P!P/Rules XY-On Rotation Possibly Confirmed

Does anyone have an opinion or a credible source on which TCG sets should be roatated? No matter what, the rotation is going to be huge. Hypnotoxic Laser is going to be rotated, along with Colress and Colress Machine, which are three big trainer cards in the Plasma Storm format.
Flareon will be gone because Freeze is, no matter what, rotating out. Float Stone will be gone too... Now either Plasma Blast and up, LTR and up, or XY and up. I wish it would be LTR and on, but then they'll leave a useless Lugia-EX there. But what about Darkrai? There are so many different opinions on this subject, so I want to hear your opinions on this and how it will affect our current format. If this set is rotated, what decks will be played? What will be the BDIF? Etc.

I think it will be Legendary Treasures on. What other reasons did they put this set in?

It was a way to release a bunch of Japanese promos that would have otherwise gone unreleased, a placeholder set and to increase the primary supply of certain cards. In the history of the Pokémon TCG, I am unsure as to whether any reprint set has become the cut off for the next format. They have returned cards to a format, but not been the new cornerstone of one.

Does anyone have an opinion or a credible source on which TCG sets should be roatated? No matter what, the rotation is going to be huge. Hypnotoxic Laser is going to be rotated, along with Colress and Colress Machine, which are three big trainer cards in the Plasma Storm format.
Flareon will be gone because Freeze is, no matter what, rotating out. Float Stone will be gone too... Now either Plasma Blast and up, LTR and up, or XY and up. I wish it would be LTR and on, but then they'll leave a useless Lugia-EX there. But what about Darkrai? There are so many different opinions on this subject, so I want to hear your opinions on this and how it will affect our current format. If this set is rotated, what decks will be played? What will be the BDIF? Etc.

The only quasi-official source we have is what was cited in the first post; it seems like the PTCGO will be phasing older boosters out of the online store, and the last the time they did that was for the previous rotation.

Opinions abound and thanks to past rotations, the only thing that is completely unprecedented is adding older sets back in. =P We've had one rotation where nothing was rotated and one emergency rotation where we had a huge cut (actually, I think those two were back-to-back, with the massive cut happening because they held off cutting anything the previous year).

Past experience also makes me leery of too much conjecture. ;)

Looks like I'll be retiring some of my classic decks soon enough.

Shame the ACE SPEC cards have to go as well - I enjoyed running a Rock Guard between my decks.

This is what my predictions will be:
BW-on format: self explanatory,
Extended: Next Destinies on
Standard: Legendary treasures on
promos for standard are BW91 and all XY, and I am uncertain on the extended

Looks like I'll be retiring some of my classic decks soon enough.

Shame the ACE SPEC cards have to go as well - I enjoyed running a Rock Guard between my decks.

Rock guard is indeed a great ace spec, but I will be most sad to see Team Plasma Crobat leave.
Definitely my fave card.
Ah well, guess it is now Roaring Skies Jirachi (Boo ya. only shaymin EXes will survive, and they wont last too long)

The Lugia will probably just be put out of commission altogether, and they will keep LTR
that is how I see it

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what, after this weekend and facing nothing but Seismitoad/Shaymin online, I'm okay with losing KSS.

I believe the new Ace Trainer card in the upcoming Ancient Origins does not bode well for its predecessor, N. I believe that if it's LT-on, either TPCi wants to see numbers in terms of new N(AT) vs. old N use, or they want to keep some BW series reprints in rotation as long as possible, despite the fact that if N stays in due to LT-on, if only as a promo, that would defeat the purpose of AT, and people might prefer N instead, or at least until N finally exits the format in the 2016-17 Play! pokemon season, assuming LT-On...

^ I predict that XY-On is the more reasonable prediction, given the Ace Trainer from Ancient Origins...

I guess I'll go on in a bit more detail now.

First the only option that I believe is "off the table" is regaining lost sets. That should go without saying but then again, Pokémon is kind of crazy that way.

Expanded will almost certainly remain BW-On; making it a simple staggered rotation largely defeats the purpose. Could I be wrong? Absolutely... but Japan was still having the occasional "DP-On" format tournament as recently as last year.

Standard has many options; I believe the most likely is XY-On. It would cut five sets, with is not only not unprecedented, but hardly a rare amount (three, four and five set rotations are the norm with more or less being the outliers). Anything past XY-On seems unlikely because it seems like a bit of a deep bite and doesn't seem all that "neat", but again it isn't unprecedented (and losing Yveltal-EX, Muscle Band and a few others cards would really shake things up).

LTR-On
is actually a bit unusual because rarely is the reprint set the cutoff point... in fact I don't think it ever has been but I just remembered some stuff so I'll need to be faster than that. Concerns that it would leave some "dead" cards in the format are relevant but hardly conclusive; besides potential promos to add in "missing" cards we have had dead cards in the format before due to similar rotation issues.

It is possible the Plasma sets could be broken up, but that just seems unlikely; all the issues with an LTR-On or post XY-On break with none of the strengths. Well, I suppose a few issues change: instead of rotating sets a bit early it keeps a few a bit late. PLS-On would cut some key cards while keeping others, so I actually see this as tied with LTR-On as the second most likely, with XY-On far, far ahead.

Keeping things as BCR-On is possible; I think we've only ever had a non-rotation once so it is quite, quite unlikely as well. I think Expanded also makes it less likely; Expanded exists to take the sting out of rotation (and cards that sometimes came out in different sets in Japan).

and yet they almost always cycle out 4 sets
that will be bcr and the plasma sets

Actually no, they don't: its been as low as "none" and I believe as high as cutting seven, though both were unusual circumstances. It varies pretty freely between three, four and five the rest of the time.

I think the format will most likely be XY-on just from experience - they didn't keep CoL in when it would have been pretty acceptable to, albeit awkward. I think the same situation is happening here; we're at a rotation that ends an era, being the BW era. XY-on includes the Trainer kits, so all the "bare minimum" cards like Potion and Poké Ball remain in format too. It'd also be much neater in general to have a Standard format of XY-on and an Expanded of BW-on to be honest.

I think that the LTC ban makes XY-on even more likely. The more noxious elements of 'toad rotate, the one that didn't is banned, all without eliminating the admittedly versatile 'toad itself.

Back