• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard XY-On (M Gallade EX / Shedninja)

Jeremy1026

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 10
  • 2 Nincada
  • 2 Shedninja
  • 3 Gallade EX
  • 3 M Gallade EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 33
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Repeat Ball
  • 4 Mega Turbo
  • 4 Acro Bike
  • 2 Shauna
  • 2 Dimensional Valley
  • 2 Professor’s Letter
  • 2 Gallade Spirit Link
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Super Scoop Up
  • 2 Wally
  • 2 Battle Compressor
Energy: 14
  • 4 Mystery Energy
  • 2 Rainbow Energy
  • 2 Grass Energy
  • 6 Psychic Energy
Deck Total: 57

Strategy:

So, I am looking for a deck that won't need to have cards replaced due to the rotation after worlds, so no BW cards are making it in. Which is why you'll see no N, no Colress, no Skyla.

Basic Strategy:
The goal of this deck is to get Shedninja to put damage on each of my opponents bench, and allow M Gallade to do 110 + 30 to each bench. Ideally by T4.

Pokemon Line:
Couldn't get much simpler. Shedninja to put damage on all of my opponents pokemon, M Gallade to deal damage to the entire field.

Trainer line:
Sycamore to dump a dead hand. Ultra and repeat balls to get Gallade/M Gallades into play. Mega Turbo to get energy onto M Gallade. Arco Bike, item draw support. Shauna, sometimes you just don't want to discard, but need new cards. Dimensional Valley, 2 [P] energy to attack instead of 3. Professor's Letter, to get a grass energy for Shedninja. Galled Spirit Link, don't waste a turn if possible. Lysandre, finishing blow on big EXs on the bench, potential for double KOs. Super Scoop Up, in case one of my M Gallades takes on too much damage, try to save the prizes. Wally, another way to get Shedninja into play without having to use an Ultra ball. Battle Compressor, get energy into discard for Mega Turbo.

Energy Line:
Mystery Energy, free retreat for the (M)Gallade. Rainbow, because Shedninja needs [G], and (M)Gallade need [P], this will give me 2 extra options for Shedninja without being useless to (M)Gallade. Basic energies, to get via Professor's Letter and Mega Turbo.

Since I currently have 3 extra spots in my deck, what else should I add to this deck?

4 Mystery energy is a little heavy, especially since shedinja can't use them for helpless scream or something, and the 14 energy total is a little too much since Gallade will be using 2 and shedinja will be using 1. I recommend increasing your supporter line to 4 sycamore and 3 shauna, mainly to make sure you get them when you need them. VS Seeker is definitely needed in the deck; at least 2 of them. You also may want to consider either adding Robo Substitute or Beaultifly (Roaring Skies), as Shedinja's attack that puts 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's pokemon also causes you to switch, and that may not be ideal in some cases. I would also run more Dimension Valley, as it both reduces your energy cost and counters opponent's stadiums, and most people run 3-4 stadiums. I'm a little lost as to why Battle compressor is there. the 3 repeat balls also might be a little too much; 4 ultra ball 2 repeat ball would be better.

If I missed something or something I said is unclear let me know!

You should look at the new celebi in next set it will be out befor rotation and it's ability is good also immune to bat damage

Speaking of bats, why not just use bats instead of shedinja? Golbat for 1 colorless energy does essentially the same thing as shedinja (-the switch back), without the need of a grass energy. + Bats are just strong in general.

Instead of Shedinja you could also use Spinda PRC, which has the same attack for also one energy, but is a basic.

From my experience, you most likely will encounter several issues with your current build:

• IMO, you will mulligan quite a bit given there are only 5 Basic Poké in your list. Since there is no "N-like" card to disrupt your opponent's hand early game, you will most likely give your opponent extra cards at the beginning of the game and probably placing you at a disadvantage.
  • You are relying upon a Item-engine to facilitate your fast setup. Should your opponent Item-lock you early game, you will be at a disadvantage.
  • I run a Gallade deck too and, IMO, 2 Dimension Valley are not enough. Most competitive decks I've examined are running a minimum of 3. Should your opponent manage to put into play a Mountain Ring Stadium and it Sticks, your bench damage has been completely nullified at that point. Just as important, there will be times when you need to have a DV Stadium in order to attack with Gallade/M Gallade that just has a minimum amount of energy atttached.
  • Also consider the need to counter Rough Seas. This Stadium is EXTREMELY helpful in healing L and W Poké which again has the potential to completely nullify Unwavering Blade's splash damage.
  • IMO, the Rainbow energy is really not needed. In addition to damaging your own Poké, it will also be a target for E Hammers and you can't retrieve it from your discard pile. eplacing these with Basic energy would better serve you,
  • The 2 SSUs require flipping IF you are not Item-locked and you still only have a 50% of success. Have you ever considered using Cassius?
  • Why no VS Seeker???
As mentioned above, I concur with those players regarding the use of the Bats as a much better alternative to setting up your M Gallades for several reasons:

• All Bat Poké have "significantly" higher HP than the Shedninja line Poké.
  • All Bats have Resistance which can be helpful in some matchups.
  • Golbat's Swoop atttack effectively spreads damage.
  • Both Golbat and Crobat have free retreat and you place damage counters onto an opponent Poké when you put that Bat into play.
  • Both Golbat and Crobat have a single C energy cost attack; so, there is no need to run multiple energy type (which in turn increases the deck's consistency).
Given the above comments, I'd suggest the following changes for your consideration:

-2 Nincada
-2 Shedninja

-1 Ultra Ball
-2 Repeat Ball
-1 Mega Turbo
-1 Acro Bike
-1 Wally

-2 Rainbow
-2 G

+4 Zubat
+3 Golbat
+2 Crobat

+1 AZ - useful in recovering either a wounded M Gallade / Gallade or to recycle your Bats
+1 Pokémon Fan Club - to help setup your bench, Item-locked or not
+2 Dimension Valley
+1 Sacred Ash - to help recover and recycle discarded Poké resources

For the remaining 3 slots, consider:

+1 Professor Sycamore
+2 VS Seeker

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Instead of Shedinja you could run a 2-2 or 3-3 of Forretress FLF to place 1 damage counter on all of your opponent's pokemon without attacking. Under the right conditions with Forretress, you could attack with Mega Gallade for 110 damage to the active and 30 to each benched pokemon on your second turn. I would also get rid of the grass and rainbow energies and wally for evosoda (to get Mega Gallade) and switch or DCE (if you have to start with Pineco/Forretress) and a third spirit link. Also you should run 3 or 4 Dimension Valleys and some VS Seekers. I would also run more draw cards, like Professor Birch's Observations or Roller Skates.

Back