Discussion XY10 M Alakazam EX

gregpokeman

Aspiring Trainer
Hi guys. I just want to hear people's opinion on Mega Alakazm EX, if it is competitive, and how it will be used and impact the meta.

M Alakazam-EX – Psychic – HP210
Mega Evolution – Evolves from Alakazam-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

[P][C] Zen Force: 10+ damage. This attack does 10 damage plus 30 more damage for each damage counter on your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: 1

I think M Alakazam-EX will be competitive and it has a good pool of support cards to help set up the board in its favour. However, it has some difficult matchups in Standard.

Pros:
  • Low attack cost
  • High damage potential*
  • Alakazam-EX's ability
  • Good support pool
Cons:
  • Relies on the use of multiple damage spread abilities.
  • Psychic weakness (Night March, Trevenant BREAK)

*Zen Force's output under different scenarios:

Zen Force.PNG

Having 4 damage counters on the opponent's active is the critical number for OHKO's on 170 HP EXs. Unfortunately it's a bit more awkward to set up the OHKO on 180 HP cards.

M Alakazam-EX is likely to be an upgraded Wobbats (losing Bide Barricade but hitting bigger numbers). I expect to see it paired with a line of Zubat, Golbat and Crobat plus Super Scoop Up and Devolution Spray.

M Alakazam-EX is likely to be an upgraded Wobbats (losing Bide Barricade but hitting bigger numbers). I expect to see it paired with a line of Zubat, Golbat and Crobat plus Super Scoop Up and Devolution Spray.

There's that, or we can just godhand like Commercial-kun...

I think it's got loads of potential. Turn 2, if you get an Alakazam powered up and get the ability off, all you need is an Absol (ROS) and you're hitting Mega-level damage:

1. Evolve into Mega, 2 on Active and 3 on Bench.
2. Bench Absol, move 3 to Active. (5 DC on active)
3. Zen Force for 5 x 3 + 10 = 160 + 5 = 210 total.

That is insane. Unlike Bats, you also get something that can go in, for example, Raichu decks and act as a sweeper as well as a damage counter-dropper.

It'll be better in Standard post-rotation in my opinion, because Megaphone and Xerosic should rotate - losing your Spirit Links hurts your Devo Spray potential. Also, item locking will limited to Vileplume, so you can use S Links and Devo Spray with impunity. However, this also means you can't remove tools from Garbodor, so you need to Lysandre it up and kill it with something else in order to get your game going.

Thanks i totally agree with your points. I think once the set is out i will try bats mixed with absol.

I think it's got loads of potential. Turn 2, if you get an Alakazam powered up and get the ability off, all you need is an Absol (ROS) and you're hitting Mega-level damage:

1. Evolve into Mega, 2 on Active and 3 on Bench.
2. Bench Absol, move 3 to Active. (5 DC on active)
3. Zen Force for 5 x 3 + 10 = 160 + 5 = 210 total.
I have so many Absol, and now you gave me a use for them! Thank you! Garbodor will be a problem, you're right. If you can't get the tool off, or get damage counters on it before Garbotoxin activates, it will take two turns to knock it out. Which makes me wonder. What if Garbodor had Omega Barrier AT?

Last edited:
I have so many Absol, and now you gave me a use for them! Thank you! Garbodor will be a problem, your right. If you can't get the tool off, or get damage counters on it before Garbotoxin activates, it will take two turns to knock it out. Which makes me wonder. What if Garbodor had Omega Barrier AT?

lol if Garbodor had O Barrier it'd be the best card in format (maybe).

I think it's worth teching for Garb, maybe a Xerosic and a Head Ringer. It is also weak to Psychic though, so if you put any number of damage counters on it (with Alakazam, Crobat, etc) you can Lysandre it up and KO it quickly. If you have a backup Psychic attacker like Mewtwo or something, you can just pull it up and KO it that way too.

On that note I do think it's important to have a backup attacker in this deck, because much of your high damage comes from abilities and setup. I think Raichu/Alakazam might be a nice idea.

lol if Garbodor had O Barrier it'd be the best card in format (maybe).

I think it's worth teching for Garb, maybe a Xerosic and a Head Ringer. It is also weak to Psychic though, so if you put any number of damage counters on it (with Alakazam, Crobat, etc) you can Lysandre it up and KO it quickly. If you have a backup Psychic attacker like Mewtwo or something, you can just pull it up and KO it that way too.

On that note I do think it's important to have a backup attacker in this deck, because much of your high damage comes from abilities and setup. I think Raichu/Alakazam might be a nice idea.
Why not just wobuffett as a back up attacker? Has the same energy cost, similar attack, and one less prize is taken if he goes down.

Why not just wobuffett as a back up attacker? Has the same energy cost, similar attack, and one less prize is taken if he goes down.

Ah, what I meant was that the damage comes from placing damage counters using Alakazam. If that's disrupted in some way, the deck can't do damage anywhere near as easily. Wobbuffet still relies on placing damage counters, so it has the same issue. However, Wobbuffet/Alakazam may still be a great deck.

M Alakazam-EX is really not that competitive, it is alakazam EX that will be the competitive one. But you need M Alakzam EX to make alakazam ex work. Honestly, this is the first Mega set that really links the pokemon together. All the other Mega sets you really didn't need the counterpart to make the card work. I really think this is how Megas should work. Pokemon figured out a way to really link these two, in a way, that you will need both of them to play. Brilliant!

Because of the wide use of Shaymins, this card will be competitive. Currently, as far as I know, there is nothing that stops put and move damage. Even if you were locked down with regice/vapereon ex you can still put damage counters on them. On top of that, you are moving tools around (Spirit links for evolutions), Genesect is a perfect tech card for the set. With Devolution spray by your side, I can imagine some quick turns one.

I think this puts a lot of stage 2 evolution decks at risk because of the babies. Also, baby yveltal and Xernias are at risk even with 130. A 1st round, turn one with a two evolutions + DM Valley + Fight Spirit Belt to knock them out -- Remember Gensect can move a tool. I think fighting spirit belt on Megas will become a thing. I think that is why the Mega catcher was introduced. Also, I think the New Yveltal (Fright Night) will start seeing more play. Maybe, Bannet might see some play.

I don't think this deck will work without the 4/4 line of Alakazams 2 X Wubbofet + 1 Genesect EX.

On the flip side, item lock will not be a friend to this deck, Seismitoad/Giritinia is gonna shut it down, which is a good balance. To loose a turn to mega evolve will be massive for this deck. Startling Megaphone is on a come back. Xerosic will stay consistent.

Just thoughts.

Guys, I know this is crazy, but what if you used Dunsparce (Second Bite) as a secret weapon? :rolleyes: Haha. I agree with using Absol to compliment M/Alakazam, as well. Just trying to figure out what supporters and item cards would make a set up more consistent.

M Alakazam-EX is really not that competitive, it is alakazam EX that will be the competitive one. But you need M Alakzam EX to make alakazam ex work. Honestly, this is the first Mega set that really links the pokemon together. All the other Mega sets you really didn't need the counterpart to make the card work. I really think this is how Megas should work. Pokemon figured out a way to really link these two, in a way, that you will need both of them to play. Brilliant!

Because of the wide use of Shaymins, this card will be competitive. Currently, as far as I know, there is nothing that stops put and move damage. Even if you were locked down with regice/vapereon ex you can still put damage counters on them. On top of that, you are moving tools around (Spirit links for evolutions), Genesect is a perfect tech card for the set. With Devolution spray by your side, I can imagine some quick turns one.

I think this puts a lot of stage 2 evolution decks at risk because of the babies. Also, baby yveltal and Xernias are at risk even with 130. A 1st round, turn one with a two evolutions + DM Valley + Fight Spirit Belt to knock them out -- Remember Gensect can move a tool. I think fighting spirit belt on Megas will become a thing. I think that is why the Mega catcher was introduced. Also, I think the New Yveltal (Fright Night) will start seeing more play. Maybe, Bannet might see some play.

I don't think this deck will work without the 4/4 line of Alakazams 2 X Wubbofet + 1 Genesect EX.

On the flip side, item lock will not be a friend to this deck, Seismitoad/Giritinia is gonna shut it down, which is a good balance. To loose a turn to mega evolve will be massive for this deck. Startling Megaphone is on a come back. Xerosic will stay consistent.

Just thoughts.

I think Genesect's ability only works on it, not in your other pokemon.

No i think with Alakazm just use the spirit links so then you could use tool retriever and scoop up so you can have the links in your hand for another alakazm to evolve.

hey guys what do you think about trying M alakazm with Trev break

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts on Aegislash with him?
111603_150w.jpg

With a dimension valley and a DCE you can attack with aegislash. Maybe tech in hoopa, build up your bench and blast with your alakhazams followed up by sword pain.

I think it might be too slow, but man if you arranged it right you could get some crazy knockouts.

No i think with Alakazm just use the spirit links so then you could use tool retriever and scoop up so you can have the links in your hand for another alakazm to evolve.

Yes, that is how I would run it too. Though, I'm going to try and Tech Genesect in to see how it the decks runs.

The idea around Gensect in the Alkazam deck is that you can attach the spirit link to Genesect and then move it to your hand. When I'm playing, I know I have hit that 2 or 3 spirit link draw with the sycamore or birches, and not the right pokemon to put them on. Genensect just gives an option to play a spirit link on Genesect and then shift it after the draw support is played. All genesect does is conserve a tool card, when cards aren't falling the right way. It just gives an option.

The other nice thing about him, is that he is bait for the head ringer and jamming net. Tossing a head ringer or a jamming net on Genesect would not be the most optimal play. It could force opponents into awkward situations, when they really want to use it on Alakazam.

I believe Genesect is a bit more useful than he appears, thought it will take a bit of experimenting to hash him out.

I think Alkazam does need to run lean. Trev and bats, might be to clunky.

M Alakazam could be nice with Absol (moving damage counters after evolving Alakazam) and Bats.

Back