• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard XY-On: Noivern / Absol / Malamar-EX

Thunder Crown

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 15
  • 4 Noibat
  • 4 Noivern (Furious Fists)
  • 3 Yveltal (XY)
  • 2 Absol (Roaring Skies)
  • 2 Malamar-EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 31
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Professor Birch’s Observations
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Teammates
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Acro Bike
  • 3 Trainers’ Mail
  • 1 Battle Compressor
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 1 Switch
  • 1 Professor’s Letter
  • 2 Team Magma’s Secret Base
Energy: 14
  • 9 Darkness Energy
  • 1 Psychic Energy
  • 4 Double Dragon Energy
Strategy:

Yveltal accelerates energy and is a good starter/sacrifice. Battle Compressor is versatile, can dump energy for Yveltal, supporters for VS Seeker, or itself if it's not needed.
Noivern can spread damage for a Darkness Energy and a Double Dragon Energy, and has a 50% chance of not getting damaged. Malamar-EX can sleep the active for a 25% of hitting Noivern, and once loaded with energy can hit for massive damage.

Absol, along with AZ/VS Seeker can move around some damage counters to finish some Pokemon off. Professor's Letter for energy search, Trainers' Mail/Acro Bike add speed, and Ultra Ball can discard Dark Energy as well as unneeded cards as well as search for our key Pokemon.

Team Magma's Secret Base is a nice gimmick to get damage counters on your opponent's pokemon, considering most of the meta can one shot our Pokemon anyway.

The Psychic energy is searchable by letter and is for Aegislash-EX. 4 Double Dragon Energy is obvious, and the Darkness Energy are for Attaching to Malamar-EX and Yveltal.
Problems:

Bad starts are probably the worst enemy of this deck. If you can set up a situation with a Yveltal in the Active and two loaded Noiverns along with a Malamar-EX, and Absol with AZ/VS Seeker along with Darkness Energy in your hand, you're pretty much set. This deck is similar to Cincinno/Hypno decks before.

Solutions:

Tweaking of Pokemon lines? Maybe 4-4 Noivern or more Malamar-EX and less Yveltal?
Dropping Team Magma's Secret Base for another Stadium?
More Trainers' Mail/Acro Bike?
More Letter/Energy for Malamar?

Suggestions are always welcome. Sorry if this looks ugly

Last edited:
Interesting. Don't worry the list looks fine :D

A single Wally is not helpful; I'd take it out as the only pokemon that evolve are Noibat, and I'd imagine in most cases, it is not a big deal to get Noivern out turn 1 as opposed to 2. Xerosic is a great card that can be teched in as a replacement, especially since Seismitoad EX is expected to still be popular in this upcoming format. Because you want Noivern to be active most of the time, I agree that a 4-4 line of it would be better than 3-3. Also add 3rd Yveltal, 3rd Absol, and 2nd Malamar EX, for consistency and so there's backup if 1 or 2 are prized. Muscle band is not huge, as it only makes the active take more damage, and crushing/enhanced hammers are often not useful unless the deck is build around disruption (doesn't appear to be in this case). However, the single enhanced hammer can stay if you really want to because a supporter can draw it and then you can play it immediately; the crushing hammer isn't as good in that case because its only a 50% chance that it will work. With the double dragon energies being essential, I'd recommend more acro bike over trainers mail, though both are good and in my opinion, it is more preference based on which is better. The letter and energy count looks fine. I think you can get away with using only 1 battle compressor, but again that's preference.

Basically:

-1 Wally
-3 Crushing hammers
-1 Enhanced Hammer (up to you)
-3 Trainer's Mail (if replacing with Acro bike)
-2 Muscle Band
-1 Battle Compressor (up to you)
-11 Cards
+1 Xerosic
+1 Noibat
+1 Noivern
+1 Yveltal
+1 Malamar EX
+1 Absol
+3 Acro bike (if replacing Trainer's Mail)
+2 Super Scoop up (consistency and for more absol use, and to scoop up the active if you get a bad starting pokémon)
+11 Cards

If you have any questions let me know!

Well after some testing and reading your advice I made a new version of the deck without some of the stuff you mentioned. I buffed up the energy line as I felt I needed more energy for Malamar-EX. I also dropped the scoops, because Absol isn't that consistent. Misc stuff include a Compressor, muscle bands, wally, and hammers. Thank you for your feedback!

I'm not a fan of Shaymin-EX with Noivern. Echolocation can buy valuable turns and prevent prizes but a KO on Shaymin-EX can undo this making getting to 6 prizes a whole lot easier for your opponent. SSU and AZ help with this, but a Shaymin-EX KO undermines the whole deck.

I would switch a Dark Energy for a 2nd Psyhcic Energy because without the Psychic, Noivern requires DDE and Psychic can still trigger Malamar-EX's ability (and works with its attack). You could also run some Energy Switch.

Did you still decide to go with the Absol? I personally don't like it in the deck since, as you mentioned it doesnt seem that consistant plus you need scoops or az to make it useful. Sounds like a lot of work and luck is needed for it to be effective, all for only moving 20 damage. Seems like you will be better off dropping those and going with energy to feed Malamar or some better support cards. I would recommend maybe 2 level ball (lmk what you think) but it would allow you to search for that noibat a lot easier worst case its a card for you to toss midgame with ultraball.

I suggest you read Absol ROS again, as it moves 30 damage counters around, which can take that crucial prize without having to attack with Noivern. AZ + 4 seeker means if you need to reuse it, you can. Level Ball doesn't search for anything except for Noibats, so I'm not sure if that will be particularly useful.

To help improve your bench setup speed, why not utilize a few Level Balls?

Should your opponent play Moutain Ring, Noivern's bench damage is completely nullified; you may need counter Stadiums (only 2 TM Secret Base may not be enough) .

Energy Switch would be useful in moving Basic energy you attached to Malamar EX (to impose Sleep condition oto the Defending Pokemon) to another Pokemon.

Following are some suggested changes for your consideration:

-1 VS Seeker
-2 Acro Bike
-2 Trainer's Mail

+2 Level Ball
+1 Training Center (increases survivability of your Noivern) or Shadow Circle (eliminates Pokemon Weakness when D energy is attached) or TM Secret Base
+2 Energy Switch

Lastly, also consider -1 D energy for another P energy incase you need to manually power-up a Noivern with just Basic energy.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Back