Discussion Yanmega XY11 - Viability and partners.

Serpens

Aspiring Trainer
Ever since we got the scans for XY11 Yanmega and it's BREAK, I've been wondering: Just how viable actually is this card? I know Yanmega Prime was quite a popular card back in the day, so this one in the very least shouldn't be very bad. It is 120 for 0 energy, but how well will it fit in the meta?
And when we come to building a Yanmega deck, obviously you can't just rely on the dragonflys. You need something else to add to that. Old Yanmega was I think paired with fighting types, wasn't it? How good can this combo be? Or do you think other cards will help it more? Vespiquen? Vileplume? I've heard suggestions of Zebstrika BPT?

Yanmega – Grass – HP110
Stage 1 – Evolves from Yanma

Ability: Sonic Vision
If your hand has 4 cards in it, this Pokemon’s attacks cost no Energy to use.

[C][C][C] Assault Boom: 50+ damage. If your opponent’s Active Pokemon has any Pokemon Tools on it, this attack does 70 more damage.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 0

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I think Yanmega is a very viable card in today's format. Any form of energy costless card is extremely powerful, as it can stream far easier and can't be taken down by Team Flare Grunts and Hammers.

For consistency, I think running a 2-2 of Octillery is a must. Allowing you to refresh your hand one card above the magical number is great, and if you can't drop your hand by a single card in this format, I think there might be a problem. :p

Forest of Giant Plants also looks like a great option. It allows for great streaming potential and even hitting on your first turn, if you go second, which is a great opportunity to get ahead in the prize wars.

I did notice that Yanmega can dish out the magical number of 170 on an EX using a Muscle Band + Giovanni + Ariados. Although this feels like a lot of work and thus isn't a good option, it could be worthwhile to look into. If you go by this route, running Sceptile-EX may also be good. Otherwise, Yanmega can 1-hit KO a Head Ringer'd Shaymin-EX (or if in BREAK form, using a Muscle Band), which would be a viable strategy of this deck. Target Whistles could be used to enhance it.

As for partners, I don't think that Vileplume would be a good option. While an appealing option, it makes you more reliant on using Judge to attack for free, which also ends up refreshing your opponent's hand, which is not always good. I can't see Vespiquen working well either, as for Vespiquen to work effectively, you generally need to rid your entire hand, which is sorta against the Yanmega strategy. It also feels a bit clunky.

A brainwave here, but I think running Bats would be great, if there is space. Bats give Yanmega the ability to make 1-hit KOs without using a single Energy. Otherwise, perhaps Servine FCL could be used to attempt to get a Paralysis flip so you can 2-hit KO without getting KO'd first. Ludicolo PRC also looks like a fun option, especially with Target Whistle, to bring up Shaymins and other easier prizes.

Draaka

Aspiring Trainer
I think it has the potential, I wasn't playing back when Yanmega prime was around but I do understand how powerful this could be, with FGP this deck has the speed and power it needs. I think Octillery is the correct call for draw support. 4x Judge obviously, probably run battle compressors as they are free burnable cards. Level balls too, great for getting stuff set up and completely burnable.

MechanicalMarine

Princess Peach
I do believe that Yanmega/Yanmega BREAK is a viable option. I would say all the reasons why, but they have all been said already. lol
The only thing that we need to look out for is partners, because I don't think Yanmega can do it all by himself, although Vileplume does seem like a good option.
I'm just happy one of my favorite Pokémon has a viable card again. :) (Potentially)

Gunther Spindler

Aspiring Trainer
I believe that Yanmega has more potential for Expanded, as Toad, Blastoise/Keldeo, Mew-Ex are very popular and you could easily 1HKO them with a Muscle Band/Team Flare Head Ringer attached to them. Also, with Virbank City Gym and Silver Bangle, it can reach the magic 180 damage against other EX !
I made a list to show what I was thinking.
4 Yamaha
4 Yanmega
2 Yanmega BREAK
2 Remoraid
2 Octtilery
2 Spinarak
2 Ariados
4 Level Ball
4 Ultra Ball
2 Sacred Ash
4 Professor Sycamore
2 N
2 Lysandre
1 Judge
1 Teammates
3 VS Seeker
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
4 Virbank City Gym
4 Silver Bangle
4 Team Flare Head Ringer
3 Float Stone

garchompcrescent

Part-Time Misplayer
I'm thinking of playing Yanmega BREAK after the rotation, as it's most likely that FFI and PHF, which my current deck uses lots of cards from, will be rotated. I would probably pair it with Gallade BKT, or possibly (and this would be a little clunky) M-Alakazam EX. I'm just happy that there's another good BREAK coming :):):)

asdjklghty

-------------
I don't think Item lock is viable for our beloved dragon fly. I'n thinking of a skeleton list:

4-4-3 Yanmega Prime line

2-2 Octillery Line

1-1 Ariados

4 Judge

I think Yanmega should be played aggressively, like back in the good-ol HGSS days. Maybe 3-4 Target Whistles to grab cheap prizes off Shaymin or even other discarded Basics.

Maybe if you want, find a fighting Pokemon that has as much colorless attack cost as possible to deal with Lightning and give a different type.

There were different builds of Yanmega Prime. I personally liked the simple and straight forward Magnezone Prime and later, Kingdra Prime/Jirachi. I don't know what can replace Magnezone Prime.

MechanicalMarine

Princess Peach
Yanmega BREAK Skeleton

Pokémon - 15
3x Yanma
3x Yanmega
2x Yanmega BREAK
2x Remoraid
2x Octillery
1x Spinarak
1x Ariados
1x Jirachi EX

Trainer - 31
Item:
4x Ultra Ball
3x Level Ball
3x Trainers’ Mail
4x VS Seeker
2x Head Ringer Team Flare Hyper Gear
2x Float Stone
1x Revitalizer

Supporter:
4x Judge
2x N
2x Professor Juniper
1x Lysandre
1x AZ
1x Hugh
1x Battle Reporter

Stadium:
2x Silent Lab

Energy - 5
3x Grass Energy
2x DCE

Open Spaces: 9

This is what I have come up with. As you may have noticed there are some cards that see almost no play in this day and age, or have never seen play at a high level, such as Hugh and Battle Reporter. Yes I know, they aren't the greatest of cards, but they work with Yanmega. If you need to know what they do, Hugh makes each player draw or discard until they have 5 cards in his or her hands, and Battle Reporter makes so you draw cards until you have the same number of cards in your hand as your opponent.
It may not be optimal, but there are 9 open spaces, so you can fit a fair deal of other cards in.

Edit: I meant to add this. I put energy in there as well, because in any given situation you may be stuck not being able to attack because you and your opponent have unequal hand sizes.

Spectre_Makoto

Elon Musk is Steve Jobs' Nobody!
Basically the deck would be Yanmega/Octillery hands down. Judge is nice, but it's iffy. Retreat is a non-issue for Yanmega, though Octillery constitutes a Switch or two. A good attacking partner for Yanmega would probably be an easy setup Water-type (not sure who) to cover weakness. I also think Bridget should definitely be used, so as to setup Yanma and Remoraids quickly.

Another note about Yanmega is that it can use the Revitalizer engine that Serperior and Vileplume use, along with Giant Plant Forest.

Chi-Town Master

Aspiring Trainer
I highly suggest max potions and even maybe a 2nd AZ, if they can't 1HKO you you can AZ and FoGP or max potion your energy less attackers

MechanicalMarine

Princess Peach
I highly suggest max potions and even maybe a 2nd AZ, if they can't 1HKO you you can AZ and FoGP or max potion your energy less attackers
Basically the deck would be Yanmega/Octillery hands down. Judge is nice, but it's iffy. Retreat is a non-issue for Yanmega, though Octillery constitutes a Switch or two. A good attacking partner for Yanmega would probably be an easy setup Water-type (not sure who) to cover weakness. I also think Bridget should definitely be used, so as to setup Yanma and Remoraids quickly.

Another note about Yanmega is that it can use the Revitalizer engine that Serperior and Vileplume use, along with Giant Plant Forest.
I forgot Forest of Giant Plants in my list.
LOL oops
But I do agree with what you two are suggesting, for the most part. I don't find Switch as effective as Float Stone though, so I might throw just one or two more of those in. Another AZ probably wouldn't hurt either. Possibly a Brigette would also be useful. I was thinking to replace the 3 Grass with 3 Water, and possibly putting in a Regice from AOR? Might be good to soften up an EX and stall a turn if Yanmega can't 1 shot it.

This is not is the Standard Format.
I know. :)
I prefer Expanded over Standard. More card options.
I also said Jirachi-EX, and that's Expanded as well.

Arizaiaz

Aspiring Trainer
Just wanted to throw this out there since I read one of the replies here mentioning that water types would be a good attacking partner for Yanmega Break. Our brave dragonfly may be a grass card but its weakness is actually to electric... so water types may be a poor choice.

However this does mean that pairing Yanmega Break with Sceptile EX or other grass types makes sense and doesn't compound a weakness to fire decks.

MechanicalMarine

Princess Peach
Just wanted to throw this out there since I read one of the replies here mentioning that water types would be a good attacking partner for Yanmega Break. Our brave dragonfly may be a grass card but its weakness is actually to electric... so water types may be a poor choice.

However this does mean that pairing Yanmega Break with Sceptile EX or other grass types makes sense and doesn't compound a weakness to fire decks.
I'm not extensively concerned about Fire decks, as they are not too common right now, and because of Water Box/Greninja BREAK around now, they'll probably be being played less, so Sceptile-EX doesn't seem like a bad option. Electric unfortunately is much more played than Fire, so I'm not sure about that.
There really isn't a whole lot that covers Electric. The only thing I can think of is Lucario-EX maybe.
I guess Sceptile does that with Ariados though, so I should probably think before I type stuff.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I think that weakness would barely matter at this point; Yanmega would get Knocked Out regardless.

MechanicalMarine

Princess Peach
I think that weakness would barely matter at this point; Yanmega would get Knocked Out regardless.
I suppose, with all the hard-hitting decks in the game right now that set up fast, and Night March/Raikou being seen more often than not.
What about throwing in an Aegislash-EX for that? I don't know. Sure it's not offensive at all, but if you don't want NM taking prizes every turn, then it could be decent.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Not entire sold on Yanmega and Yanmega Break. Do not see what the deck does that much better than the new Shiftry line. The latter can also hit ghost-types for weakness and can run a tech Shiftry XY02 to enable the deck to score some ohkos when there is a need to do so.

Serpens

Aspiring Trainer
Not entire sold on Yanmega and Yanmega Break. Do not see what the deck does that much better than the new Shiftry line. The latter can also hit ghost-types for weakness and can run a tech Shiftry XY02 to enable the deck to score some ohkos when there is a need to do so.
Yanmega can attack for zero, meaning it can't be targeted by energy disruption. It's a stage 1, which means it's much easier to get out, has free retreat, so you can switch it to a different attacker in no time without using up resources, does slightly more damage, can't be blocked...

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Yanmega can attack for zero, meaning it can't be targeted by energy disruption. It's a stage 1, which means it's much easier to get out, has free retreat, so you can switch it to a different attacker in no time without using up resources, does slightly more damage, can't be blocked...

On usual I assume that the deck will also run Yanmega Break since Yanmega has HP 110 which can be ohkoed much easier. The free retreat is nice but Shiftry also hits for 120 damage once hand sizes are matched. Look at the card itself. The number is 60 and not 40 as listed in the translation. Shiftry does not require a tool attached to the defender to hit 120 damage and is a dual type that can attack for one energy attachment. To me it seems to be much more versatile than Yanmega in the current meta-game.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
On usual I assume that the deck will also run Yanmega Break since Yanmega has HP 110 which can be ohkoed much easier. The free retreat is nice but Shiftry also hits for 120 damage once hand sizes are matched. Look at the card itself. The number is 60 and not 40 as listed in the translation. Shiftry does not require a tool attached to the defender to hit 120 damage and is a dual type that can attack for one energy attachment. To me it seems to be much more versatile than Yanmega in the current meta-game.
Shiftry requires a DCE and Judge to be streamed, and has to be Stage 2. Yanmega literally just requires the consistent Octillery, and does not need its BREAK form to function well. This means that Yanmega can be streamed far easier and far more consistently than Shiftry (and relying on DCE is seldom great). They both have the potential to deal the same amount of damage too (and both would require similar [or less in Yanmega's favour] resources to do so). HP difference of 30 also seems pretty minor, as most cards in format aim to 1-hit KO EXs fairly consistently, so I'd assume both Shiftry and Yanmega will generally get revenge KO-d. (Besides, you get to run Teammates, so you can get that Yanmega back immediately anyway!) Although the Darkness type on Shiftry is significant with lots of Trevenant BREAK, there are certainly other techs such as Marowak FCL, Bats, Burst Balloons and Bronzong FCL, and simply outstreaming and KOing before they BREAK evolve, and the like. I don't really think the Darkness typing is game-changing.