, Psychic is your mortal enemy. Possible change is Drapion. While sporting decent DEF it is immune to Psychic. It can do your Pendorra's job completely while utilizing the same moveset but with :-
Better Base HP
Better Base ATK
Better Base DEF
Better Base SpD

Lower Speed however.

That does it.
Hope you found it even a bit helpful or at least encouraging :p.

Good rate, my friend. Here are my responses:

Roserade: I've gotten suggestions to make Roserade more bulky, but with it's fragility and speed, Leaf Storm sounds like a good idea. A small but effective change made.

Crobat: Still on the edge about switching it out for something more offensively inclined, but it's spot on the team is safe for now.

Tentacruel: Forgot to get rid of Clear Body. Hydro Pump is an obvious change, I'll get it right away.

Weezing: Thanks for the compliment! Weezing's bulk is unheard of in Gen 5.

Gengar: Same as Weezing, SubGar was just too good to pass up. :)

Drapion: I still need suggestions as to what to switch out for him. Maybe Pendorra, but that Swords dance set has much more coverage. Bug typing is appreciated also. I'm leaning towards Crobat and Pendorra.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm glad this team is so popular. Your continued testing and rates are very appreciated!

~Shadowlugia

Back