XY Series Duration and Next Series

Monsterblood12

Aspiring Trainer
Just wondering what you guys think on how many more expansions they will make within the X and Y set. Also, I'm curious to see what the next set will be after they are done with X and Y.

Honestly, I hated the black and white expansions, (mainly because I loathe the newer generation of pokemon,) however, I am pretty happy with X and Y because they include so many older pokemon and ones they haven't printed in a long time. So if it does go on for a while yet, then I am OK with that. For the most part though, I miss the older days. The EX set was my favorite, and had (imo) the best expansions there were. What are your guys thoughts on today's game, the cards, and future expansions?

RE: How many more expansions in X and Y...? (Speculation)

Id imagine about another 4 after Primal Clash.

We still dont have a cards for: Zygarde, Hoopa, Volcanion

and they could do a set based on the Gyms and Elite 4 of Kalos and Hoenn.

Im still hopeing for a set in English based on the Anime.

Monsterblood12 said:
Also, I'm curious to see what the next set will be after they are done with X and Y.

Bulbapedia has the next Japanese expansion listed as Emerald Break. Whether that has any relationship to the old Emerald EX series, who knows?

Credits, it's not just Bulbapedia, Emerald Break was announced here on Pokebeach as well.

Well I think this will depend on the end of this generation. Let's say that we hear something about X2/Y2 OR Z tomorrow (reminder; this is almost guaranteed to NOT occur) or even in the middle of the year. It would be the end of the year before we actually get the game(s). That would be three more sets this year, Emerald Break in May then the one in August and the one that would come out in November at the same time as the theoretical game(s).

Now they will likely make more XY sets until we get another generation. That's another year at least with four sets in that year for a total of seven. But when do we hear about the (assumed but most likely) seventh generation. Maybe halfway through the year, we get a release for it in February of 2016. Maybe we start a new set then too, or maybe we get another XY set for a total of eight.

As The-Kaisar said, we are still missing Zygarde (assuming this Pokemon doesn't have other formes) Volcanion and Hoopa, who we know has two formes. Who knows when we get these cards. I half assume Hoopa (both formes?) will be released in Japan mid this year, and we might get it end of the year as what happened with Diancie. Still leaves at least two Pokemon, assuming we don't see something different in the theoretical new game(s) that would change this.

Also, for what it's worth, if the company cares to get all megas out before the next generation, we are missing 35 Mega Pokemon. This include M. Absol since we haven't gotten this in English and assuming each mega only gets one card despite being dual type like Diancie is, and assuming the again theoretical game(s) don't introduce new megas. If they were all done only in main sets at two each it would take seventeen more sets to get these out.

Not that I think they'd hold out on new generations that long. I see eventually getting other collections like the M. Diancie colletion (M. Absol being one of them) and that M. Mewtwo X/M. Mewtwo Y would be handled in the same vein as M. Charizard X/M. Charizard Y was. And if they're that desperate they might even release some kind of product like they did with Dragon's Vault, only for megas. As I say this is at least two years out.

In short I will predict seven to eight XY expansions.

The length of the Gen 6 block really depends on whether or not a Pokemon Z game releases.

Well history shows that we'll most likely have some sort of game to go with XY. The big question is whether it will be a Pokemon Z or if it will be PokemonX2/Y2. Every main game has had a third part after all.

Sorry but the full art ex's are what actually got me back into collecting the cards again after the horrible e-series sets.
I don't think any of the past sets stand up to the full arts we have now, even the terrible full arts in the early Black and White sets.

I hope the full arts are here to stay for many more series, even after the X&Y expansion is over.

I would really love if we got some kind of owner's Pokémon again, but I'm thinking we'll probably just get a name shift over to whatever the 3rd XY game is (whether it's X or XY2 or whatever) but the card mechanics and systems will stay the same. We're getting Aqua/Magma cards in the mini-set, so I really don't think that will be a main-set thing, sadly, but I'm still hoping they could do something like Gym Leaders or E4 or whatever. >_>

Back