Writing Xous' Fictional Tale: Updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xous

Disappear to a place beyond seeing...
Well, I do write stories, so... It's about time I share one with you all.

This one is new (I'm not going to post my old ones, since they may not be all that good), but it's the "revival" of a story I lost when my old computer was wiped out. This is the story of Xous (pronounced Z-ow-ss, rhymes with house), my favorite original character. So, here it is! I'll be updating the story with drawings (most likely sketches) of some of the things in the story, so everyone's able to see what things look like. :3

Remember, this is a small taste of the story, and not exactly a chapter, and I'm going to gauge people's reactions and then decide if I'm going to continue or not.
She sat across the verdant field, her long, dark hair gently flowing in unison with the breeze. The soft sunlight soaked the field in radiant splendor, each ray gently caressed by the pristine blades of grass. She sat under an ancient oak, its protective branches shading her pure skin from the sun’s rays – however, a few fugitive rays pierced the spaces between the lush leaves of the tree and spotted her skin. He stood on another end of the field, looking at the perfect beauty that sat only a short distance from him, and he silently reflected on how she may enjoy his company, or perhaps… It may be best to leave her be? Nevertheless, he simply could not divert his gaze – however, her gaze was directed elsewhere, to a massive lake in the center of the field. Its crystalline waters shone magnificently in the sunlight, unmoving save for the gentle breeze’s playful tugs at the surface. He’d made up his mind. He was going to ask if she’d mind his company. As he walked towards her, her gaze was at last moved, and she focused on him. He froze for a moment to observe the face of the beauty… The sun would not have it, however. The few rays that punctured the shade of the oak now lay across her face, shrouding it in a brilliant mask…

Xous awoke, his mind desperately clinging to the now fleeting dream that was, only moments ago, so fresh in his resting mind.

“I’ve lost her again, it seems,” he spoke aloud to himself with a halfhearted chuckle. His heart momentarily ached for the beauty that so persistently haunted his dreaming psyche. “No time to dwell on ethereal nothingness, I suppose,” he concluded, rising from his bed. He neatly made his bed and began getting dressed. From behind the massive curtains of his window he could see radiant sunlight – its brilliant glow harkening back to the bliss of his dream. He shook the thought from his mind and concluded his dressing, then left his room. Walking downstairs at his quick pace, he reached the kitchen with celerity. He prepared a decent meal – eggs, toast, and strips of ham, with a tall glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. It was his hackneyed breakfast routine, but at least it was enjoyable. He sat at a massive table – its length could easily fit thirty people. In the middle was the insignia of his corporation, an “X” split into three parts, deeply engraved into the black granite. He called forward his computerized assistant as he ate.

“What news has come about since last night?” he asked the small levitating robot.

“Sir, official word from the Noble Rule about your rise as CEO of Corporation Xous has reached the rest of the world. Feedback is generally positive.”

“As expected,” Xous remarked, taking a small sip of his drink. “Has anything else come about?”

“Yes, sir. It would appear that the Noble Rule would like to throw a ball to celebrate your promotion ---“

“Putrid old nobles,” Xous quickly shot in, his perpetual frown growing. “Send out an announcement to the Noble Rule that there will be no time wasted for celebration. If they’d learned anything from my childhood, I would have hoped it’d been my likes and dislikes.”

“Right away, sir Xous.” The little bot quickly sent out an official electronic announcement of the cancellation of the ball.

“Right, then. Anything else, before I head out?” asked Xous, lifting his finished breakfast from the table and walking to the kitchen, with the bot following close behind.

“No, sir. That would conclude the news for today.”

“Alright, then. You’re dismissed.” Upon hearing that command, the little robot returned to its post. “No time to waste, then,” Xous said to himself. He headed to the bathroom to brush his teeth and prepare his hair before leaving his building. He looked at his reflection for a while, his view constantly returning to his eyes. His left eye, with the red pupil that was hidden behind his hair at most times, seemed driven to burn into the soul of whomever it gazed upon. His right eye… If his left burned into its target’s souls, this one simply shattered their soul upon viewing them. The pupil was yellow, whereas the rest of the eye was a pitch black, “a void”, Xous once noted. His right eye had given him quite the reputation amongst his fellow nobles – many feared his hateful gaze. Because of this, Xous had lived most of his life away from others, giving him plenty of time to saturate his mind with the knowledge of the world. He finally quit staring at himself and left the building, grabbing his black cloak on the way out.

“So, Xous has chosen to dismiss the ball as unnecessary, then?” asked Izeikiel, a look of expectedness on his face as he read the electronic mail.

“He must simply wish to work immediately,” remarked his sister, a melancholy chime in her voice.

“Ah, fear not, Lauliel,” Izeikiel softly spoke, “you’ll be able to spend time with Xous soon.”

The saddened sister let out a long sigh. “Xous simply hasn’t time for me, or anyone, for that matter.”

Izeikiel knew his sister wasn’t one to be persuaded by soothing words. “Unfortunately, you may be right, Lauliel. Xous simply seems to be more interested in becoming more powerful.” He let out a small, hateful laugh. “He really knows how to sicken me.”

“Brother, please don’t speak of Xous that way. His parents had done a lot for the Noble Rule before their demise…”

Izeikiel let out a piercing laugh. “Just because those two lead the Rule and turned it into what we have today doesn’t make what they did right. Don’t you think maybe it would have been better if our mother and father spearheaded the Rule? Maybe then we wouldn’t have had the creation of that cursed corporation. No, instead the nobles voted Xous’ parents to be leaders of the Rule. Remember, sister, that mother and father had an equally important role in creating the Rule. Why couldn’t they have made them leaders of the Rule?!” His temper was beginning to overwhelm his thoughts, and he decided it was best to cease talking. His sister was nearly ghost-white. He couldn’t stand upsetting his sister, his one and only tie to his bloodline, however weak a tie she was. “Lauliel, maybe it would be best for you to get some rest. You look sickly,” he gently spoke, hoping his kind words would work for once.

Lauliel hesitated for a moment, then, noticing how emotionally drained she felt from her brother’s slander against not only the Noble Rule, but also Xous’ parents, she conceded. “I’ll be in my room if you need me for anything, brother. I’ll be looking outside, observing the clouds as they move across the beautiful sky. After all, it’s such a lovely day outside…” She looked down at the ground to hide her dismal expression from her brother. “Would it be alright with you if we were to go for a walk later? After all, it’s still quite early…”

Izeikiel smiled at his sister’s request, and took her hand. “Of course, Lauliel. I’ll gladly accompany you on a walk later. But for now, I’ve got some business to take care of at the Rule.” Lauliel brightened up a little and slowly went to her room. Izeikiel waited until he’d heard her door shut before leaving.

Xous, after traveling for a short while in his black and gold hover vehicle, arrived at the Noble Rule building. The structure itself was imposing, not only because the nobles inside ruled the known world with unquestionable force, but also because of its pitch-black exterior and massive height. It was by far one of the tallest structures in the world, second only to the building of Corporation Xous. The windows of the building were nearly invisible, tinted black to match the rest of the building. The doors were elegantly framed with gold, and a massive garden, filled with dainty, lush trees, flowing fountains with icy blue water that shone in the sun, and magnificent sculptures of the founding Nobles, quietly stood before anyone that wished to enter the structure. Xous quickly and quietly strolled through the garden, casting a glance at the sculpture of his parents. Despite the almost dismal appearance of the Rule’s massive headquarters (though, the thought of black being “dismal” never occurred to Xous, he found the color soothing), the beauty of the garden adeptly outshone any darkness. Xous solemnly recalled earlier days in the garden, reading books under the shade of trees and, on rare occasions, actually running amidst the trees with his parents. However, his quick pace soon brought him to the doors of the Rule’s building, where an old friend stood awaiting his arrival, much to Xous’ surprise.

“Xous, I knew you’d show up today,” the wizened man chuckled. “Everyone here at least half expected you to call off the ball, but it seems like only I expected you to show up so early.”

“Ah, Rahjad, it’s refreshing to see at least one person knows me well. Though, I suppose it’s to be expected – you and my father had known each other since childhood, and seemed to only have been separated by death’s scythe.” Xous continued to walk into the building, slowing his pace dramatically to allow the old man to keep up. Each step they took on the black marble floors echoed through the first floor. The nobles they passed bowed politely to Xous, who simply nodded as he and Rahjad headed towards an elevator.

“It seems like you’re as blunt as ever, Xous,” Rahjad chuckled. Xous simply kept looking ahead. “So, you’ve finally taken your father’s place. What plans do you have? Being one of the major ruling nobles here, now, and the CEO of the Corporation must leave your ever-thinking mind in a raging storm of ideas – though, knowing you, you’ve had several plans thought up at least a year in advance.”

“Right again, Rahjad,” Xous replied seriously, the two men now stepping into an elevator. Xous pressed the button that lead to the highest floor. “I’ve got an idea for what my role for the Rule will be like, and as for the Corporation, I’ve got a separate plan for that.” The elevator doors shut and it began its slow climb to the top floor of the gigantic building.

Rahjad silently grumbled. “So, he doesn’t plan on abolishing the Corporation,” he thought to himself. “His parents really knew what they were doing when they built it, then. Where does this family plan on taking the world with that Corporation? It was the one topic Adrius and I seemed to have never spoken on… Xous… What are you planning?”

Xous ignored the man’s sudden silence. The elevator continued its climb, and the two men didn’t speak to one another until it reached the top. The top floor, obviously reserved for the ruling nobles, was decorated in the same manner as nearly every noble room was – black walls and black marble floors with gold designs sprawling across all sides. However, the floor was lit ever so slightly with a soft blue, imbuing it with a sense of mystery.

“It would seem most of the ruling nobles are present,” Xous thought to himself. Counting himself and Rahjad, seven of the nine ruling nobles were present. “I’m going to take my post now,” Xous said, turning to Rahjad.

“And I’ll take mine,” the old man smiled. The two parted, and each headed towards their post. Each post resembled a tall, black rectangular slab of stone, each with a seat imbedded into the top of the post, much like the seat of a judge. Engraved into the front of each post was the chosen insignia of the ruling noble. Each insignia glowed with a mystical flame – Xous’ was a deep blue.

The first ruling noble to welcome Xous was Bartius, a somewhat hefty and short noble with fiery red hair and tan skin. He spoke with a bit of a lisp, which added a “th” sound to the end of an “s”, and had a somewhat selfish nature. “So, Xous, welcome to the Rule. It’s nice to see you sitting amongst us.”

The next noble to acknowledge Xous’ entry was Elias, a slender male that looked to be the age of Xous, but was actually fifteen years older. He had golden hair and a pale complexion. He was fairly calm, but was known to speak passionately about topics such as money and romance – Xous despised his piggish nature. “Ah, Xous, I’ll echo Bartius and welcome you to the Rule.”

The third noble to speak up was a fit noble – which was somewhat rare in middle-aged nobles, who tended to be either large or thin – with lavender hair. His name was Urid, and he was a smart trickster, to say the least. He often used his wit to tease the other nobles and win his way in passing laws. Despite his somewhat bad reputation, his mind was certainly close to Xous’ in thinking power. “And what would I be if I didn’t welcome our newest member? Welcome, Xous,” he said with a playful smile.

The fourth and fifth nobles present simply nodded at Xous. They were near the age of Rahjad – closer to their 90’s rather than the 40’s like most of the other nobles of the Rule – and had been close friends with Xous’ parents, and therefore, Xous. Jaquia, one of the two female nobles of the Rule, had pale blue hair that messily fell past her shoulders. She had a strong opinion, but was mindful of others and usually kept within the boundaries of manners. The last present noble, Gisfel, had black hair that fell below his jaw line, which was covered in a thin black beard. He was usually quiet, much like Xous, but a deep brooding could be seen in his eyes at all times. His mind was sharp, but no one was certain just how sharp it was.

The two nobles that weren’t present were Izeikiel and his sister Lauliel. Lauliel was often absent from the Rule, as her frail health often left her bedridden. However, she was strong willed and fought hard with her brother to keep their family’s influence in the Rule strong. Her brother, Izeikiel, was nearly identical to Xous, at least in personality. His mind was filled to the brim with knowledge, and his every move was thought out. However, he seemed to be more talkative, at least when it came to his family and his position in the Rule.

“It would appear,” began Gisfel, his deep voice booming through the room and shattering the silence, “we may yet again have to begin without the Angellus siblings. Now, the first matter at hand is, of course, Xous joining our ranks, and our open position in the Rule.” He shot an emotionless glance at Xous, who simply mirrored the expression. “It is unfortunate that your parents have now left us, Xous, but thankfully they’ve left you as their gift to the world,” Gisfel somewhat grudgingly stated. Xous noted the tone and spoke up.

“My fellow nobles of the rule,” he began, his arms outstretched, “I am honored to be able to accept the role my parents have left for me. It is unfortunate that I’ve no sibling to take the spot left behind by my mother, but I will gladly assume both roles, if it would please the Rule. So, I would like to bring up a vote.” His face became serious, and his eyes surveyed the shocked expressions of the nobles, though, he noticed, the elder nobles seemed to have expected such a move.

“W-what!?” shot in Bartius, rising from his seat and slamming both hands down. “One person taking two spots in the Rule? Ridiculous! Ten is the number of nobles, and has been since the beginning, and that’s not changing!” He spat a little as he spoke, and his vision darted frantically around the room. He began shaking when he noticed the content expressions on the elder nobles’ faces. “Y-you’re not serious, are you?! How can we allow one man to take on the role of two people? It’s unthinkable!”

“Bartius,” began Urid in a laugh, “relax. I’m absolutely certain Xous would be more than capable enough to fill the role of both of his parents.” He stood up and raised his hand. “I vote in favor of Xous’ proposition.”

Bartius let out an almost childish gasp. “Urid, you can’t be serious! Do you forget that he’s also CEO of his corporation? There’s no way he’ll be able to hold a strong enough position in both the corporation and not one, but two seats in the Rule!”

Elias perked up. “Oh, sweet Bartius, do you mean to say you don’t think the son of such great minds as Adrius and Velia will be able to accomplish what he himself suggests? What a pity…” The somewhat feminine man put his hand in the air. “I vote in favor of Xous’ suggestion, as well.”

Bartius was left speechless – how could they vote so quickly on such a serious matter? He looked at Rahjad, who’d also stood and raised his hand, wearing the friendliest grin.

Jaquia stood and looked emotionlessly at Xous. “Young man, you’d better be able to fill your parents’ shoes. Should I find your performance anything less that magnificent, I will be sure to turn on you.” Upon finishing her little speech, she raised her hand, as well.

Bartius, knowing he was most likely outnumbered, slumped back into his seat and cast a defeated glare at Xous, who looked at Gisfel. A positive vote from the mysterious man would break a possible tie (Xous’ vote and the empty chair were taken out of account for the vote, of course), but should he vote against him, the vote would have to be continued at a later date, when the Angellus siblings were present. However, the old man did not disappoint Xous. He closed his eyes and raised his hand, his frown growing ever so slightly.

“Then it is official,” spoke a strong voice from the direction of the elevators. “Xous’ lust for power has granted him two seats, and therefore two votes, in the Rule.” Izeikiel walked to his post and rode the hover lift to his seat. He sat in his chair, crossing his arms and looking menacingly at Xous. “Tell me,” he growled, “where do you plan on taking this corporation and the world?”

RE: Xous' Fictional Tale

::DF111:: said:
Very nice stuff ^_^
* ::DF111:: thinks you should continue :D

Thanks. I'll see what more people think and announce my choice when the time is right. :3 (Though, honestly, if I do continue, it'll be at a slow pace, especially with all the drawings I still need to do.)

i haven't read it yet (idk if i will) but i've scrolled over it, and your writing style really impresses me :D

i kinda dissapprove of people using their own name/nickname as the name of their main character though. Normally it wouldn't be that bad, but you have to admit Xous is a bizarre name to be using as someone's real name :p (no offense)

SixaxiS said:
I haven't read it yet (idk if I will) but I've scrolled over it, and your writing style really impresses me :D

I kinda dissapprove of people using their own name/nickname as the name of their main character though. Normally it wouldn't be that bad, but you have to admit Xous is a bizarre name to be using as someone's real name :p (no offense)

Thanks.

Well, my username for the Beach was simply used because it's the name of the character, which was created several years ago, long before this account was. So, really, it couldn't be helped.

FRESHLY SQUEEZED ORANGE JUICE

Also, "Xous" may be a unique name, but so is every other name in the story. It's.... a story.

Xous' Fictional Tale gets my vote for best title since Matt's Pokemon Story. FOUR TEN STARS

Cool stuff, go on (after you finish the secret project :O)

PMJ said:
FRESHLY SQUEEZED ORANGE JUICE

Also, "Xous" may be a unique name, but so is every other name in the story. It's.... a story.

Xous' Fictional Tale gets my vote for best title since Matt's Pokemon Story. FOUR TEN STARS

Cool stuff, go on (after you finish the secret project :O)

xP It was either that or milk, and personally, "freshly squeezed" orange juice is better.

Eh, it's just a working title, but thanks. xD And I'll wait for a few more opinions (but I think I'll just end up continuing, anyways). :3

Nice stuff. I think that your ability to describe things is certainly your strongest talent when it comes to writing. Although I must ask... what does this corporation actually do? D:

scampy said:
Nice stuff. I think that your ability to describe things is certainly your strongest talent when it comes to writing. Although I must ask... what does this corporation actually do? D:

Thank you. :3

Oh! So you want to know, do you? =D More shall be revealed when I get to writing more!

But yeah, I know it's very confusing at the moment when it comes to the function of the Corporation. It's kinda supposed to make people wonder, but it's something I'll definitely get to very soon. :)

Okay, just so everyone is clear, we can revive threads like this for story updates, like PMJ has done in the past.

Anyways, here's the rest of "Chapter 1", though I'm not sure if that's what I want to call it...

Xous stood and raised both of his hands, as if about to proclaim something magnificent, and grinned slyly. “A shift,” he said calmly. The two words were met with looks of sheer confusion – Xous took notice and continued. “… A shift from the usage of magic arts to sciences.” He sat down calmly and looked at his fellow nobles, whom, he judged from their drained faces and gaping mouths, were anything but pleased with the proclamation.

Surprisingly, it was not Bartius who spoke up first (Xous mused on that notion for a moment – perhaps the little nitwit’s brain didn’t immediately comprehend what he’d said) – instead, Elias rose from his chair and spoke in a somewhat scared manner. “Y-You’re not serious,” he trembled. “Such a move would be… Well, it’d be ludicrous, to say the very least, Xous!” Urid chuckled a little, causing Elias to whip his attention to the trickster. “What are you laughing at?!”

Urid couldn’t help but continue laughing at the pale man’s frenzied expression. “Elias, why so quick to change your opinion? If I recall correctly, it was only moments ago you so strongly supported Xous’ proposition to count as two seats in the Rule.”

“That is an entirely different world than this… This… Mockery of the Rule!” shot back Elias, a fire in his eyes. Urid shrugged off Elias’ seriousness.

“Are you saying you support Xous’ rather… Odd proposition, Urid?” asked Jaquia, trying to keep her manners in line.

“Oh, no, no, dearest Jaquia,” Urid coaxed, “I was merely laughing at Elias’ sudden change in behavior, that’s all. Quite honestly, I’m confused at why Xous would bring up such an earth-shattering proposition… Especially in such a serious manner. Replacing the magic arts for sciences… Not even gloomy Gisfel could say that without laughing.” Gisfel shot Urid a glare of hatred – he was tired of Urid’s lack of professionalism in such a serious situation. Urid quickly took notice and apologized.

Rahjad took the time to ask the question no one had yet asked, but everyone was thinking. “Xous… Your mother and father weren’t fools, and they certainly didn’t raise you as one, so I’m positive you’ve got the way to answer this question. Just how do you plan on pulling off something so massive? As you’re well aware, the entire world runs off the magic arts – it’s the global energy source! It’s what creates everything around us, what keeps the world’s facilities going… In addition, the sciences… Are a field so forbidden that no one studies them! Are you saying you’ve been looking into the sciences?”

Xous let out a small laugh. “Looking into them? Oh, sweet Rahjad, I’ve been doing far more than simply ‘looking into the sciences’. I’ve been executing them.” The faces of the nobles were lost – they couldn’t find a proper expression to deal with what they’d heard. The son of Adrius and Velia, the nobles who were put in charge of the Rule, was practicing science? Could it be… The Corporation…?

“Xous! You’re not saying that the Corporation…?” Rahjad quickly moaned, his mind darting back and forth.

“Yes,” started Xous quietly, “Corporation Xous is the bastion for the progression of the sciences for worldwide energy and developmental usage. I alone have been working on technology that will make all magic arts technologies obsolete.” Xous looked at Izeikiel – his foe in life was grinding his teeth and wearing the most hateful expression.

Gisfel, who’d mostly kept his expression serious and brooding, began to laugh. His booming laughter wrenched the attention of each noble to him. “Fool! How can you possibly think science will ever outdo the magic arts in terms of efficiency!? Ha ha ha! You’ve seen – and exhibited – the might the magic arts have to offer! If I recall correctly, even from an extremely young age, you were able to go toe-to-toe with Urid at times! There’s no way you could even dream up a science that is stronger than magic arts!” The old man cackled for a moment longer, and the rest of the nobles (excluding Xous, of course, and Izeikiel, who seemed absolutely blinded by rage) seemed to become less tense and took comfort in Gisfel’s well-made point.

Xous wished to waste no time explaining the might of the sciences to near-deaf ears – he figured a display would be far better. With a lightning-quick flick of his wrist, he grabbed an ornately designed pistol from under his cloak, pointed in the direction of Bartius, and shot a single round at the unaware fool’s arm. The bullet shrieked as it left the weapon and lodged itself into Bartius’ arm, sending the noble spiraling backwards from his post. He hit the ground with tremendous force, but wasn’t harmed aside from the bullet’s damage. He writhed in pain and wailed on the floor as the other nobles looked on in sheer horror. Xous grinned sinisterly as Elias jumped from his post and darted over to the helpless Bartius. Elias quickly seized the flailing man by his unwounded arm and held him still as best he could. He held his unused hand, which began to glow with a brilliant golden light, just above the wound and slowly lifted his hand up, and the bullet followed in an almost magnetic response. Elias then flicked his glowing hand, tossing the bullet across the room, and placed it directly upon the bloody wound. In mere seconds Bartius stopped writhing, and his breathing returned to normal. Giving his savior a surprised nod, he stood up. Elias, however, took a moment to catch his breath before barely getting on his feet. The nobles then returned their wide eyes to Xous, who still wore his demonic grin.

“W-what… W-was…,” Rahjad stammered, his mind lost in a tempest of pure mystification. Xous took the moment as a good time to return the pistol to its holster and replaced the grin on his face with his usual frown.

“That,” he calmly stated, “was a pistol. A weapon made by science. It is actually quite basic, as far as science-made weaponry goes. That little demonstration made the effects of merely one shot obvious. This pistol holds nine at once. Now, before you assault me with accusations of attempted murder…” He looked around, making sure none of the nobles had disappeared or started to attack – thankfully, they were all still blanketed in a state of confusion. “… I had absolutely no intention of killing the fair Bartius. This was simply, as I said, a demonstration. I aimed for the arm, and knew at least one of you would attend to him with a healing art.” Feeling confident he had at least calmed their minds on that dangerous thought, he stopped talking and let them mull over everything that had transpired.

They all wore masks of panic, anger, and perplexity as they thought about what just happened to one of their own… Bartius slowly hobbled back to his post, his eyes affixed to Xous in an inferno of rage. Elias couldn’t move from where he stood – using a healing art that powerful required serious soul energy – and simply looked emptily at the black marble floor. Surprisingly, a deep, thunderous laugh pierced the air, causing all eyes to turn to Gisfel. The mysterious man was nearly falling over in deep laughter. Xous knew why. “Young man… Catching someone off-guard to prove a point… Just like your father.” He seemed to pause to recall a past event between himself and Adrius, then smiled and returned his gaze to Xous. “Had that been the battlefield, Bartius would have had time to defend himself with a shield art. Your little display proves nothing.”

Xous just shrugged and smiled slightly. The man had a point – on the stage of war, a shield art could be used to block a bullet. However, having to repeatedly use a shield art to block several bullets could deplete the soul energy of a magic arts user. It was a detail displayed perfectly in Elias’ unmoving state, and Xous knew every noble in the room was thinking about that – they were just too afraid to mention it. There was so much more Xous could explain about the sciences, so many secrets he’d discovered in the forbidden art… However, revealing everything he knew about them would be unwise, to say the least. He’d done what he wanted to do, and that was to display a miniscule amount of the power of the sciences – having done that, he was content. “You’re right, Gisfel! What was I thinking? He could surely block it had I not used such an underhanded technique,” Xous stated with a smirk. The man frowned at the obviously sharp remark. Elias worked up the energy to return to his post, his breathing somewhat weak. Xous cast a sly glance in his direction, but Elias was too weak to muster up an equally cocky stare. He simply looked down. Xous ceased his self-satisfied attitude and returned to his usual frowning self.

“Needless to say,” Gisfel spoke, “I believe I accurately speak for the rest of the Rule when I say that we will most certainly not stray from the magic arts. Doing so is simply foolish and unrealistic. I believe this will conclude today’s session.” He looked around at the other nobles – none of them seemed to object. “Very well, then. We shall meet again next week. This session is officially over.” All of the nobles except Xous, Izeikiel, and Elias stood and left their posts, entering the elevator and descending to the first floor. Bartius cast one last hateful look at Xous before the elevator doors closed.

Izeikiel sat at his post, his teeth ever-grinding, his eyes unmoving from Xous’ eyes. Xous returned the glare with his own calm glare. Elias looked weakly on at the two rivals, their silent feud showing no signs of ceasing. After a few minutes, though, Izeikiel shot up from his seat, standing straight up, fists clenched and shaking, but still deathly silent. Xous rested his head in one hand and continued his calm glare at his foe. Izeikiel seemed to snap at Xous’ blasé attitude and stormed towards the elevator in a blind rage, descending for the first floor when the elevator returned to the top floor.

Satisfied with his victory over his fuming rival, Xous stood and looked at Elias. The girlish noble had regained all of his strength, and was just sitting in his chair, looking at Xous. “You know, Xous,” he began timidly, then with more force, “you’re a fool to even bring up the sciences here. You’re not unintelligent, though. I know you’ve got some grand scheme, and I know you’ve got the resources to pull it off.” He stood up, hand on his hip. “You can count on me not letting you go through with whatever you have planned.”

Xous chuckled. “Yes, I had no doubt you’d feel that way, Elias. In fact, I knew that no noble of the Rule would support the sciences. However, I do feel it can do the world some good if we were to abolish the magic arts.” He looked off into the faint blue of the black room and let out a deep, sorrowful sigh. “We’re a dying breed, Elias, and it’ll only be a matter of time before the world falls into ruin because of the avarice of the nobles.”

Elias giggled at the notion and shot back, “Again, Xous, you’re a fool.” He left his post and entered the elevator, returning to the first floor like each noble before had done. Xous stayed on the top floor, alone, for several minutes longer, his own remark drawing deep on his mind.

“Alone… Father, mother… Is this what you had planned for the world?”

I agree with scampy. Your description is impeccable in your fan fic especially at the beginning. Great job! I plan to read all of it but I was reading a bunch of stories for the short story competetion so I got a little tired of reading. But your word usage is also amazing, the story is very sophisticated. I wouldn't be suprisd if you didn't add illustrations to this fan fic. :)

- Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back