XY Competitive Team

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!
Hi guys, I'm trying to play competitively in the VG this year, and I thought now would be a great time to learn (having the TCG season be kinda boringggg right now).
Also, anyone have a cool name for this team?
*Assume all IVs are 31 unless otherwise stated

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
Ok this is the set that I need the most help in. Moves for Mawile run low, but Mega-Mawile's ability (and the fact that it walls dragons) is just too good. Pretty basic 252 atk, but I'm not sure if I should go 252 in HP or speed? Play Rough is a great Fairy move that can take out most things with a SD. If only you could Choice Band Megas....

Klefki (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Swagger
The most standard Klefki build out there. Although, I'm contemplating putting Swagger instead of Foul Play as I haven't found Foul Play of nay use. This is my defensive wall and it sets up the spikes. T Wave helps sets up more spikes and allows you to hide behind a sub. I'm in the process of figuring out where I should fit the Swagger in on the move-set, either Spikes (might keep as it's my only form of hazards), or Substiture.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Softboiled
- Aromatheropy
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
My special wall. Basic Blissey build again, all I needed was a special wall that could throw down some special conditions so I chose a Blissey. Blissey has always served me well so I thought I'd incorporate it in my XY team. Toxic is a great move to throw down on some bulky fairies or other Pokemon that I don't have much coverage in. Flamethrower is a great counter to Mawiles and Klefkis (I think? it OHKO's Flamethrower).

Alakazam (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
Between Dazzling Gleam and Shadow Ball, you hit everything for at least neutral damage. Psyshock gives STAB and a way to muscle past stuff like Blissey while Focus Blast(changed to Energy Ball) hits most Steel and Rock types harder than Shadow ball. Alakazam can also tank a special hit or two, but not many of Super effective physical hits (desc. taken from iSharingan). Doesn't take life orb damage, but still gets the boost. Overall one of my favorite pokes on this team as a whole. I absolutely love him. Thanks iSharingan

Talonflame (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz

I'd consider this a little out of the ordinary set wise for Talonflame. It's more of a defensive set, but the fact that you get +1 on Roost is amazing. Plus during the turn you no longer get the super effective on electric moves. Brave Bird and Flare Blitx are pretty standard and Protect is good for letting damage rack up (with poison) and heal yourself with leftovers.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Toxic

I was tired of using rapid spinners with the amount of Aegislashes out there due to the fact that nothing happens. So I've been using Crobat to clean up the slack. Toxic is good as Crobat outspeeds a LOT (DD Dragonite). Brave Bird ain't bad either just as a basic attacking move. Roost is there for rocks damage and recoil. Toxic is great, since most people don't really use Crobat so they expect it to be more of an aggressive set instead of a "walling" set. Brave Bird is the move I went for, but I don't know if there are any Poison type moves that could replace it, as I think that would be best to counter more types and crush fairies.

I'm doing this late at night and on the fly, so take all recomendations with a grain of salt. I have seen plenty of strategies thus far and most of the ones I'm about to recomend have worked at least to some extent I'll use your sets and make changes in bold.

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Play Rough is practically the ultimate STAB for Mawhile. With a Swords Dance, it can even power through most resistances. Mawile's speed is pure garbage, so forget about that and focus (like you have) in Mawile's survivability. Between the 3 attacks listed, you can still deal with most things you should come across without needing redundant Dark type coverage.

Klefki (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Spikes/Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Foul Play

A very nice set, but never underestimate Confusion. Spikes are nice, but a chance to make a foe hurt itself (as well as giving a boost to Foul Play) is worth considering. It also encourages switches, so you can spread paralysis. Swagger also gives an answer to Electric types that might try to exploit their new paralysis immunity (Electric is not resisted by Fairy/Steel and I have used it personally to ruin several Mawile and Klefki sets). Bold nature is to throw off other Klefki's (or another pokemon's) Foul Plays even more if you switch yours in on them (not common, I know, but every bit helps - even with a resistance). It's not like you're using the Attack anyway. Using Swagger Klefki, you can often hax opposing klefki (with help from Foul Play) into submission before spikes fully set up. If using Swagger Klefki, I recommend shifting the SDef EVS to Speed so you can beat opposing Klefki's Spikes with Swagger (not that I fully expect you to use the alternative move).

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Softboiled
- Protect
- Toxic
- Flamethrower

Solid set here. I haven't used Blissey much, even in BW OU, so I'm in no position to give too much advice on the topic of this pink blob.

Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse

Hydreigon is nice, but beware. It can not take Fairy moves of any kind, and is easily discarded by numerous pokemon (I have done so easily with Protean Greninja's U-Turn and both Alakazam and Gengar using Dazzling Gleam, not to mention the common Aegislash [or the rarer but equally formidable Eviolite Doublade]). A faster dragon may be advised. I would recommend Garchomp since it is both fast already, but also gets a Mega too. Mawhile is nice as a mega, but if you replace it with Protean Greninja (counters tons of stuff, especially Ice, Fire, and Ground), you can run Garchomp and not really lose anything. Just an option though.

Talonflame (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz

Very solid. I can see this working quite sell late game, but beware that there are things that can wall this still (Empoleon would be #1 except it's not yet available pre-bank)

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Toxic

Again. Excelent set. You miss out on countering Fairies as solidly, But you have other potential counters for them (and the benefit that the foe expects a Fairy-Buster set). I do see this potentially working with Hydreigon to force a switch from true Fairies (no hope against Alakazam and co., though) to force a switch, freeing a Defog turn. I have used Crobat effectively in BW OU despite it's then-UU status, so I know how effective it can be. Just watch out for Steel here. On the flip-side, this is a great lure to dispose of the foe's steel type once the foe discerns you set.

Overall:

You cover most common attack types, but you don't really account for Electric. I'm not saying it will be overly common, but just beware. I cant think of any one Electric user that could sweep you at the moment, but I've found it's best not to underestimate the possibility (Electric is probably no big deal, and as such I may be overcompensating for analyzing while tired).

Good luck in your matches (and I might steal a set or two, if you don't mind :p)

I would like to add that I am totally fine with replacing a Pkemon or two as I have not yet built this team in real life, I would like to keep Klefki, and Tallnflame on the team however

Is there a good counter for the rotom mow? I'm assuming priority BB would take it out, but not sure.

Cut Rotom is not very solid in its defensive typing, as Grass is weak to common attack types like Fire, Ice, and Flying (the last is mitigated by Rotom-C Electric typing, making Flying a neutral hit). Rotom-W does much better since it's only real weakness is to Grass and it can usually tank those hits fairly well (not to mention having a full resistance to the 3 types mentioned earlier). It's neutral to Electric and has good bulk, so there's no real threat there. Just note that Rotom usually relies on Hidden Power for coverage.

Regarding MegaChomp and Greninja, here is my Greninja set (that is most annoying in addition to being effective) as well as a solid set for Megachomp I've seen used.

Garchomp @ Garchompite - Dragon/Ground
Trait: Rough Skin (hidden ability) Sand Force (Mega)
Nature: Adamant (+Att/-SpA)
EV: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
• Earthquake
• Dragon Claw
• Stone edge
• Swords Dance

This essentially focuses on hitting as hard and as fast as possible. Fairies sometimes cause a little trouble, but nothing a SD cant handle in most cases (if you properly predict the switch).

Greninja (M) @ Flying Gem/No Item
Trait: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Acrobatics
- Waterfall
- U-turn

First off, I know Flying gems are insanely rare, if not impossible in gen 6 thus far, but even without an item this set is highly effective. This is my personal set and has annoyed countless opponents while averaging 2-3 KOs per game. It can outspeed and OHKO megas like Aerodactyl and Gengar on the turn they mega evolve (since speed doesn't update for megas until the next turn) as well as OHKOing current common threats like Blaziken (it outspeeds even +1 Adamant Boostiken), MegaZard Y, Conkeldurr, and [insert most fighting, grass, fire, dark, rock, ground, and psychic types here]. MegaZard X is also 2HKOd, and is usually Flinched by Waterfall. Even the ever-annoying Poison Heal Gilscor falls by the 4th turn to this set as it takes too much damage from Waterfall to set up a Substitute on the same turn, thus is usually KOed by the 4th turn (taking Protect into account). Spikes are actually very easy to set up as the two primary attacks (Acrobatics and Waterfall) lure Electric type attackers, giving a free turn to set spikes while they hit an immunity. U-turn, like on all the common Greninja sets, allows you to scout the opponent and OHKOs opposing greninja thanks to the physical investment of this set (since it has the absolute max speed, you only lose if the other Greninja speed-ties you and happens to win said speed-tie). Just to show the power of Acobatics, Greninja outspeeds MegaLucario and does over 60% with Acrobatics while taking roughly the same from Lucario's max power Close Combat, thus surviving long enough for the 2HKO in return.

thanks for the input iSharingan, I appreciate the help, but I'd prefer to stick with MegaMawile as it does fit my play-style a little bit more (I'm bad at predicting lol). What dragon (or a coverage special attacker) would you recommend instead of Hydreigon?

since you're not particularly weak to Bug, Ghost, or Dark, I'd probably suggest Life Orb Magic Guard Alakazam. It outspeeds most things and has excellent coverage. With Magic Guard, you will still get the power boost from the Life Orb, but you will not receive the 10% recoil per attack. Here is the set I use:

Alakazam (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Between Dazzling Gleam and Shadow Ball, you hit everything for at least neutral damage. Psyshock gives STAB and a way to muscle past stuff like Blissey while Focus Blast hits most Steel and Rock types harder than Shadow ball. Alakazam can also tank a special hit or two, but beware of Super effective physical hits. Shadow sneak doesn't usually KO unless coming off higher than a 120 base attack stat, but be careful nonetheless.

Thank You iSharingan, you've helped me improve this team soooo much. I've been using your Alakazam set and I absolutely love it. Still minorly tweaking, but I've found my perfect, favorite team. Thank you :D

Also open to other suggestions fyi

Back