• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

[WIP] Frantic Frogs (Poliwrath / Politoed)

Elleh-oot

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 13

• 4 Poliwag (XY Furious Fists)
    2 Poliwhirl (XY Furious Fists)
    3 Poliwrath (XY Furious Fists)
    1 Politoed (XY Furious Fists)
    1 Greninja EX
    1 Blastoise EX (Any other water EX will do, this is mainly to stall whilst getting the Polis into play)
    1 Kyogre
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 35

• 3 Professor's Letter
    2 Switch
    2 Protection Cube
    4 Dive Ball
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Great Ball
    1 Evosoda
    1 Energy Retrieval
    1 Startling Megaphone

3 Pokemon Centre Lady
    2 Professor Birch's Observations
    2 Pokemon Fan Club
    1 Tierno
    1 Shauna
    1 Teammates

1 Rough Seas
    3 Training Arena
Energy: 12

• 10 Water Energy
    2 Double Colourless Energy

Strategy:

The idea is to get Poliwrath as active whilst Politoed is on the bench in order for Poliwrath's Steamroll to be free - as well as, if necessary, his Submission attack to cost only 2 water energy (And with no recoil, if protection cube is present). The rest of the Pokemon in the deck are mainly present for stalling purposes.

Any Dive Balls drawn should be used to get Poliwrath and Politoed into the hand (Especially as there is only 1 Politoed in the deck) and once enough Poliwags are on the bench, Rare Candies should be used (when drawn) to skip out on the wasted time in evolving via Poliwhirl (Hence there are only 2 Poliwhirl in the whole deck, and these should only be used as a last resort whenever Rare Candies aren't available).

Training Arena Should be put into play whenever possible to boost the base HP of The Poli Family, and Rough seas is only there to compensate for whatever damage the cards may take overall (Especially useful as the whole deck is water based).

The majority of Energies are only to be used as a backup plan if Politoed is prized, or faints before the maximum power has been achieved by Poliwrath

*NOTE*

I am relatively new to the TCG, and this is the first deck I've composed based on a specific strategy. I am entirely aware this deck is far from perfect, but I mainly posted it here in order to gain some helpful tips on how to make the damage per turn greater, and being able to get the Stage 2 cards up more quickly, while maintaining the theme of the Poli Family. Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the Pokemon TCG! And good choice on your deck- I love the Poli family and have been meaning to put the deck together using all the new Water support for a while. This will be a bit lengthy, so I've put it behind a spoiler tag. As you're new, I've linked all the cards I've suggested- sorry if you knew these already.

First of all, I would suggest adding a 2nd Politoed- for the reason that if one of your Politoeds is knocked out, it'll be difficult to get another back without using Sacred Ash or Lysandre's Trump Card. I would also suggest running on or two Manaphy for setup purposes- Deep Sea Swirl is great to get a new hand, and later in the game you can fish a couple of Polis out of the discard pile. Blastoise-EX isn't a terrible card, but I'd replace it with something like Suicune as it can stall EXs while you get the frogs up and running.

Secondly, I'd change quite a few of your supporters. Generally decks run 4 Professor Sycamore and 4 N but N can be very expensive unless you can trade for it. My substitute for after the next rotation will be 3 Shauna and probably 1 or 2 Professor Birch's Observations, so that may be a good lineup for you to look at. Thankfully Sycamore is a cheap card, so you should have no problems with that.

I've never liked Pokemon Centre Lady really, so you could clear her out along with Tierno to make room for more supporters. Tierno isn't necessarily a BAD card, just outclassed by other supporters. Lysandre is a staple in most decks, as it lets you pull out a card and finish it off.

I would drop your Professor's Letters to 2, maybe even 1 as your aim's going to be to attack without using energy. I'd also drop the Protection Cubes for something like Muscle Band or even Silver Bangle to up your damage. The Great Balls I would replace with Ultra Balls, and I'd also add a Sacred Ash to recycle your frogs.

Stadium-wise, Training Center is pretty ideal, though one strategy you may want to look at is using Shrine of Memories in combination with Politoed- it will let you use Poliwhirl's Finishing Blow attack if you evolve from Poliwhirl into Poliwrath, meaning you can start things going with Steamroll and finish up with Finishing Blow. However, if you use this strategy, you should consider running another Poliwhirl.

As for Energy, I'd drop about 5 Water energy to make room for some other things. It may seem excessive, but you're going to be attacking without energy for the most part, and you want the cards to get your frogs out faster.

Well I think I've covered everything...hopefully this was of some use!

I've tested a similar deck, it's better to just cut rare candy and go for a full line of the Polis. Finishing Blow is a great attack, and also run a Celebi EX, in order to maximize Your moves.

Back