XY Potential Decks and Game Breaking cards

skyla27

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, I know this is speculation, but I'm gonna go ahead and speculate for now. I've been checking out the scans on the main page here for the new X/Y, and I see a couple potential combos that would be ridiculous. First off, I'd like to discuss Hypnotoxic Laser/Virbank Gym. Everyone knows this combination, and looking through the cards, i'm seeing a potentially gamebreaking pairing with this deck. The new Conkeldurr X/Y is set up to match, if not exceed Darkrai EX in both speed and power. Here is the translation of the card (all translations courtesy of Pokebeach):
Conkeldurr - Fighting - HP140
Stage 2 - Evolves from Gurdurr

[F] Wake-Up Slap: 30+ damage. If your opponent's Active Pokemon is affected by any Special Conditions, this attack does 60 more damage. Then, remove all Special Conditions from that Pokemon.
[F][F][C] Dynamic Punch: 60+ damage. Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 40 more damage and your opponent's Active Pokemon is now Confused.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3
Now is it just me, or is one Fighting energy for 90 damage a bit broken? I know that this card does not have the ability to retreat like Darkrai does, nor does Conkeldurr hit the bench, but Rare Candy T2 and you're hitting for 90 just like that? Plus possible sleep with the laser. I know with Dark Patch and Dark Claw that Darkrai is still viable, believe me. However the consequences of being able to attack for 90 damage on Turn 2 are undeniable. The only downside I see to a potential build like this is the inability to combat Psychic types. Then again, are we seeing a separate deck or is Darkrai finally going to have a companion to back him up, making him unbeatable? While you all are mulling these prospects, let me blow your mind yet again: X/Y series Raichu. Now this is quite the card. This could potentially replace Kyurem/Absol/Lugia in the Plasma archetype. THAT's how good this is. Our furry little Electric friend has gained a super attack for relatively cheap that could very well turn Plasma into BDIF in my opinion.
Raichu - Lightning - HP90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Pikachu

[C][C] Elecircle: 20x damage. This attack does 20 damage times the number of your Benched Pokemon.
[L][L][C] Thunderbolt: 100 damage. Discard all Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: 1
So not only can you Level Ball this thing, you can drop 3 or 4 Deoxys on your Bench alongside 1 Thundurus, drop a Plasma badge and for either a DCE or 2 Lightning hit for 140. That's just crazy if you ask me. and it also makes Emolga worth dropping in a Plasma deck XD. Imagine the look on an Accelgoth player's face when you OHKO the last Gothitelle they have. Anyways, speaking of Accelgoth, here's a deck that runs really slow, seemingly. The biggest complaint from Goth players is the time it takes to get the proper setup going, especially after a bad draw. Tired of taking 3-4 turns to get your Gothitelles out? No worries, Deck-and-Cover fans, Trevenant X/Y is here to "spruce" up your decks and get its Item lock on XD. It's got 110 HP, which is by no means unbeatable with all the psychic stalwarts in the format today, but getting a turn 2 Item lock for the price of an Ultra Ball means you'll be attacking sooner and freezing up your opponents faster as well! Here's the text to Trevenant found on this site:

Trevenant - Psychic - HP110
Stage 1 - Evolves from Phantump

Ability: Curse of the Forest
As long as this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, your opponent can’t play Item cards from his or her hand.

[P][C][C] Wood Slam: 60 damage. This attack does 20 damage to 2 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance when damaging the Bench.)

Weakness: Dark (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 3
Float Stone one of those and wha-BAM! Time to Deck and Cover XD. Anyways, Im getting tired of writing, so ill leave the potential decklists up to your guys's imagination. How will these cards affect the current format? Will a new deck rise to the top of the metagame? Give your opinions folks, I've given mine. And most importantly, have fun =).

RE: XY Potential Decks and GameBreaking cards

The only good card you mentioned is Trevenant. Raichu isn't terrible though. The problem with Conkeldurr is you only cap at 110 (with Muscle Band). You can't hit for that 90 six times, and it kind of sucks against everything that isn't Darkrai.

RE: XY Potential Decks and GameBreaking cards

If you read the attack on Conkledurr it says it cures them of their status effects, if you wanted to run a card that did damage based on status effects just use ninetales with hexed flame. The raichu is really nice, I don't see it getting play in plasma but I do see it getting play in a flareon deck as a tech against empoleon and yvetal. The Trevenant has me scared... luckily its best partner, accelgor will likely be rotated more sooner than later.

Conkeldurr is alright, but I'd rather play Dugtrio.

Dugtrio - Fighting - HP90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Diglett

[F] Earthquake: 60 damage. Does 10 damage to each of your Benched Pokemon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)
[F][C][C] Rock Tumble: 60 damage. This attack's damage isn't affected by Resistance.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Just attach a silver bangle and you're taking out Darkrai for one energy. Mr Mime Negates the drawback. Overall, much easier to get into play thanks to being a stage 1.

Raichu should be good, at least against Yveltal and Lugia EX.

As for Trevenant, the stage 1 Gothitelle? I think it's safe to say that it's going to annoy a lot of players.

Trevenant: No doubt this will be played. I could see Trevenant/Accelgor, but I could also see just playing Trevenant and a bunch of items (would make for some strange mirror matches).

Big Dark Basics: Yveltal/Yveltal EX/Darkrai EX/Absol. I wouldn't count Sableye out (though Trevenant does hurt), but dark varients without Sableye should be viable now.

Fairies: Fairies have acceleration, the ability to move energy around, and immunity to special conditions. There are a lot of options here and you don't even have to use fairy pokemon to take advantage of the support. Speaking of which...

Rainbow/Six Corners: With Prism and Rainbow in the same format, there are 8 wild energy cards. This allows for a wider variety of attackers that can also benefit from cards like verdant wind or energy trans (that only work for a specific energy type).

Yeah. I find it funny that you call these cards game beaking as they're all pretty crap in NXD-XY. Lolz. They're all stage 1 or 2 which is crap in itself. There's just so much you need to happen to make any of these work. Don't worry its easy to plasma badge raichu and get proper acceleration and get 4 deoxys down and get a stage 1 on the field and do that continuously. I like the fairy deck the best though.

pokedan24 said:
Conkeldurr is alright, but I'd rather play Dugtrio.

Dugtrio - Fighting - HP90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Diglett

[F] Earthquake: 60 damage. Does 10 damage to each of your Benched Pokemon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)
[F][C][C] Rock Tumble: 60 damage. This attack's damage isn't affected by Resistance.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Just attach a silver bangle and you're taking out Darkrai for one energy. Mr Mime Negates the drawback. Overall, much easier to get into play thanks to being a stage 1.

Raichu should be good, at least against Yveltal and Lugia EX.

As for Trevenant, the stage 1 Gothitelle? I think it's safe to say that it's going to annoy a lot of players.

And then Dugtrio is crap against anything but Darkrai. 1 for 60 is nice, but it isn't great coming from an Evolved Pokemon that has only 90 HP.

Raichu... does it remind anyone of Cinccino B/W? I really liked using this card when it was around, so I'm happy to see that it's getting a sort of reprint. The cards I find scariest from the set is Yveltal EX and Trevenant. I'm not too happy that either of these cards are being printed. It's not like Darkrai decks needs more potential support. While having such easy access to a one-sided trainer lock can create all kinds of different problems. Another card that could potentially ruin games in the future would be Red Card. By itself it's a pretty powerful sort of disruption, however with the right support it could be outright game breaking. For example if a convenient way to discard/shuffle in 2-3 cards from the opponents hand is put into the game then it could easily leave you top decking turn 1. Two cards I'm looking forward to using would be two of the new starters, Greninja and Delphox.

Basic Darkness Pokémon: Yveltal non-Ex and Yveltal Ex are ideal in Darkrai decks. Consistent energy acceleration and speed combined into one deck.

Faries: Energy transfer and two nice Basics to abuse it. The status protection is nice but the deck becomes less consistent and much slower when you attempt to run both assistance lines in addition to the standard tech Keldeo Ex to allow Xerneas Ex to switch in and out.

Trevenant: One-sided item denial is nice. Not sure on the ideal partner since most decks now tech Keldeo Ex and are therefore able to switch out of the status lock with ease. Maybe a hammer built could work. Darkness weakness hurts and ballances the card somehow.

Trainers: The new set has several nice trainers. Hard Charm is a better version of Evolite and Muscle Band is a more versatile Dark Claw in non-Darkness Pokémon decks. Red Card can be awesome when used at the right time and Team Flare Grunt increases to the hammer arsenal. Professor Letter is a nice replacement of Energy Search which seems to be a common tech in several decks.

Eviolite actually does have an advantage over Hard Charm (if the current translation is correct) since it can also reduce self-damage from attacks such as Zekrom's Bolt Strike. However Hard Charm certainly is a more splashable card.

Blui: I'd say Dugtrio does it's job once it takes out Darkrai. I don't think it's going to be anything gamebreaking, but as an easy counter to one of the most popular cards in format? It's good.

Conzipe: Good catch. I didn't notice that the first time I read the scans. It's a shame because that was one of the things I liked about Eviolite. I don't know why they couldn't have just made an eviolite for everyone.

What does everyone think about roller skates? Flip a coin to draw three cards and it's an item. I think it's one of the better coin flip cards myself, but it's still a coin flip card...

pokedan24 said:
What does everyone think about roller skates? Flip a coin to draw three cards and it's an item. I think it's one of the better coin flip cards myself, but it's still a coin flip card...

This card isn't terrible if you don't mind potentially wasting some deck space (and I'm not being sarcastic). If you're playing a speed variant where you want to go through half your deck in one turn, this is Trainer draw power. Unlike Bicycle, you don't have to play down your entire hand to try to draw just one card. You just play it. It let's you keep your options open in that respect. And there's no chance that it'll be a dead card in your hand of seven after a Juniper. I honestly believe it would be a four-of in everything if it weren't for the coin flip. The coin flip keeps it from being broken, but like Catcher, that doesn't mean it's unplayable.

Dark Espeon said:
Trevenant: One-sided item denial is nice. Not sure on the ideal partner since most decks now tech Keldeo Ex and are therefore able to switch out of the status lock with ease. Maybe a hammer built could work. Darkness weakness hurts and ballances the card somehow.

Trevenant's ideal partner is Gothitelle since Keldeo EX gets around Accelgor using rush in. You'll mainly want to focus on hand disruption strategies by running stuff like Ghetsis and Red Card with even a Celebi EX tech to use Phantump's Astonish attack. In terms of matchups it should do well against anything that isn't Darkrai.

Yeah, I'm afraid that Trevenant and Gothitelle would be monotonous and unnecessary. I'm thinking, if anything, a bunch of Laser, Hammers, Triad even, and Red Card.

Xerneas with Geo Impact and Aromatisse will be interesting.

I do like Red Card. I have this strange urge to run four in one of those decks that has room for 30+ items.

My problem with red card is the fact that most decks just don't have the room to play it. As always consistency over techs. Sure there will be the occasional deck with the free space to play it but every deck won't play four if any.

^ Unless your name is Darkrai/Sableye or that dreaded Trevenant thing. So much room for Trainers.

I think Red Card will find a niche. Whether or not that niche will be successful is another matter.

Back