• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format XY-On: Tyranitar Bats (M Tyranitar EX / Golbat)

hiltzy85

Aspiring Trainer
The list I've been thinking about is as follows...

Pokemon (17)
  • 3 Tyrannitar EX
  • 3 M Tyranitar EX
  • 3 Yveltal (XY)
  • 4 Zubat (PHF)
  • 4 Golbat (PHF)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (31)
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Shadow Circle
  • 4 Level Ball
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 3 Tyranitar Spirit Link
  • 2 VS Seeker
  • 3 Hard Charm
Energy (12)
  • 8 Darkness Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Strategy:

I think it's pretty straight forward. The idea is to play some bats to get damage on a bunch of the opposing Pokémon and then bring in M Tyranitar to finish them off with destroyer king. With golbat's 20 damage it allows M Tyranitar to do 230 and kill any currently known pokemon (barring resistance, etc). Little Yveltal acts to accelerate some energy onto Tyranitar, as well as doing a bit of damage himself.

The reprinting of level ball should be very good for the deck insofar as it allows easy fetching of the various bats that you may need. i feel like 4x sycamore, 4x trainers' mail and some number of Birch's observations will be pretty standard once colress and N rotate. The hard charms are kind of just in there to try and fill up prospective head ringer slots on M Tyranitar and I'm not 100% sold on them. I was thinking of also trying out 2x Absol (XY) as a contingency plan for moving damage onto active Pokémon from retreated/switched/escape roped mons to keep on OHKO-ing with destroyer king in the case that I can't find a Lysandre. I would probably include 1x pokemon fan club in there to help dig them out if needed (plus it can grab Yveltal and zubat if need be).

Tyranitar-EX – Darkness – HP180
Basic Pokemon

[D][C][C] Head Smash: 60 damage.

[D][D][C][C] Ground Break: 130 damage. Does 10 damage to each of your Benched Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 4

M Tyranitar-EX - Darkness – HP240
Mega Evolution – Evolves from Tyranitar-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

Θ Double: This Pokemon can have 2 Pokemon Tools attached to it.

[D][D][C][C] Destroyer King: 110+ damage. Does 60 more damage for each damage counter on your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 4

Last edited:
Hello again!

After some research into set, I discovered that, in a twist that is similar to Omega Barrier, Theta Stop can negate Golbat damage and Absol when you try to use golbat's ability against one w/ Theta Stop. Luckily for you, the most threatening pokemon that can use Theta Stop effectively enough to derail M-Tar is Mega Sceptile-EX, and yet, there's a stadium that can add 2 counters to megas between turns, even w/o the possibility of Golbat damage via methods such as Theta Stop: Color-drained city. Unfortunately, the same 2 counters also applies to M-Tar: since it's a stadium card, both sides are affected by it in some way...

^ If you want Color-Drained city, drop one trainer's mail and 1 hard charm. FYI, hard charm should be there in case you go second on turn 1 vs. MRay and/or Shiftry(FLF: the one w/ Deranged Dance), in case he sets up and is fully ready to attack w/ Emerald Break/Deranged Dance w/ full bench on opposing player's turn 1, as well as stadium locks Skyfield on turn 1/2 w/ Ninetales, depending on whether or not he has shaymin-ex from Roaring Skies, as w/o HC, assuming TTar-EX is active, you may not get your first TTar Mega'd in time to avoid a first attack KO assuming your opponent is lucky to get a SSU heads to remove Shaymin-EX from, and re-place Shaymin-EX on, bench to allow a 6-card opposing hand, and while you can mega a second, you will find HC vital to keep the second MTar from getting KO'd by MRay, if only by a margin of 20 HP, so you can evolve Zubat and KO MRay in return. Or, if you KO one MRay, HC can avoid a KO from a second MRay set up from bench on opponent turn 2, before the first KO, by 20HP, on opponent turn 3..

Last edited:
the stadium that damages megas is definitely interesting, and increasing the stadium count in general might not be a bad idea if only to help counter-stadium the other guy's sky fields. The problem is obviously that its a totally dead card against decks that aren't using Megas, but it seems like there probably aren't going to be very many of those.

As for theta stop, I'd like to think that once in a while I'll get 30 damage on things from little Yvetal's oblivion wing prior to M Ttar coming in. The more I think about it, the more Absol seems like a cute idea and less like something that I actually want to use.

It's really a shame that we're more than likely going to be losing Darkrai EX. That free retreat is so nice

Also remember that Golbat can attack all the opponent's Pokemon for a Colorless energy and has free retreat. Could be helpful against Theta Stop. Then again, M Sceptile's attack does heal off damage from the bench.

i have the same idee but for my build ia thinking of working whit the toggekis from roaring skies so we can get a 2 turn atacking m tyranitar the only thing i stil have to work out is to get the starting damge on the opesing pokemon and not use a atack but for that i was thinking of using the team maga s hidden base that when you play a pokemon on the bench you get 2 dameg counters but iam still working it all out this is my starting idee but it can have a fast setup i think

Could you please include scans / text for cards that have yet to be released from the next set? Thanks!

the better stadium her is team magmas secret base from double crisis, u can drop some bats and add mega turbo !

With Team magmas secret base and some Bad Energy from Ancient Origins, coupled with attacks form baby Yveltal (which you want to do anyway to accelerate Mega TTar) you have all sorts of ways to put that magic 20 to 30 damage on the opposing mons. I have been playtesting with 4-4 Golbat line and it seems excessive. dropping it down to a 3-3 line and pulling a level ball has been working and frees up those 3 slots for other deliciousness. I personally love teammates so I add3ed one of those and 3 acro bikes. I am not using the trainers' mail however so I don't know if that would be to much item based draw...

I personally prefer trainers' mail to acro bike, although bike can grab a lot of things that mail can't, and it can put energies into the discard for little Yveltal to pick up which is definitely good. I like that mail gives me the option to take nothing if I only find things that I don't want and I can always choose to discard energies with ultra ball or sycamore.

I've been testing out Steven a little bit and he seems to be pretty good if you're able to Steven for an energy you need and a Sycamore or another Steven to keep it going the following turn. I've never really felt too badly about playing Steven turn 1, especially if he's the only supporter in my opening hand. He seems pretty effective at thinning cards, too, to give your Sycamores and Birch's observations a little more oomph when you actually get around to drawing cards en masse.

I like the idea of Steven, where would you fit him in? I just read that Bad Energy can't be pulled out with Yveltal, if that is true it makes me sad... :*( I will proabably still include 2 and replace the others with regular Dark energy. I'd rather they Xerosic or Enhanced Hammer my bad Energy than my DCE.

I'm looking to make a M-Tar deck as well and your list looks good. I think 3-3 bats line is enough and you could drop the level balls to 2-3.

Absol could be good. I'd run 1 at most, but you're bummed if you start with it.

Depending on how popular Giratina EX is a Hex Maniac might be worth running as it'd be tedious taking one down with Yveltal and bats. I think Giratina / Vileplume will be a pretty popular deck, might be worth considering. Steven is also good since item lock decks will be everywhere.

I can't stand cards with flip effects and dislike Professor Birch. There's not much else you can run for draw supporter XY on. Ace Trainer maybe? I'd def take out 1 Birch for Steven.

Team Magma's secret base might be the better stadium. I don't see many fighting decks other than P-Groudon being played which most likely 1 shots M-Tar with a stadium in play anyways. Maybe a mix of 2 Secret Base and 1 Shadow Circle.

I think some Mega Turbo and a Battle Compressor would help speed things up. You could be hitting T-2 for KO's.

List with some changes would look like this:

-1 Zubat
-1 Goldbat
-1 Level Ball
+2 Mega Turbo
+1 Battle Compressor

-1 Professor Birch's Observations
+1 Steven

Pokemon (15)

3 Tyrannitar EX
3 M Tyranitar EX
3 Yveltal (XY)
3 Zubat (PHF)
3 Golbat (PHF)

Supporters (9)

4 Professor Sycamore
2 Professor Birch's Observations
2 Lysandre
1 Steven

Trainers/Stadiums (24)

4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers' Mail
3 Level Ball
3 Tyranitar Spirit Link
3 Hard Charm
2 VS Seeker
2 Shadow Circle
2 Mega Turbo
1 Battle Compressor

Energy (12)

8 Darkness Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

Waiting on some cards in the mail and I'll mock up a test deck soon. Let you know what I find good. gl

if you don't want birch's observations you could play Shauna instead, I guess. For what it's worth, if you flip completely average with Birch you're going to draw slightly more cards off of him than you will with shauna (1 extra card every 2 uses, on average).

Birch is technically better, and it's really the only choice. Wish we had a Colress or similar supporter in the next format. I'm on the fence about items. Hard charms are obvious but are they good? They help avoid KO's from M-Ray and make M-Tar harder to take down. EXP share is also an option as powering up the 2nd M-Tar with Yveltal is slow and clunky since you have no way other than retreat to switch. It'd be nice to find a way to fit 2 Switch / Escape Rope in here

I think a couple of escape ropes are important. TTar has 4 retreat and even Yveltal has 2 so i think it adds fluidity to the board for you. I also like the 2 Magmas Base/ 1 Circle for the stadiums. Birch is fine and as discussed nets you a half a card advantage over Shauna. I did put in Steven in my build and he has been useful. I don't think i can see running two however. With the inclusion of 2 Escape Ropes you can cut out one Lysandre and add another VS Seeker. I cut the Battle Compressor and the trainers mails for 3 Acro Bikes and 2 Escape Ropes. I like that you can get whatever you want off of the Acro Bikes often discarding an energy.

Back