• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard XY-On: Golurk / Flareon / Jolteon

SRreplet51

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 20
  • 4 Golurk (AOR)
  • 4 Golett (AOR)
  • 4 Eevee (AOR)
  • 2 Jolteon (AOR)
  • 2 Flareon (AOR)
  • 2 Shaymin EX (ROS #77)
  • 2 Landorus (FFI #58)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 29
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 1 Switch
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Professor Birch's Observations / Shauna
  • 1 Ace Trainer
  • 4 Dimension Valley
Energy: 11
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 7 Fighting Energy
Strategy:

So in this deck u are using Golurk double type ability combined with the Jolteon and flareon to hit four different types of weakness for KOs most the time. Dimension valley is definetely needed to reduce that heavy energy cost as pointed out. Also Golurk gets around hurting itself for twenty damage because it's both psychic and fighting and its resistant to fighting. PS: i didnt throw vaporeon in because i do not find anything in the meta currently weak to water and would rather use that slot for something else.

You'll find a full translation of ancient origins cards here:
http://www.pokebeach.com/tcg/bandit-ring

Last edited:
Golurk covers both F and P Weakness; Jolteon covers L Weakness; and Flareon covers R Weakness. What is the 5th Weakness covered you referenced?

Also, Golurk requires CCCC energy cost just to inflict 120 damage max before any extra cumulative damage from either Fighting Stadium, Muscle Band, Strong energy, etc. The damage-energy cost ratio does not seem to be a good investment, IMO. Secondly, running only Special energy makes the deck quite susceptible to Enhanced Hammers, Xerosic, Team Flare Grunt, etc. And you have no energy recovery capability (e.g., Bunnelby, PRC 121) in your current list.

And, you require a minimum of 2 turns to power-up your FIRST Golurk which would probably be 1HKOd in response to your KOing an opponent's Pokemon. Those next 2 turns needed to power-up your 2nd Golurk would be very costly; you could very well be playing from behind in prize count from that point on, especially if your opponent's Pokemon can take a 120 damage hit without being KOd.

Should any of your Special energy be prized, you are at an immediate disadvantage too, IMO.

Given your deck's current composition, running Dimension Valley would be more of an advantage than Silent Lab, IMO. One deck can not possibly counter "every" possible deck in the meta. so, accept the autoloss to Aegislash EX deck?

Further, as you noted, you have no energy attachment acceleration. Adding a few Landorus and changing your energy mix could be helpful.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
ok ya thanks soooo much and i forgot i didnt throw in vaporeon cause i didnt think he was neccesary and i think your right running dimension valley would be better and just except and autoloss against aegislash i think i will change the strong energys to fighting energys and throw in baby landorus i will update the decklist once ik wat to change up thanks soo much again

You should play Blacksmith. It solves both your problem with Aegislash and Energy acceleration. Two birds; one stone.

I had an idea similar to this, but I used Milotic FLF for energy acceleration. What I would do is Battle compressor away some energies then use milotic's ability to attach them to Golurk. Since Milotic forces your opponent to take a prize you could abuse Ace Trainer to slow them down while you finish setting up. If you want to go that route I would do:

-2 Landorus
-1 Level Ball
-3 Trainer's Mail
-1 Fighting

+2-2 Milotic
+3 Battle Compressor

I hope this helped.

It's a bit more viable with fire energies and blacksmith. It gives the option to play FUF Eevee. Although this deck will never be very quick and will always struggle with Rayquaza and Groudon unless you add Raichu lines etc which ruin your consistency.

I've been playing with Blacksmith and it's just too difficult to use Blacksmith when you need it. If you can somehow stream Golurk, this deck can deal good damage, even without hitting for weakness Golurk is 2HKOing almost everything. Maybe some Pokemon to wall behind would be nice? I just don't like how so much space has to be devoted to making the attack cost manageable that it limits the flexibility of the deck.

You should try to use a different draw engine. 4 sycamore 4 battle compressor 4 vs seeker 1 birch/sauna 2 blacksmith 1 lysandre. It really helps for standard fire decks.

It works really well in my vespiquen deck.

2-2 miltoic, 3 battle compressor and 2 black smith, you can pull of a turn 2 4 energy on golurk 1 to your bench befor even playing 1 energy down and hit for multiple type dmg the same turn. as for aegislash, why worry about it when you can just tech a silent lab, I really wouldn't worry about d-valley all that much.

Also Golurk gets around hurting itself for twenty damage because it's both psychic and fighting and its resistant to fighting.

Are you sure this is how it works? admittedly I don't think this has ever come up in a game before but I don't know if you apply weakness and resistance against your own attacks.

The ruling is correct. You're doing damage to yourself, so Weakness and Resistance applies unless otherwise stated.

That's very cool then. Another good reason for me to try out this deck.

I would loose the Landorus through, I don't think it's worth giving up a prize to get a single energy acceleration, what I would do instead is make the following changes:

-2 Landorus
-1 Ace trainer
-1 Trainers mail
-3 Fighting energy

+1 Hoopa EX
+1 Lugia EX
+1 Ultraball
+1 Professor Birch's observations
+3 Strong energy

Ok, so it may look strange, but bear with me and play test it a little, you are using Lugia as a back up attacker, but the idea is on turn one get Hoopa with an ultra ball then get both Shaymin and Lugia, you can stall with Lugia while you get Golurk set up, or you can just leave it on the bench to set up at a later date. Lugia I feel is a good attacker because you still have four basic fighting energy which means you can use him to OHKO Aegislash which is the undoing of Golurk. And in matches without an Aegislash threat you can power him up for just one DCE. So he is efficient.

Now a turn one double Shaymin + one supporter will make ANY deck go so much faster. I think it's a legitimate engine from the new set. And yes, it works better in EX focused decks, but Golurk is quite sluggish to get set up otherwise so you really want to make sure on turn one you get a Eevee, Golett & DCE or Strong energy down on Golett.

I think a 3/4 strong/fighting split is the way to go. Just because Aegislash it still a popular counter to a lot of decks, and with the draw power from double Shaymin you can reliably get out the three fighting energy you need to power up Golurk or the two for Lugia.

Overall I don't think energy acceleration is appropriate for Golurk, seeing as you can't evolve until the second turn there is no point in trying to rush three or four energy onto him on turn one, so lets look at getting consistent big draws. If you pull a turn one ultra ball - hoopa - shaymin + shaymin you will have accessed about a third of your entire deck on turn one. Now, this means you are very likely to get all your basics into play turn one with a near garunteed energy attach for your golett. Then on your second turn you will very likely have a golurk and the other energy you need to attack (You are likely to have gotten one DCE + almost garunteed one of either strong or fighting energy to go with it) because you will almost always have gotten a copy of your stadium out too. Or two DCE.

I have been using this strategy for my Giritina/vileplume deck which has the same problems, you need a minimum of two manual attaches to get your main attacker up and running, and you need an evolved pokemon on the bench and your stadium. Ideally you want Giri, Vileplume, GPF & a DCE or DDE to all hit the field turn one. That is a lot of set up, but it can be done consistently. So the fact you only need a stage 1 not stage 2 and only one DCE and you have 7 acceptable secondary energy types not just for like DDE means it should be even easier for you.

Back