Xerosic

totodile_it_down

Rogue Life
Do you guys think Xerosic will be getting a lot of play? That will be an easy way around Seismitoad's item lock. Just wondering how viable these variants will continue to be when the new set releases.

If Seismitoad/ Team Flare Gear becomes a thing, Xerosic could become a useful tech. Otherwise, it's not really worth wasting a Supporter to basically play an Enhanced Hammer or Tool Scrapper. I can only see this card as a counter for Seismitoad, which isn't as much of a threat as was first thought, though it is still pretty annoying. This could become a one-of, but with Vs. Seeker you can recycle it if need be.

I think it's really really good, even with Enhanced hammer back.

-Being a supporter actually has it's advantages now. It can be brought back with VS Seeker and can be played when Seismatoad EX is causing Mayhem (that's the main reason I think this is good). Just hope Stoutland or Exeggutor doesn't become a thing.
-It's versatile. It's like having two cards in one. It's either half a tool scrapper or an enhanced hammer. This means that playing a copy in your deck is like having two cards, each covering a different situation (both of which you're bound to run into)
-You can use it on your own Pokemon. So if one of those Team Flare Hyper Gear cards is causing trouble, you can get rid of it, allowing you to attach advantageous tools like Muscle Band. You can even use it on your own energy, which can actually be useful against the likes of Aegislash EX, which is immune to Pokemon attacks if they have special energy attached.

It just seems like a card that was made for the format, not just Seismatoad EX, but Garbodor, the hyper gear tools, and even something like Aegislash EX.

I'm trying to incorporate at least a Lysandre's Trump or Xerosic in each of my decks. I've even thought about replacing the lone Lysandre with Xerosic in some of my tighter lists. I think it really depends on how people like to play if they will use Xerosic.

I still think Lysandre is far more necessary than Xerosic, but they should both find a place in every deck. I can only imagine how much of a game changer it will be to attach a first turn Head Ringer to an active Seismitoad then Hammer/Xerosic away the DCE the following turn. It makes me giddy haha.

I've done a little testing and still prefer startling megaphone over Xerosic. Lysandre's Last Resort is already pushing it as an extra supporter and Xerosic is really hard to find a good turn to play it on.

I haven't put a Last Resort in any of my decks yet. Maybe over time I'll be forced to, but I'm avoiding it at the moment. I think Xerosic is a necessary ace-in-the-hole to help sway the Seismitoad/Garbodor matchup. It's possible I may be over-valuing it though.

I think Xerosic is kind of garbage, i find pokemon center lady or pokemon fan club or that new card called Trevor coming out or even AZ more of a better use. Lysandre trump card is benifitial for both players, it should only be used in near crisis or with a thorough discard pile search. If you don't carefully check your opponents discard, you could end up giving them a bunch of stuff you don't want them to have. AZ is awesome, it just is. Center lady can change the game crazily, fan club isn't a bad starting card, and trevor is gonna replace skyla-ing for a ultra ball and then grabbing a stage 1 or 2.

Believe me being a Toad player while your opponent plays Xerosic is annoying because you'll need to either switch to a new toad with a DCE or attach another one. Xerosic can also break Toad Garb's ability lock which can be crucia in order to get useful abilities such as Verdant Wind, Safeguard, Red Signal, Stellar Guidance, Dark Cloak, Metal Link, Fairy Transfer. And once those abilities are back it can put the game in your opponent's favor. I play 1 Xerosic in my Toad deck and it works well because it's a tool scrapper so I can get rid of a muscle band, hard charm etc and put an annoying head ringer on an EX. It also helps you get rid of a head ringer on your own Seismitoad EX.

I have been running on my Seismitoad/Yveltal/Garbodor and it has saved my bacon a couple of times, by either destroying a DCE or by breaking a Flare Gear

It's that 61st card in my fighting deck. I ended up swapping it with Lysandre's Trump Card, which in that deck, often hurt me more than it helped (I run Drifblim so shuffling their special energy back in isn't ideal). The increase in Head Ringer and Seismitoad EX makes this useful.

In my last match-up at a CC yesterday, I used Xerosic 2x to remove my opponent's Strong energy from my opponent's Donphans I did not immediately KO. This was significant in my eventual win.

Since Xerosic can either discard an opponent's Special energy or Tool (had another opponent place 3 Head Ringers on my Toads early game... sigh), I've found it to be very useful.

Glad to see this thread make a comeback. It's kind of funny that I never use this card despite being its biggest proponent when the set was first releasing. With Toad's popularity soaring (not to imply it's usage wasn't always high), it may be time to revisit this as a must have in my decks. I've become partial to Pokemon Center Lady as of late (also because of LaserBank ToadLock) and have a hard time running more than 1 "gimmick" supporter. AZ has also proven interesting as a Max Potion in a Supporter's body, which also doubles as a a way to remove Head Ringers, or as an emergency Switch. What initially appeared to be "bad" Supporters have all proven to be relatively useful in a variety of decks.

Xerosic has definitely become a staple in my decks given my CCs experiences; that Supporter earned its spot repeatedly.

totodile_it_down said:
What initially appeared to be "bad" Supporters have all proven to be relatively useful in a variety of decks.

Presumably this is the direction that PCL is pushing us, powered along by the Toad- more varied supporters, supporters with effects that are similar to powerful items. And I guess it is working- despite the mantra "it is not worth using your supporter for the turn" some of these are making people's lists- AZ and Xerosic especially.

THIRTEEN said:
The only one that is not so good is Lysandre's Trump

I also have trouble finding space for it in just about every one of my decks, but there are certain builds that thrive because of it ("Cancer" Toad/Slurpuff). It can also be a surprisingly offensive card (as opposed to it being a defensive play against Night March type decks), in that, it can eliminate the late game "VS Seeker-Lysandre-Game" combo that's become so common.

THIRTEEN said:
The only one that is not so good is Lysandre's Trump

Trump card can be useful, I think.

Some decks are just a little slow. They can control and gradually win, but need more time. A few decks are dependent on very limited resources. Eg if you really depend on a particular attacker, one gets KOd, one gets discarded... suddenly you can't see yourself taking all your prizes.

You can always look at your discard pile and your opponent's. Sometimes you see you are going to get back a tonne of good stuff and your opponent won't. .. sometimes it's the other way around. First situation you play it, secondly situation you don't. It doesn't always benefit both sides equally.

Remember to stay on topic everyone. This thread is about Xerosic, not Lysandre's Trump Card.

Personally, I haven't tried Xerosic that much. I feel like if you're playing against something that isn't Seismitoad, Megaphone will always be better. Wasting your supporter on Xerosic is just too costly. Even if you do something useful like discard G Booster or Head Ringer, I feel like discarding your hand and drawing 7 will still be a more useful effect.

But, as I said earlier, Xerosic is clearly the better card against Seismitoad. Against Seismitoad/Garbodor, getting your Abilities back for 1 turn can be very important for decks like Aromatisse and Bronzong, enough to swing the game in your favor. Even being able to discard DCEs can be important against the Slurpuff version. I'm trying out a Xerosic in my Aromatisse deck right now, and I haven't had much use for it yet, but I'll be sure to try it out more.

Back