Speculation X/Y, OR/AS, XYZ-DE? Zeptember is here.

Mitja

veteran smartass
d1J2xRn.png

With the previous corocoro promising actual info about the creatures from the latest movie teaser in this months issue... and the big drought of any main-game-announcement for so long (we thought May, because of ORAS-reveal last year, then we thought June @ E3, then after the Teaser was shared, then at Worlds where Pokken took the spotlight instead...) could it finally be over? Can we get excited again? :B

Gen-6 follow-up game discussions in a nutshell:

Pokefans speculating: "It's gonna be Pokemon Z!"
Pokefans reacting: "too predictable..."

Pokefans speculating: "It's gonna be Pokemon Emer.."
Pokefans reacting: "absolute nonsense."

Pokefans speculating: "It's gonna be Pokemon Delta Z!"
Pokefans reacting: "that just makes no sense, besides, it's clearly going to be a pair."

Pokefans speculating: "It's gonna be Pokemon X2 and Y2 then."
Pokefans reacting: "too predictable again..."

Pokefans speculating: "It's gonna be Pokemon XZ and YZ with the Z stylized like a 2"
Pokefans reacting: "that could work"

Meanwhile @Gamefreak:
"They won't see this coming, even though it's so obvious. We did two different game pairs of red and blue, and now we're going to do the opposite: make a green pair but each a sequel to each pair. Each with enough unique promises that everyone will want to buy both of the games that they often wouldn't even buy one of back when it was just a single third version. This is also the only situation where releasing 2 quite different games as a pair is profitable, as development for both of these begins with already finished products as the basis.

-Pokemon XYZ & Pokemon Delta Emerald

MUAHAHAHAHAHAA"

Before anyone starts screaming that the sole idea is absurd, I'm not saying that this is anywhere near likely what Gamefreak is doing, I am just entertaining the idea and curious about what fans would make of it.

So, it occurred to me earlier, that so far in this generation, we have had 2 pairs of games. Both times a red one and a blue one. (Until now, games within a generation at least tried to be at least somewhat distinct colours from each other.)

With 2 games left for gen6 (the games have 6 origin-markers for the pentagon-symbol in their coding), I just assumed we'd get 2 green ones the whole time (with Zygarde being the obvious mascot for both), but like BW2 they would get added features of....red and blue? Actually imagining it visually, this would probably look like a mess (compared to adding red/blue to black/white), not to mention it would make a third red/blue repetition (fourth if counting BW2 just before gen6) which is getting ridiculous.

Another interesting thing is the widespread perception of both XY and ORAS as unfinished or rushed products that people had higher expectations for.

With this idea, both of them can be "fixed".

2qV3JpR.png

I find it quite curious that the legends on the covers of XY and ORAS are red and blue, with their third counterpart in both cases being a green primary Dragon-type, but one underGround and the other Flying, with both having some secret ties to Mega evolution, and a "balance-keeping"-role.

So what if they basically released an unexpected pair of single sequel games, one to each of the previous 2 pairs?

Not a simple Pokemon Z
Not a redundant non-sequel Delta Emerald
Not a hybrid Delta Z
Not an obvious BW2-repeat in X2Y2
Not a more cleverly stylized XZ and YZ
But an XY-sequel, Pokemon XYZ, and an ORAS-sequel, Pokemon Delta Emerald, at the same time.

(Note: such a Delta Emerald would be a sequel rather than a plain Emerald remake, so just replying "Delta Episode takes care of that" is not enough)

The thought of an XY-sequel is pretty straightforward, since we're all kind of expecting that, but what would an ORAS-sequel get to do?

But either way, while the games would be quite different, they could share some otherwise exclusive features:
-Character customization would come to Hoenn in DE
-Soaring would come to Kalos in XYZ
-all Megas available/full compatibility while playing in whichever region you prefer

And what is the one location that was identical in XY and ORAS? The Battle Maison. With the tease in the Battle Resort, we all know what would be in those locations in either sequel... the Battle Frontier.

Meaning the big selling-point would be in both games, leaving the choice up to you to which region to return before the gen is over. And since the games would be the most drastically different pair ever, in GFs eyes it would mean more people buying BOTH.

All they'd have to do is put the development equivalent of half a game into each sequel and have them be as profitable as either of the games in gen6 so far.

Or lets get a bit more specific. Lets say Gamefreak puts 100 game-development-units into making a game. With games like XY and ORAS, where the region and story all needs to be programmed from scratch, all 100 units go into developing the core of the game. But in this case, they could put 30 into turning XY into a sequel, 30 into turning ORAS into a sequel, and 40 to develop shared content like the Battle Frontier. It would work because in both cases they are merely improving already existing products (and lets not forget that they're taking longer than a year developing whatever is next).

(I'm still saying we're getting XZYZ with one Zygarde-frme each, but this idea is cool and I'd honestly be positively surprised if it turned out to be true)

Last edited:
Interesting idea, but I don't think it'll happen. Or if it will, it won't be a simultaneous release. The marketing doesn't point to it and I don't think it'd be a good idea, having to market completely different games at the same time seems like it'd be hard to balance. Another problem is that Zygarde is getting a new form, how is Rayquaza going to match that when it already has a Mega Evolution?

I think they can still be unpredictable with Kalos sequels, there's a couple of ways to spice things up. Personally, I think a new crop of Pokemon would be a good way, it would be a bold move for the series, add new life to Kalos, and fix its problems with Pokemon distribution.

You know I reacted exactly like this: Pokefans speculating: "It's gonna be Pokemon Z!"
Pokefans reacting: "too predictable..."

Pokefans speculating: "It's gonna be Pokemon Emer.."
Pokefans reacting: "absolute nonsense."

Pokefans speculating: "It's gonna be Pokemon Delta Z!"
Pokefans reacting: "that just makes no sense, besides, it's clearly going to be a pair."

Pokefans speculating: "It's gonna be Pokemon X2 and Y2 then."
Pokefans reacting: "too predictable again..."

Pokefans speculating: "It's gonna be Pokemon XZ and YZ with the Z stylized like a 2"
Pokefans reacting: "that could work"

I'd mostly like to see Pokemon X2Y2 though.

:p

I for one, probably see Pokemon and Game Freak doing to the Kalos sequels like they did with Pokemon Black and White.

I don't see a Delta Emerald to go along with a X/Y sequel just because I'm not sure how making two sequels from different games coming out at the same time makes sense.

I'd rather have a Kalos sequel or prequel or whatever (edit: maybe one game a sequel, the other a prequel?). There's not much more to add to Hoenn. We've already explored it 3 times and most people want Delta for the Battle Frontier, which should have totally been in ORAS instead of that shameful tease.

Kalos left me craving more out of it. Correction: The entirety of Gen VI left me unsatisfied. Fantastic improvements to multiplayer and gameplay, but the single player campaigns seriously lacked in content and charm. Were my expectations too high? I don't think so. Its predecessors spoiled me. For example, Kalos' cast felt dry and uninteresting. No offense to Diantha, but she's completely irrelevant to the player. Famous actress? Cool. We don't see any of her work and she appears like twice before the Elite 4. The fight against Korrina for the mega ring was so anti-climatic and Malva had potential to have an amazing backstory but they didn't do anything with her. I appreciate the small attempts to make the characters interesting, but it all just fell flat. It's stuff like this that I wish gets fleshed out in the next games. I want to know more about these characters. I want to know what's beyond the tunnel in Couriway town and the three locked doors to the power plant. I want to be engaged to the world and do more than ride a bike with eggs after I beat the game. At least give us something more than the Maison.

This is why I'm so cautiously excited for whatever news we get from Coro Coro this month. It definitely has been a while since gamefreak announced a new pokemon game, which gives me hope that some, if not all, of my prayers will be answered because they seem to be hard at work. But I'm also afraid of being disappointed again. I'm afraid of having high expectations. I don't want to look at the story as a 20+ hour obstacle to competitive battles.

Last edited:
Well, actually, I did thought about that possibility once (I don't remember if I said anything in the forums about itm but I might have in some long lost post)... and I thought of it precisely because of this:

I find it quite curious that the legends on the covers of XY and ORAS are red and blue, with their third counterpart in both cases being a green primary Dragon-type, but one underGround and the other Flying, with both having some secret ties to Mega evolution, and a "balance-keeping"-role.

I thought the exact same thing. Like "they're green, the 3rd mascot, one is grounded, the other is a flyer - are they supposed to be counterparts or something? - they could make one game based on zygarde and another based on rayquaza"

But then I thought it was too farfetched, specially after ORAS having the Delta Episode (I read your whole post, but Delta Episode is pretty much GF's way of saying "here, a bit of Emerald so you don't whine too much about it"), Rayquaza got its Mega which, if there were really going to do this, would have been saved for that game; Zygarde will most likely have 2 forms (even though I'd prefer if it only had one), the 2 ground-moves and the nearly-fact that we will get another pair of games only emphasizes that...
Eventually, I abandoned the ideia and also think we'll get XZ/YZ...
But I do think this would be much cooler...

If this is true, if we do get a 3rd version, then it must come out within the first half of 2016 or else it might not make it to market in time to beat Gen 7 to market, unless it comes before holiday/Xmas shopping season 2016(provided Gen 7 is on the NX, which might be the 3DS's successor system if true, as a launch title: an act that is not like the Game Freak we all know, given B/W 2 being released one year after the original 3DS's release)... :(

^ I'm not expecting Pokemon DE, but I hope they'll rectify that w/ a Pokemon Battle Frontier eShop app, and if that's true, maybe you can use either your party or Pokemon within Pokemon bank as your "stand-in" PC Pokemon... It would be a consolation prize for that dreadful tease in OR/AS at a time when the current gen has reached the peak of its lifespan. Pokemon DE would be illogical, given that we have yet to see official Volcanion, and even a game focused on Zygarde, in the 6th gen, so if next game is the last of main Gen 6, make it Pokemon Z, or even X2/Y2... A return to Kalos: Zygarde's territory, maybe with a Game Corner that allows you to play Pokemon Platinum over slots and stuff that is prone to EU ban-hammer action, with Coins replacing Pokedollars as in-game currency for said Game Corner version of Platinum. Speaking of Platinum, it could be a companion game, rather than a Game Corner game(In the case it's not played in a Game Corner, pokedollars can still be the currency, and coins don't need to replace it), to the Battle Frontier app for those that prefer to trade or battle w/ X/Y/OR/AS, and don't want any part of the third version or versions... Maybe that will answer the "flowers" post regarding Pokemon's future...

EDIT: I just saw a tweet that debunks the Gen 7 on NX idea, proving Gen 7 must be based on other pokemon games that have yet to be announced, and are too distant to worry about right now:

Serkan Toto said:
I just asked DeNA about the Nintendo-Google deal. Answer: Pokemon Go is NOT the 1st of the "around 5 titles" that we are jointly developing.

Last edited:
The next season of the anime is confirmed to be called Pokemon XY & Z in CoroCoro. So I think a single third entry is pretty likely at this point.

The next season of the anime is confirmed to be called Pokemon XY & Z in CoroCoro. So I think a single third entry is pretty likely at this point.

That would still leave one last placeholder game left for Gen.6.
So whilst I can easily see us getting a single third version for X/Y focusing on Perfect Zygarde (with some inclusion from its blob, dog and serpentine formes) it still leaves one more - unless they'd recycle the same version mascot (with the same new forme) for two games which seems quite redundant.
(unless they do something with Xerneas/Yveltal and they remain the mascots but that would be something quite different than they've done before)

Unless they have another big powerful Zygarde forme (or two altogether new ones) in store, then I can actually see an XYZ + DE happening.

That would still leave one last placeholder game left for Gen.6.
So whilst I can easily see us getting a single third version for X/Y focusing on Perfect Zygarde (with some inclusion from its blob, dog and serpentine formes) it still leaves one more - unless they'd recycle the same version mascot (with the same new forme) for two games which seems quite redundant.
(unless they do something with Xerneas/Yveltal and they remain the mascots but that would be something quite different than they've done before)

Unless they have another big powerful Zygarde forme (or two altogether new ones) in store, then I can actually see an XYZ + DE happening.

Or the extra slot is for Pokemon Go. They did say it would communicate with the main games in some way and I'm getting some serious Pokewalker/Dream Radar vibes from it.

Back