XY Potential Decks and Game Breaking cards

I'm surprised Delphox isn't getting very much love here. Draw until I have 6 cards in my hand for as many Delphox I have in play? Yes, Please!

Delphox is good but not game breaking. Like I said the only things potentially game breaking are Trevenant and Yveltal EX.

Delphox sounds like a great draw engine for those who don't want to spend hundreds on Tropical Beach. In Rayboar, it can be a good backup attacker on top of the draw.

Apparently, there's been a ruling that you can reflip for Malamar's mental trash if you're playing Fliptini. If they have 3 or less cards in hand, you can wipe out their whole hand. It could be all the more reason to play cards like Delphox.

pokedan24 said:
Delphox sounds like a great draw engine for those who don't want to spend hundreds on Tropical Beach. In Rayboar, it can be a good backup attacker on top of the draw.

Apparently, there's been a ruling that you can reflip for Malamar's mental trash if you're playing Fliptini. If they have 3 or less cards in hand, you can wipe out their whole hand. It could be all the more reason to play cards like Delphox.

Running Rare Candy and some extra cards to draw more? Yes please (sarcasm)! Delphox is only in in fire decks, or something that uses Rare Candy already. It sucks everywhere else, and thanks to Garbodor it's even worse.

Blui said:
pokedan24 said:

Running Rare Candy and some extra cards to draw more? Yes please (sarcasm)! Delphox is only in in fire decks, or something that uses Rare Candy already. It sucks everywhere else, and thanks to Garbodor it's even worse.

That's what I meant. In decks running stage 2's, I can see this being put in as a 1-1 or 2-2 line. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's game breaking, but it's does have it's advantages and disadvantages over other draw engines (mainly tropical beach and Electrode).

Chestnaught seems quite dangerous. When you attach a Rocky Guard to it, you don't have a lot of good options as it can do 90 damage to you when you attack. Yes, Sigilyph can be almost as bad but Salamence, Garbodor and Tool Scrapper smash it.

pokedan24 said:
Blui said:

That's what I meant. In decks running stage 2's, I can see this being put in as a 1-1 or 2-2 line. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's game breaking, but it's does have it's advantages and disadvantages over other draw engines (mainly tropical beach and Electrode).

But that's just it, Delphox is nothing more than a poor man's Tropical Beach in a format where draw consistency means everything without hindering your deck's performance competitively. Running a tight Stage 2 line with Delphox to obtain the same draw consistency as running 1-2 Tropical Beach that does the same thing doesn't make sense when Tropical Beach can be searched with Skyla on Turn 1 when you'll have that draw engine ready to go without having to wait a turn to Rare Candy a Fennekin into Delphox despite the price tag and scarcity of Tropical Beach itself. As for Garbodor the only way for Delphox to deal with it If it's your main or secondary attacker (not as a tech alone) is by running Tool Scrapper.

If Delphox see's more play in the current format then I can already see more people teching in Keldeo EX over Mr. Mime to Rush In whenever their opponent sends Delphox Active to Secret Sword for the KO and it wouldn't be that hard to pull off with Scramble Switch and DCE either. So If Delphox is being played as a main attacker and/or a secondary attacker aside from being a draw engine for Mystical Fire then you'll need Leafeon as a tech for Energy Crush against it If you time it right. With Pokemon Catcher still seeing play with Sableye's Junk Hunt let alone Genesect EX's Red Signal for bench manipulation, Delphox might not be 100% safe on the bench to take advantage of Mystical Fire.

But Tropical Beach has it's flaws too. You give up the rest of your turn which makes you vulnerable to N and Red Card. You also give your opponent a chance to recover from a bad hand and it can be countered even easier with another stadium. I'm not saying Delphox is all better, but it isn't all worse either.

pokedan24 said:
But Tropical Beach has it's flaws too. You give up the rest of your turn which makes you vulnerable to N and Red Card. You also give your opponent a chance to recover from a bad hand and it can be countered even easier with another stadium. I'm not saying Delphox is all better, but it isn't all worse either.
Guys, the argument is not at all Delphox vs. Tropical Beach. Only Emboar and Blastoise run Delphox, and you still need 2-3 Tropical Beach alongside Delphox in those decks. Delphox is superior to Electrode even though it needs Rare Candy because in those decks you already have spare Candies to use. It is obviously a better attacker and provides more powerful draw.

grantm1999 said:
pokedan24 said:
Guys, the argument is not at all Delphox vs. Tropical Beach. Only Emboar and Blastoise run Delphox, and you still need 2-3 Tropical Beach alongside Delphox in those decks. Delphox is superior to Electrode even though it needs Rare Candy because in those decks you already have spare Candies to use. It is obviously a better attacker and provides more powerful draw.

Well Blastoise could run Delphox as a way to get around VirGen just by deluging energies onto it for Blaze Ball however it'd only be doing 130 damage with Silver Bangle attached which is 40 damage shy of a KO but what would be the point when there's hardly any metagame decks weak to Fire right now other than VirGen? Delphox of course has much better damage output to deal with VirGen when being paired up with Emboar for that +20 energy attachment boost with Blaze Ball and Rayquaza EX could be a viable tech to get around Black Kyurem EX being played in Blastoise variants.

Card Slinger J said:
Well Blastoise could run Delphox as a way to get around VirGen just by deluging energies onto it for Blaze Ball however it'd only be doing 130 damage with Silver Bangle attached which is 40 damage shy of a KO but what would be the point when there's hardly any metagame decks weak to Fire right now other than VirGen? Delphox of course has much better damage output to deal with VirGen when being paired up with Emboar for that +20 energy attachment boost with Blaze Ball and Rayquaza EX could be a viable tech to get around Black Kyurem EX being played in Blastoise variants.

Well, Delphox, without fire energy and a Bangle would do 80, 160 with weakness...

Card Slinger J said:
So many things are wrong with this:
1. No, Delphox is used for draw, not attacking in Blastoise. Against VirGen don't bother attacking with it just go Black Ballista.
2. Blastoise doesn't run Bangle you just plow through everything with BKEX.
3. Ray EX a viable tech? The deck's called RayBoar for a reason.

@luispipe Blastoise doesn't run Fire or Bangle, and with Boar you just load 2-3 Fires to OHKO VirGen stuff.

Pookapotamus said:
What decks do you guys think Skarmory EX has a place in?

Maybe something like Reuniclus / Klinklang / Cobalion EX. I've been thinking about it but haven't tested it yet.

I think Skarmory's Joust could have some uses in plasma decks for item lock decks running silver mirror. Tailspin piledriver (cool attack name) + muscle band + 30 damage from previous snipe = 170, enough to take out a lot of threats. It doesn't make it game breaking, but it does save it from being useless in my book.

Another card I don't think is that bad is Venusaur EX (non mega). Self healing + protection from stasis with Virizion could make for a decent tank. Maybe throw in Reuniculus to manipulate the damage and a 1-1 Leavanny line to deal with fire decks and you could have a deck.

I also think Blastoise Rapid Spin could find some niche in some rogue "Bad Deck Monday" kind of deck.

grantm1999 said:
So many things are wrong with this:
1. No, Delphox is used for draw, not attacking in Blastoise. Against VirGen don't bother attacking with it just go Black Ballista.
2. Blastoise doesn't run Bangle you just plow through everything with BKEX.
3. Ray EX a viable tech? The deck's called RayBoar for a reason.

If Delphox wants to deal with Blastoise then just send out Leafeon for Energy Crush plain and simple. Blastoise doesn't need Delphox to deal with VirGen when it's already got Black Kyurem EX for Black Ballista as you pointed out. I pointed out Rayquaza EX as a way for RayBoar to deal with Black Kyurem EX as well as Garchomp/Altaria and Dragonite.

Rayquaza EX is the focus of the deck itself.... Maybe you mean just regular rayquaza?

Not game breaking by any means, but decent enough to mention: Furfrou. Kind of reminds me of Bouffalant. Swellow is also cool. It can sit on the bench and disrupt an opponent.

What you definitely should be aware of is Gourgeist. Played it at a League Challenge with Garbodor and won. I know it's just a League Challenge but it worked so well that it definitely has potential in my opinion. Not tier 1 but at least a tier 3 surprise deck that is a big problem for decks which rely on EX Pokemon.

Back