• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Yanmega / Vespiquen (2016-2017)

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon (25)

2 Shaymin EX ROS
4 Combee AOR
4 Vespiquen AOR
4 Yanma STS
4 Yanmega STS
3 Yanmega Break STS
4 Unown AOR

Trainers (31)

1 Eco-Arm
2 Level Ball
2 Revitalizer
1 Special Charge
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
1 Judge
1 Lysandre
2 N
1 Pokemon Ranger
4 Professor Sycamore
4 Forest of Giant Plants
4 Bursting Balloon

Energy (4)

4 Double Colorless Energy

Let me know what you think! Main strategy is to set up Yanmegas and then play into Vespiquen for the late game

I would try to fit 4 Acro bike in somewhere to get more pokemon into the discard

You could find room for a couple parallel city. It's a great tech against a lot of decks, and it can help you throw Shaymin or a couple evolution lines in the discard.

I would also suggest incorporating another Judge too. should your sole 1 be prized that could potentially be a disadvantage for you.

Are the Bursting Balloon really that helpful?

Along with the Parallel City previously mentioned, running Delinquent could further more opponent's disruption.

I would try to fit 4 Acro bike in somewhere to get more pokemon into the discard

You discard Pokemon by playing them, or using discard mechanics (Sycamore/Ultra Ball). In my experience, saving vespiquen for the late game works very well instead of planning to focus a deck around vespiquen

What do you suggest removing for parallel city?
Of all the cards in your current list, the Pokémon Ranger would seem to be the least useful, IMO. Since you are running a non-EX deck, chances are you may not need to use that Supporter often. So, I'd suggest replacing the Pokémon Ranger with a Parallel City Stadium; and should you need 2 PCs, then consider replacing one of your FoGP Stadiums.

On the other hand, you could also replace 1 Bursting Balloon with a Parallel City since you can recover the Tools with Eco Arm. (Still replace the Pokémon with a 2nd Lysandre then).

Of all the cards in your current list, the Pokémon Ranger would seem to be the least useful, IMO. Since you are running a non-EX deck, chances are you may not need to use that Supporter often. So, I'd suggest replacing the Pokémon Ranger with a Parallel City Stadium; and should you need 2 PCs, then consider replacing one of your FoGP Stadiums.

On the other hand, you could also replace 1 Bursting Balloon with a Parallel City since you can recover the Tools with Eco Arm. (Still replace the Pokémon with a 2nd Lysandre then).

The hardest part for me is it can free me from locks like Giratina EX for example, and this has unlocked me from explosive turns. I think running 1 is useful. Giant plants works so well for me that u don't think i could afford trading it for something else.

My biggest challenegehere is fitting all of these tech cards into the deck. To change PC, i have thought about running 2-2 Octillery so i dont need PC because this deck does beat M-Ray in the speed game. But I've noticed Shaymins are what this decks weakness is. Maybe removing them would open this deck to more Vespiquen power. Also, this deck gets ruined by hex and ability lock

I know what you mean... The last few deck tweaks always seem to be the hardest... Just keep in mind to maintain your deck's overall high consistency, because consistency wins games; techs are situational at best. Also, play-test different options till you find the combination you like most.

Maybe -2 shaymin, -1 ballon, -1 Ranger ; +2-2 Octillery

Or,

-1 ballon, -1 FoGP or Ranger; +2 PC

Let me what you think!

Maybe -2 shaymin, -1 ballon, -1 Ranger ; +2-2 Octillery

Or,

-1 ballon, -1 FoGP or Ranger; +2 PC
Keep in mind that Octillery is a prime Lysandre target, you have no switching cards, and you already have very limited energy; so, you may not be able to "comfortably" afford adding a 2-2 Octillery line. So, I'd recommend keeping the Shaymin EX, but consider adding a Ninja Boy (-1 Bursting Balloon).

I'd also suggest considering a minimum 2 Parallel City if M Ray decks are popular in your area. Consider replacing 1 Vespiquen and 1 FoGP for 2 Parallel City Stadiums.

Last edited:
--1 Klefki
-1 Balloon
-1 N/Judge

+2 Parallel City
+1 Ninja Boy

Klefki is super situational and only has really saved me against Rayquaza-Mega (about the only mega deck besides MewTwo).
Since PC counters Rayquaza and other decks this should be sufficient pokemon count (considering most Vespiquen decks have ±22ish pokemon).

I am really appreciating your input TuxedoBlack! I think this deck has potential to be decent in Regionals next month and this is what I plan on playing.
what'd you think are some decent decks to counter the PRC-on meta?

... what'd you think are some decent decks to counter the PRC-on meta?
IMO, you will need to be ready to play against the following decks (which seem to get the most hype in my area):
  • Darkrai EX variants
  • Greninja
  • M Gardevoir
  • M Mewtwo EX - Garbodor
  • M Rayquaza EX
  • M Scizor EX
  • Primal Groudon EX - Carbink
  • Primal Kyogre EX - Articuno - Glaceon EX - Manaphy EX - Palkia EX - Regice
  • Volcanion EX
  • Xerneas variants
  • Zygarde EX - Carbink
I'm not sure what the "current" meta may be (especially in your area), but that will have little impact, IMO, given that there will be, most likely, players from other parts of the country (or even the world) competing and those players could influence the tournament's meta. In addition, the October's Regional tournaments will be first start to shape the meta (given the size of the player base).

So, just build a solid, consistent deck; playtest a lot against other top decks; play your deck well; and take your chances hoping for good match-ups. Have fun too! :)

Last edited:
IMO, you will need to be ready to play against the following decks (which seem to get the most hype in my area):
  • Darkrai EX variants
  • Greninja
  • M Gardevoir
  • M Mewtwo EX - Garbodor
  • M Rayquaza EX
  • M Scizor EX
  • Volcanion EX
  • Xerneas variants
  • Zygarde EX - Carbink
I'm not sure what the "current" meta may be (especially inn your area), but that will have little impact, IMO, given that there will be, most likely, players from other parts of the country (or even the world) competing and those players could influence the tournament's meta. So, just build a solid, consistent deck; playtest a lot against other top decks; and take your chances hoping for good match-ups.

Thanks, appreciate it! I plan on either playing this deck or my Zygarde/Carbink/Regirock deck in Regionals.

• Darkrai EX variants
  • Greninja
  • M Gardevoir
  • M Mewtwo EX - Garbodor
  • M Rayquaza EX
  • M Scizor EX
  • Volcanion EX
  • Xerneas variants
  • Zygarde EX - Carbink
I'm not sure what the "current" meta may be (especially in your area), but that will have little impact, IMO, given that there will be, most likely, players from other parts of the country (or even the world) competing and those players could influence the tournament's meta. In addition, the October's Regional tournaments will be first start to shape the meta (given the size of the player base).

So, just build a solid, consistent deck; playtest a lot against other top decks; play your deck well; and take your chances hoping for good match-ups. Have fun too! :)

I removed the Shaymins, added +1 Judge and +1 Lysandre and this deck is way more consistent. I think forcing the Opponent to take 6 prize cards works magic. I noticed most people end up winning by simply Lysandre out Shaymin. So, this deck is really more consistent without Shaymin. All I need is FoGP and 1 Yanma to ramp off Turn 1!

I'm glad your deck is coming together for your. Note that chances are there will be more Grass-weak decks being played at the upcoming Regional tournaments, but who really knows.... A Zygarge EX deck could be the right play too. Best of luck.

Back