Event Worlds Senior Meta

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
So the worlds senior meta is unpredictable but I'm hoping people can just tell me what they think about it. Night March or no Night March? How much of everything else if Night March is big or isn't? I'm in day one btw.

You should expect to see just as much, if not more, Night March than masters (aprox. 50%). Seniors throughout the season have been crazy when it comes to playing Night March, and I don't expect that trend to subside.

Yeah seniors up here in New England play ton of night march, trevs, and toadtina

So the worlds senior meta is unpredictable but I'm hoping people can just tell me what they think about it. Night March or no Night March? How much of everything else if Night March is big or isn't? I'm in day one btw.
Im day one as well. I think there will be tons on Night March day one and tons of item lock and Rouge decks day 2

Playing as a senior in the north, we are really big on EX heavy decks, mainly metal, and water box. I have heard that some people have been playing Mega Rayquaza/Jolteon, but I haven't experienced that deck in tournament yet. Of my 7 rounds played at nationals, I only ran into night march once, and hadn't seen any others around. The top players in my area (Rowan, etc.) are going with YZG as their pick, and for good reason, the deck has a solid counter to many things that are popular right now. YZG also isn't disturbed by Pokemon ranger when beating some decks.
Unfortunately YGZ has an unfavorable matchup against Night March (BDIF and makes up like 60% of the meta where I live) and a 50/50 against Vespiplume. These are not the matchups you want to have going into worlds so I wouldn't be concerned about YGZ. If I were to play a deck for worlds (Besides the one I've been keeping for worlds) it would be trevs. Trevenant can really beat anything and it has great matchups against the 2 other big decks right now: Night March and Vespiplume. (Also Yanmega is a great 1-1 or 2-2 line to tech into Trevs lists to beat Frogs and Waterbox)

Uhh, YZG is a pretty bad pick. I've seen it lose to Trevenant on multiple occasions, more people have centered towards Quad Zoroark/yveltal (like the Baxter builds) and the Maxie's engine is really weird in standard. Also, has a hard time vs Night March, Vespiplume, abd pretty much loses whenever it doesn't get Gallade out. Idk why Rowan chose YZG for nats and worlds but it was a horrible pick for worlds.

I know our seniors play Villiplume/Vesp.

Honestly, I'm expecting this to be a very quick worlds when it comes to the games. Who ever goes first has a high probability of winning. The best thing you can do is to play a deck that you are comfortable with and understand the match ups. Any of the top 5 decks can beat one another. Because a lot of the more intricate plays have been taken out of the game, it's literally going to come down to the flip. Everything comes down to whether or not the coin falls your way. This season, I've been more haunted by the heads or tails at start of game, then I've been at what deck to play. Sad, but true. Pause. Take a breath. Call the flip.

Next season, I'm hoping it will be different.

Mega man isn't played.very much anymore. The problem withYGZ is that Gallade is unreliable, it's more suspectable to falling to item lock (hence what I said about Trevenant) and uses less attackers than Quad Zoroark. Night March also requires less setup and doesn't have to put down shaymins. And Gallade is more than just a mega man counter; if you don't get it out, you generally lose. It's the deck's main source of consistency, a good attacker that gives only one prize, and is vital to the deck's strategy.

Mega man isn't played.very much anymore. The problem withYGZ is that Gallade is unreliable, it's more suspectable to falling to item lock (hence what I said about Trevenant) and uses less attackers than Quad Zoroark. Night March also requires less setup and doesn't have to put down shaymins. And Gallade is more than just a mega man counter; if you don't get it out, you generally lose. It's the deck's main source of consistency, a good attacker that gives only one prize, and is vital to the deck's strategy.
Ya, I agree the setup is the main weakness with using Gallade, sure when its ready it can be lethal because of its 2 Energy = 130 Damage consistency but before that stage you cannot do much, your hand might also start to clog because of the evolutions.

In my opinion you can run the deck without gallade. But it works miracles against nightmarch. It makes them work for a ko against gallade. They don't want pumpkaboo, as if you discard the stadium, that's gg. Gallade therefore makes night March discard 7 night marchers. Something they don't want to do against YZG. Attach a muscle band, lysandre a Shaymin, or use target whistle, and there yu have it. A way to beat nightmarch at its own game. In my opinion, YZG works miracles against almost every deck in the format. Can beat nightmarch if you strategize, does well against water box, and everything else. Hits trevenant for weakness, and water box needs a lot of consistent damage to trade evenly with yzg. Therefore, I believe yzg to be a sleeper pick for worlds 2016

I'll have to disagree.

Zoroark is your main attacker, and is usually the attacker you use for dealing with most threats. Yveltal EX, Fright Night, and Baby cover niche situations like big attacks, Bench damage, tool lock, and resource recycling. Gallade is there for type coverage, since everything in the deck gets 1 hit kod by threats such as mega manectric, and that is it's sole purpose.

Mega manectric is still very much an archetype that is alive, it took top 8 at nationals, and I encountered it during my run as well. It has placed high all this season, as there is nothing much that threatens it, since it can be thrown in with all sorts of things.

Gallade is not the way you win games. If you think that Gallade is the best fit for the main attacker of YZG, you're better off playing Gallade/Octillary. Go watch kemony's stream and watch Rowan lose a game, even with a quick early-game maxies.

Night march MUST put down a couple shaymins to get all their stuff going, and with big non exs like Yveltal going around killing things really easily, night march has a little more trouble keeping up.

I'm not sure what you're trying to propose with quad zoroark.
Emskas if you don't mind me asking, do you play your locals at Teddy N Me?

Nope, but close. (Please don't ddos me, come to my house, or kidnap me) Is that where Rowan goes? I've been trying to find where he goes now. He left the one I go to :(

Can't say anything on where he goes to now. And no I won't harm you, good trainers never harm their comrades. :D

Anyways, I'm looking to go for Regionals this year but I'm just starting to get into the competitive scene, can one of you more experienced fellows guide me on how I will earn Play Points and be able to go to higher tier tournaments. (I know this is off-topic but I'd appreciate the help, sorry Moderators). :rolleyes:

I'll have to disagree.

Zoroark is your main attacker, and is usually the attacker you use for dealing with most threats. Yveltal EX, Fright Night, and Baby cover niche situations like big attacks, Bench damage, tool lock, and resource recycling. Gallade is there for type coverage, since everything in the deck gets 1 hit kod by threats such as mega manectric, and that is it's sole purpose.

Mega manectric is still very much an archetype that is alive, it took top 8 at nationals, and I encountered it during my run as well. It has placed high all this season, as there is nothing much that threatens it, since it can be thrown in with all sorts of things.

Gallade is not the way you win games. If you think that Gallade is the best fit for the main attacker of YZG, you're better off playing Gallade/Octillary. Go watch kemony's stream and watch Rowan lose a game, even with a quick early-game maxies.

Night march MUST put down a couple shaymins to get all their stuff going, and with big non exs like Yveltal going around killing things really easily, night march has a little more trouble keeping up.

I'm not sure what you're trying to propose with quad zoroark.
Okay I'll try to be nice about this but you seriously need to test more if these are your viewpoints on the current meta

First, saying that Night March can't keep up with YGZ makes about as much sense as a person saying that an airplane can't keep up with them. The fact is Night March is MUCH MUCH MUCH faster and can stream attackers much easier than YGZ can. If you could consistently stream Zoroarks with YGZ, sure you have no problems with that matchup! The problem is Oblivion Wing Yveltal (Only basic with 1 energy attack) can't OHKO belted Night Marchers easily making it easy for them to win the prize trade (especially if they run vespiquen). Also if you at any point discard an Yveltal-EX or have it in hand it can be Pokepuffed out or Target Whistled out. While I agree with you the Gallade is not the largest piece of the deck, Gallade is extremely important to drawing consistently (another area where Night March beats YGZ). Also Night March 100% does not need to put down Shaymin-EXs in this matchup because they do not have to hit large numbers (like the mirror matchup). Lastly Night March can limit their bench space to prevent KOs from both Zoroark and Yveltal making it so you lose the prize trade sooooooooooo... yeah you need to test this matchup more and do not say you have because if you believe this viewpoint you clearly haven't.

Secondly, Mega Manectric is a horrible play for worlds. I can name lots of things that threaten it: Night March (autoloss), Seismitoad/Giratina (bad), Megaray (Normally outspeeds it), Night March/Vespiquen (autoloss), Vespiplume (extremely clunky without items and they can 2 shot megaman) and anything with Gallade. This pretty much makes it so that it loses to at least 60% of seniors metagame. One top 8 does not mean a deck is good. If you ask me I believe that 2nd place got there because of his good play not the deck.

Lastly, Quad Zoroark is the much better dark option as of right now. Quad Zoroark CAN keep up with Night March unlike YGZ. Because they run 4 Yveltal and 4-4-1 line of Zoroark they can actually tie the prize trade and its closer to a 45/55. Also quad zoroark doesn't autolose to the likes of Vileplume. Quad Zoroark is better because like Night March it tends to win the prize trade against many decks AND tends to beat Trevenant.

Once again, I'm not trying to be mean here I'm just trying to explain my opinion. Hope this helps you and anyone else :)

Nope, but close. (Please don't ddos me, come to my house, or kidnap me) Is that where Rowan goes? I've been trying to find where he goes now. He left the one I go to :(
I don't go there anyways, I know people who play there and that's about it.

Yveltal Maxie's shines more in expanded where energy acceleration and consistency cards exist. Yveltal Maxie's had its time to shine in standard already. It's competitiveness fell apart when night March received puzzle of time and fighting fury belt. Target whistle also keeps YZG from being allowed to discard Pokemon ex with sycamore. YZG would also be better if teammates wasn't clunky with the Maxie engine.

=)

The versions of YZG that me and my friend have been testing are more like the Quad Zoroark you're describing, just with the Gallade to cover weaknesses. I didn't say that Mega Manectric was the deck to beat at worlds, but that it is an archetype that is alive and can be used with many other cards. For example, the one I ran into at nationals used Aeigislash and Mega Manectric to deal high numbers to bigger Pokemon and then hide behind Aeigislash. The version that came top 8 at nats ran Garbodor to stop things like Vileplume (As long as they don't get the turn one or can't be lysandred.) I don't want to defend this deck, as I hate it, but I feel it's still on the table as something that could randomly pop up when we least expect it.

I do agree with you on the Quad Zoroark deck. It's very consistant and can beat Night March. Remember, the version I was trying to talk about used 4 Yveltal, for NM. I guess I should have made that clearer. XD

I also didn't say that Night March can't keep up with YZG, simply that it has a little more trouble than usual since you can stream Baby Yveltals (Depending on your build).

Don't worry, you didn't come across as mean, but please, please, do not question my testing prowess, as you are talking not just to me, but a whole testing group who are avid deck builders and know what they're doing.

Thanks, I hope I cleared up some stuff.
Yes that completely sums it up :) BTW I now understand you definetly do test then I thought you were stating that traditional YGZ tends to beat Night march I was just saying that you needed to test that more. Now since I'm aware you meant more of a quad zoroark build I understand where you are coming from sorry for any offense I simply misunderstood that you were talking about a more quad zoroark build. :)

Last edited:
Back