Discussion XY10 Mandibuzz - The End of Shaymin EX?

bananainpijama

Magikarp used Splash!
As many of you have probably seen Mandibuzz from XY10 has been revealed on a flyer a couple of days ago. If not, here's the link: http://www.pokebeach.com/2016/02/mandibuzz-from-xy10

When i first saw it i thought it could be a nifty tech in some decks that already run Jolteon XY7, because of it's first attack "Bone Drop" that can OHKO a benched Shaymin if Mandibuzz has a wide lens attached. But then i realised, that there's a card from Phantom Forces called target whistle. This is where the idea turns out to be really competitive, because every deck nowadays runs at least 2 Shaymins and with target whistle you could pull them up on your opponents bench again and again. With just one colorless energy and Mandibuzz being a stage 1 you could stream them pretty fast, which means that you wouldn't need to worry about your opponents other pokemon as it would't hurt much if they KO your Mandibuzz.

Now since all the deck needs is a 4-4 Mandibuzz line and a 2-2 Jolteon line plus 3 wide lenses, 3-4 target whistles and about 6-7 basic energies it has plenty of space for some disruptive trainers such as hammers or head ringers to buy you time if needed. It would also be really consistent with cards like Brigette and level ball.
In case your opponent plays Garbodor or weakness policy you could just include severall more megaphones to get rid of the tools.

What do you guys think, could this be the end of Shaymin's reign?
I'll definitely give it a try once XY10 hits the stores.

Highly unlikely. Remember that Mandibuzz requires full dedication space of what you have mentioned. You also lose against any deck that doesn't run Shaymin originally, and besides if your opponent is smart, they can restrict you from the Shaymin you need (shuffling it away with N, choose to not play/discard it, shuffle it from the discard with Super Rod, etc). Furthermore, I think (don't quote me on this) that if a deck runs Garbodor, it won't have an issue, as Garbodor makes it so all Pokemon except for itself doesn't even have an Ability (such as Shaymin), so that is a pretty good check in any case.

Highly unlikely. Remember that Mandibuzz requires full dedication space of what you have mentioned. You also lose against any deck that doesn't run Shaymin originally, and besides if your opponent is smart, they can restrict you from the Shaymin you need (shuffling it away with N, choose to not play/discard it, shuffle it from the discard with Super Rod, etc). Furthermore, I think (don't quote me on this) that if a deck runs Garbodor, it won't have an issue, as Garbodor makes it so all Pokemon except for itself doesn't even have an Ability (such as Shaymin), so that is a pretty good check in any case.
I'm in agreement that most decks don't have to give you the Shaymin-EX candy prizes and can be very easy to play around. Regarding garbodor, I think spamming hex maniac so they can't even attack anything without three energy would be much more effective of a counter.

Mandibuzz is a stage 1, that needs a lot of support to be a Shaymin Killer, which besides that purpose, it is slightly underwhelming. So no, Shaymin EX is too good of a card to die, as shown by its prevalence in a format with tons of lysandres, Silent Lab, Wobb, Hex, etc etc etc.

When i first saw it i thought it could be a nifty tech in some decks that already run Jolteon XY7, because of it's first attack "Bone Drop" that can OHKO a benched Shaymin if Mandibuzz has a wide lens attached. But then i realised, that there's a card from Phantom Forces called target whistle. This is where the idea turns out to be really competitive, because every deck nowadays runs at least 2 Shaymins and with target whistle you could pull them up on your opponents bench again and again. With just one colorless energy and Mandibuzz being a stage 1 you could stream them pretty fast, which means that you wouldn't need to worry about your opponents other pokemon as it would't hurt much if they KO your Mandibuzz.
Shaymin will be played unless a basic or a grass type that can easily deal 110 snipe damage for a DCE or a single energy attachment. Even a stage one energy is not good enough.

Tbh i wonder if alot of these shaymin killer posts are more about the cost of the card rathee than actually countering it. I didnt want to buy them either but i bit the bullet and did it anyway

In all honesty this deck would auto lose to anyone smart enough to not bench Shaymin, and then proceed to fill their bench, or just not discard Shaymin in the first place. Sorry, but this is not the way to end the reign of Shaymin. The only way to do that would to print an easily accessible replacement which is better than Shaymin (not Octillery)

I got 3 Shaymin out of the 50 Boosters i bought when Roaring Skies was released, that isn't the problem.
I just wanted to find a way to punish people for playing braindead Shaymins and decking through half of their deck on the first turn, because thats so annoying :D

And to add the problem is that bone drop says don't apply weakness and resistance.

When dedenne FFI was released a lot of people though it would be the end of yveltal ex. Dedenne has seen some play, but is not in every deck. I think mandibuzz will be the same way. Not to mention it is a stage 1 with only 110 HP. I think shaymin is safe :)

This Mandibuzz has got a lot of hype, but it will never see some serious play, that's the truth.

Or you could play nightmarch with target whistles and lysandres, do the same strategy and have a deck that can work about 9001% better against anyone who won't or doesn't use shaymin in a "brain dead" manor.

2 counters to this, mr.mime or don't drop anything with abilities and blow up your attackers that can't hit my guys that aggressively. It's easy to win a game by koing shaymins and it's easy to win by never playing a shaymin down, you don't need some card that you think is special to do the same thing any deck can do.

Back