• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Yanmega Break/ Vespiquen. Rush/ Powerful Late Game

Littlepinkbowman

Aspiring Trainer
Just Started playing Ptcgo about a month ago and decided to make my first serious deck and wanted to see what people think of it, and see if I can get some critiques as well.

A lot of the deck is inspired by YellowSwellow's Yanmega/ Raichu Deck. I played it for a bit and felt that the deck couldn't stand up to the meta due to the lack of damage it produced against EXs. So I looked for a good replacement for Raichu who depends on Sky Field to generate decent damage. I found that, in my binder at least, Vespiquen was by far the best pairing for Yanmega break.

Pokémon - 21

* 3 Combee AOR
* 3 Vespiquen AOR
* 3 Yanmega BREAK STS
* 4 Yanma STS
* 4 Yanmega STS
* 2 Remoraid BKT
* 2 Octillery BKT

Trainer Cards - 35

* 3 Bursting Balloon
* 2 Great Ball
* 3 Trainers' Mail
* 3 N
* 2 Lysandre
* 3 Professor Sycamore
* 3 Ultra Ball
* 1 Escape Rope PRC
* 1 Special Charge
* 3 Forest of Giant Plants
* 1 Revitalizer
* 2 Judge
* 2 Float Stone
* 3 VS Seeker
* 3 Level Ball

Energy - 4

* 4 Double Colorless Energy

This deck works on getting Yanmega Break set up fast and consistently while also setting up one or two Vespiquen as you attack with multiple Yanmega Breaks. Yanmega Break can be set up to do 100 dmg (120 if the opponent's active has an item attached) by the second turn for no energy. Though not too much damage, it can easily catch any deck off guard. As you play Octillery you can go through your deck using ultra balls and Sycamores to mill some of your extra mons to increase Vespiquens dmg, while also making sure you keep Yanmega's ability active. As your opponent KOs your Yanmega Break you lose one prize card and put three mons in the discard, generating at least 30 on Vespiquen damage for 1 prize card.

By endgame you should have taken about 4 prize cards if not more and if you lose all your Yanmega break you should have at least one Vespiquen up, doing at least 110 dmg. If you have two and lose the other, you'll then have a Vespiquen doing at least 130. If you play the deck correctly, by end game you can have a Vespiquen that's able to KO EXs. With end game Vespiquen you should pick up the rest of the prize cards you may have missed with Yanmega's early game rush.

If anyone has any advice as to what I should change that would be awesome. Or if you have any questions or just want to talk about the deck, that'd be cool.

Last edited:
A very solid list. Here are my thoughts...

Pokemon: - Octillery; I think that this is a very good late game card, but when you need a quick hand it just doesn't work. I would suggest running 1-2 Shaymin EX BUT thats only if you see the need for burst drawing.

Items: - Supporters; I think that you should add +1 Hex Maniac and +1 Pokemon Ranger to get out of attack, ability and other locks. I would cut either one Float stone and/or both great ball.
- Great Ball; If you choose to not cut these for the ranger and hex, i would definitely swap them out and add +1 Level Ball and +1 Ultra Ball as the card is too inconsistent for a meta deck.
- Bursting balloon; I feel that this card has a lot more potential when paired with Eco Arm, and I would recommend you to put it into this deck. I would cut -1 Yanmega, because if you can cycle balloons, you wont need as many attackers. Another thing with Bursting Ballon is, Sometimes, even with solid attack numbers, it will not KO bulky mega pokemon like Ray, Scizor, Groudon Etc. If mega pokemon are extra heavy in your area, you could swap 1-2 Balloon for Klefki STS (only do this if Megas are heavy in your area). This will also help boost Vespiquens' attack.
- Revitaliser; If you can find space for it, try bumping the count to 2

These are my thoughts, so take them with a grain of salt,

Rayquazatopaz34

I've been playing with this deck on PTCGO for the last couple of weeks with quite a few different revisions. I found that Remoraid/Octillery are not helpful nor really needed as long as you have even 1 Shaymin-EX. In my experience they were too slow and easy Lysandre targets.

If you remove the 2-2 Octillery you can then remove the Float Stone as both Vespiquen and Yanmega have free retreat.

I would also suggest removing the 2 Great Balls as mentioned above.

For additions I would suggest 4 Unown and 1 Shaymin-EX. They are both draw engines but Unown goes to the discard which then fuels Vespiquen.

In regards to Trainers I would suggest removing N and bumping Judge to 4. N is great at the beginning of the game but if you get 3 prizes, which hopefully you will, early then Judge is better anways. Also Judge triggers Yanmega which can be great when you have a hand full of stuff you could use but you have to keep your hand at 4 for Yanmega's ability. I found countless times that I could play my entire hand, then play Judge to setup Yanmega's ability and disrupt my opponent.

TD;DR
-2 Remoraid
-2 Octillery
-2 Great Ball
-3 N
+4 Unown
+1 Shaymin-EX
+2 Judge
+2 Open Slots

Hmm...
Is Vespiquen still viable after the rotation of Battle Compressor? Regardless, as a long-ish time Yanmega player, I can definitely see some of your ideas improving my decklist. Thanks!! :3
I would recommend an extra Sycamore. I love its consistency.

As a Yanmega/Raichu player, I definitely know the best and worst situations for Yanmega decks. Vespiquen does make a great partner for the deck as well. I still would play Octillery, the card makes Yanmega BREAK a consistent attacker. When I tried Vespiquen as a partner, I felt the deck lost consistency. All up to you, but I feel Vespiquen should be played with lots of Pokemon, such as Unown.

Back