• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format XY-On Primal Kyogre (Primal Kyogre EX / Manectric EX)

surfingpikachu98

Aspiring Trainer
Hello,

This is my first post so forgive me if I make mistakes.

I am wanting to get back into the game after a short hiatus and am wishing to get some input on a deck I've been testing on PTCGO, am hoping to bring to league and ultimately play next year. I am building the deck XY-on because I have to buy a majority of the cards still and want to have a deck that can be played next year.

Here is my list:

Pokemon: 10
  • 3 Kyogre EX
  • 3 Primal Kyogre EX
  • 2 Manectric EX
  • 1 Quilfish
  • 1 Articuno (ROS 17/108)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 39
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Shauna
  • 1 Professor Birch Observations
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Dive Ball
  • 3 Kyogre Spirit link
  • 3 Professor's Letter
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 1 Energy Retrieval
  • 2 Mega Turbo
  • 3 Switch
  • 2 Acro Bike
  • 4 Trainer's Mail
  • 3 Rough Seas
Energy: 10
  • 8 Water Energy
  • 2 Lightning Energy
Strategy:

The goal of this deck is to set up Primal Kyogre and consistently do 150 and 30 to benched EX's. This is slightly more challenging than the standard (current) list because Keldeo EX and Float Stone can't be used as a free retreating pivot. 2 Manectric EX are in the list because they are good lead attackers and can finish off 170 hp EX's after a Tidal Storm. They also have good synergy with rough seas. Their inclusion also greatly improves the Rayman matchup (especially if they don't play Altaria ROS 74/108) as it can hit for weakness fairly quickly. Quilfish is a nice lead because it can give you room to set up a Primal Kyogre and if it gets hit by a 170 hp EX, it sets up Primal Kyogre by allowing it to be KO'd in response. The Articuno is also nice for setting up with it's chilling sigh attack; however, I put it in here because if a Primal Kyogre goes down after hitting an EX with a Tidal Strom, Articuno can come into the active position (with 2 energy gained from Kyogre's attack) to go ahead and take 3 prizes thanks to the Delta Plus ancient trait. I run no Shaymin EX because I can't get my hands on one atm and play 2 Professor Birch's Observations and 2 acre bike to help cover for this issue.

The supporter line is fairly standard with the exception of the second lysandre and the 2 already explained Birch. I feel the second lysandre is necessary in this deck because you really need to bring up a benched EX after a tidal storm to take quick and game breaking knock outs. The trainers are also fairly straightforward for this type of deck. I run 3 switch because without Keldeo you need them to stream Tidal Storms.

Questions:
Should I run 2 Lightening energy to attack with Mantric EX's second attack? Should I drop something for a 4th VS Seeker? Should I run more switch or add an escape rope? Should I play 2 Mega Turbo and 2 Energy Retrieval or should I drop it to 2 Mega Turbo and 1 Energy Retrieval (as they do similar things)? Should I play a split of Dive Ball and Ultra Ball even though I run Manectric EX?

Thank you so much for any input and help because it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
yea I would run 2 Lighting Energy for attach with Manectric EX's second attack? 3 Switch is fine I would run at lest 1-2 Dive Ball

have u tried Trainer's Mail in the deck yet?
Interesting, with 39 trainers I could definitely see it working. If I ran trainers mail I'd likely make these changes:
-1 energy retrieval
-1 water
-1 Archie's
-1 Birch's

+4 Trainer's Mail

That'd definitely make up for the lack in Shaymin EX and also make this deck a lot faster. Seems like a great idea!!!

Which quilfish? Once I know that I can give some input, as it seems fairly solid with the aforementioned trainers, but i want to know the quilfish and see what role it plays

Which quilfish? Once I know that I can give some input, as it seems fairly solid with the aforementioned trainers, but i want to know the quilfish and see what role it plays
Quilfish (Flashfire 21). When hit by an opponent's attack it allows you to put 2 damage counters on the attacking Pokemon (the ability is called Counterattack Quills). I like it because it gives me something to set up behind and if an EX attacks it, the attacker takes 2 damage counters and then I can retaliate with a Tidal Storm for 150 to KO a 170 Hp EX. Thank you for posting as well because you reminded me to update the OP with the changes suggested earlier. Thanks again for all help!

Back