P!P/Rules XY-On Rotation Confirmed for 2016 Season

Think everyone saw this coming!

Good to see they are not touching expanded, hopefully they dont just tack it on to Top Cut and it gets its own tournaments or something. Would also be cool if it gets a points-palace type system rather than a ban list/rotation in the future when the number of sets & cards becomes larger.

EDIT: Everyone but @Doomdesirer :p

Last edited:
I am excited to jump into the next format! I never did like being N'd to 1... I will miss lots of cards like Float Stone, Zubat PLS, Jirachi EX, Colress and Mew EX. Bye bye LaserBank! However, the format is shifting towards more Stage 2s and creative decks. Only thing I am questioning is if I like Shauna or Prof Birch more. Hmm...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
My poison deck is ruined! I lose crobat pls (the good one all you nonbelivers) garbotoxin, virbank hypnotoxic, S.E.retrieval, float stone, Kilnklang from a different deck, jirachi EX, and keldeo EX in a different deck... I will proceed to cry my eyes out and change my underwear as I may have made a mess in them.

Who didn't see this coming?
\

I didn't see this coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of the card set and not the block, it should be KSS-on, not XY-on. They already have a precedent of referring to the card set, such as NXD-on and BCR-on. This kind of urks me. Either call it KSS-on, or rotate KSS and call it XY-on. Even the official standard legal set list shows the Kalos Starter Sets pre-dating XY.

Splitting hairs here, but it still bugs me.

Last edited:
I am glad to see this is how it worked out (minus that stupid crushing hammer). I already switched to XY-onward format a couple months ago, so I'm ready! I won't miss all the hackneyed decks I am always seeing (though there are still plenty of them). I've always felt mixing Team Plasma cards with Team Flare cards is in poor taste.

Losing Computer Search and N makes me cry. Those cards actually helped balance the game out. Now, I think the game is gonna be even more luck based. Who draws better wins! Fun right? Not exactly. PC Search helped my get out of a jam. And no stop saying my list sucks. Teammates can't replace PC Search because it's a Supporter which means you can use it and use like Shauna, Lysandre, Xerosic, etc in the same turn. Cheap way to "balance" (fail) it out.

N also punished my opponent (YES!:D) when I couldn't draw for crap and took the first prize or 2 prizes. Ace Trainer looks to replace it but we need a card with the exact text N has. Your opponent always draws 3. Wow. I love N'ing people to 1 or 2. Nope! Not in the new format.

What I'm trying to say is, PREPARE FOR MORE LUCK BASED GAMES! THIS IS BECOMING YUGIOH NOW! WOo hoo!

What I'm trying to say is, PREPARE FOR MORE LUCK BASED GAMES! THIS IS BECOMING YUGIOH NOW! WOo hoo!
Um, no. Not in the slightest. This game is FAR more balanced now.

So much for the theory that LT would get a little more life.

I don't see why people thought they would keep LT when Lugia would be a dead card, seeing as Plasma energy would be rotated. Silliness.

Overall really loving this rotation, format is going to be interesting.

On the image of the sets in rotation for next year, what are the Bisharp, Wigglytuff, and other two (Can't tell what they are) trainer kits on the second bottom line?

So many of my personally dreaded cards are going away: Garbodor, Keldeo (and Float Stone for that matter), Blastoise, Mewtwo (although it kinda lives on), Darkrai, Hypnotoxic Laser, Virbank, Donphan, Lugia ...

N is a very exciting loss too. Mulligans actually matter again? I can't be punished with an N-to-1 just for having a better round? You mean I can actually safely think several turns ahead with my hand? Yes please!
I know Ace Trainer is kind of a pseudo-N, but drawing 3 is not even close to being as bad as N's 1, and it also can't be played turn 1, nor can it be played any turn that prizes are tied.

I will of course miss some cards, like most of the Ace Specs, and some rouge decks I enjoyed running like Scizor. I'll also miss the Outragers and Fliptini.

But overall, I have more of a "Good riddance!" attitude than a sad one.

Glad to see stale cards go. And I'm REALLY glad that people can stop trying to justify that it wouldn't be XY-on. Like really, Mewtwo EX still in format when the new Lugia EX is an exact replacement? 100% fantasy. Sucks to see Suicune go, as I teched that in a lot of my decks.And I'm a bit more sad about Colress leaving than N, because that made match-ups against Mega Ray a bit easier, plus Colress is a pimp.

N is a very exciting loss too. Mulligans actually matter again? I can't be punished with an N-to-1 just for having a better round? You mean I can actually safely think several turns ahead with my hand? Yes please!
I know Ace Trainer is kind of a pseudo-N, but drawing 3 is not even close to being as bad as N's 1, and it also can't be played turn 1, nor can it be played any turn that prizes are tied.

No N also means players have to be a bit more careful late game in regards to decking out. N can save a player from decking out, shuffling cards back into the deck to buy enough turns that decking out won't be a factor. Now the lowest you can shuffle draw is 4 off a Birch tails or 5 with Shauna.

794121.jpg

"Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more"
-Kansas

RIP in peace sweet prince.

Mewtwo EX has been legal to play since HGSS-on. This card went from game breaking too never played.

It's official my only 2 decks are no longer playable with this rotation, oh well at least I can use at the leagues.

On the image of the sets in rotation for next year, what are the Bisharp, Wigglytuff, and other two (Can't tell what they are) trainer kits on the second bottom line?

I don't understand your question, if you mean the icons: Sylveon, Haxorus, Latios, Latias.
Above that are the McDonalds promos.

Ahh... Of all the cards rotating, it's wonderful to see the Lasers go, as well as N. Basically, this will mean that a) People will actually have to use "Pokemon" to inflict status problems, and b) People can actually learn how to maintain their actual hand turns ahead with less concern that opponents will maintain their hands for them. Of course, if Red Card/Ace Trainer become popular, point b will weaken. But fortunately, the benefits of using those cards with their restrictions on their users are quite questionable right now...

Anyways, I think with those two gone alone, you have a metagame that is much less luck based than it is now. Having lasers basically made your chances of opponents attacking a gamble no matter what Pokemon you had, and having your hand repeatedly mixed up all the time felt like you lack the ability to control your own destiny and risks in the game. Skills in choosing Pokemon to deal the status, and seeing into the future in your hand become true responsibilities for the players!

So many good cards rotating: Keldeo, Virgen, Laserbank, darkrai, colress, N... It's going to be interesting to see what sort of decks end up being the best next format!

Losing Computer Search and N makes me cry. Those cards actually helped balance the game out. Now, I think the game is gonna be even more luck based. Who draws better wins! Fun right? Not exactly. PC Search helped my get out of a jam. And no stop saying my list sucks. Teammates can't replace PC Search because it's a Supporter which means you can use it and use like Shauna, Lysandre, Xerosic, etc in the same turn. Cheap way to "balance" (fail) it out.

N also punished my opponent (YES!:D) when I couldn't draw for crap and took the first prize or 2 prizes. Ace Trainer looks to replace it but we need a card with the exact text N has. Your opponent always draws 3. Wow. I love N'ing people to 1 or 2. Nope! Not in the new format.

Disgaree.

ACE-SPECs made the game more luck-based. Any powerful card which can only be a one-of will have this effect, since it requires more luck to find and not to be prized.

N makes planning in the early stages of the game pretty much unlikely. There is virtually no point planning for several turns based on your hand because it is changing all the time. Being able to plan adds more skill, more decision-making. And "Ace Trainer" means we still have a card that helps us come from behind.

Disgaree.

ACE-SPECs made the game more luck-based. Any powerful card which can only be a one-of will have this effect, since it requires more luck to find and not to be prized.

N makes planning in the early stages of the game pretty much unlikely. There is virtually no point planning for several turns based on your hand because it is changing all the time. Being able to plan adds more skill, more decision-making. And "Ace Trainer" means we still have a card that helps us come from behind.

I wonder if prize baiting will become popular. Make your opponent take the first prize (ideally a non-EX for the 7 prize game) then Ace Trainer them.

Back