• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format [XY-On] Beautifly / Dustox -- "Oh, You Run EX's? Beautiful!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaiScott95

TCG Fanboy
I'm a little late to the party on building a Pokémon deck this year, so I decided to start working on decklists for the XY-On rotation.

My first one is using the Beautifly from Roaring Skies. Grass has always been my favorite type in the Pokémon TCG, so I really got excited when I saw Giant Plant Forest. See, another thing I didn't like about the TCG is the fact EX Pokémon are everywhere. It's honestly quite annoying, so I thought Beautifly would be a nice choice for me to help deal with EX's.

Pokemon:
  • 4 Wurmple
  • 3 Silcoon
  • 3 Beautifly
  • 1 Cascoon
  • 1 AT Dustox
  • 2 Shaymin-EX
  • 1 Lugia-EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 33
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 3 Vs Seeker
  • 4 Muscle Band
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Professor Birch's Observation
  • 4 Trainer's Mail
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Pokémon Fan Club
  • 4 Giant Plant Forest
Energy: 12
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 8 Grass Energy

Giant Plant Forest – Trainer
Stadium

Each player’s [G] Pokemon can Evolve during the first turn and on the turn they were put into play.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can’t play this card.

The idea is to get Beautifly out quickly so that EX cards can't damage it, and keep attacking. The attack cost is [C][C][G] for 80 damage, 100 with Muscle Band. This will 2HKO any non-Mega EX you'll see. The attack also allows you to force the opponent to switch out, which can be useful for either throwing their non-EX Pokémon back on the bench, or in some cases, saving it for Dustox to KO for that Δ Plus bonus prize.

Lugia-EX is around for an additional attacker. Dustox can snipe benched Zubat, Joltik, Bronzor, among other low-HP basics you might see. Dustox is also around for finishing Beautifly's job sometimes, especially against a Mega-Evolved Pokémon.

One question I have is, are there any match-ups where Hard Charm would be helpful against the non-EX Pokémon in EX decks, or against non-EX decks in general? If so, where would I fit these in at?

I don't know how I feel about 4 birch. 1 or 2 is usually enough, because if you have bad luck with tails, then your better off using Shauna for a consistent 5 cards instead. Also, you will need options for if you can't get the giant plant forest on turn 1, like Wally or Rare candy (candy can be used on turn 2, and evolving into the stage 1 on turn 1 can keep you alive during the next turn)

-1 Ultra Ball (I think this deck needs more level balls, so you can probably take one of these away)
-3 Birch
-1 Trainers Mail (I think 3 is plenty)
-1 Muscle band (4 is too much. 3 is a nicer number to have)
-1 Grass Energy (11 energy is still a nice number to have. 10 energy is a minimum I would say for an energy count these days in a standard deck)

+ Level Ball
+2 Rare Candy
+3 Shauna
+1 Wally

I hope this helps

I'll test Shauna a bit (since I'll proxy this deck anyway), but assuming average flips, you get more cards out of 2 Birch than you would with 2 Shauna. That said, I'm iffy on switching to Shauna. But for the sake of removing more luck from my deck, I'll give Shauna a try.

I won't mind swapping an Ultra Ball for Level Ball, considering all the targets this deck has. So I'll see about doing that. Kinda iffy on the evolution cards though. I'd be more comfortable adding the Wally, and only 1 Rare Candy instead of 2. I'll test at both quantities, however, to see how things go.

Thanks for your input! :D

Depending on wether you can find space you could tech in the new ariados either 1-1 or 2-2 would up the damage output and make it easier to get snipes in with dustox, as you could do the extra few damage you would need (assuming both dustox and beautifly have muscle band) then you can use the poison to get from 170 to 180 which would be a knock out on any non EX pokemon for 3 prizes. That extra ten can make a difference, and it allows you to chip away at other things your opponent has in play once you have benched the main target in preparation for a dustox KO.

Maybe consider Evo Soda as a 1 or 2 of.

I'll definitely be testing Ariados. In theory, it could be a good idea. However, I need to figure out how often it'll actually be helpful. Thing with Dustox is, it's there for a tech. I don't expect to be able to abuse it every game, really. Even then, I expect it to die fast since it's not immune to damage from EX like Beautifly is.

I'll add Evo Soda to the test list alongside Wally and Rare Candy, since I'll be testing Evolution items anyway.

Cool best of luck, maybe ariosos won't work, but I was just trying to think of a way to get that extra 10 damage you need to TH-KO a 180hp EX. And as for Dustox's survivability, even if you only get one KO a game with it then it dies, then that is a 3 for 1 prize trade and you have already won over half your prizes. It's a serious advantage that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back