Writing Winds of Time - PokéBeach CYOA - Chapter 25 - Now with a TL;DR!

RE: Winds of Time - PokéBeach CYOA

Someone should totally draw the winning character o3o
We could have like a design thing going on, if you've not already planned it? xP

Scorched Feathers said:
Someone should totally draw the winning character o3o
We could have like a design thing going on, if you've not already planned it? xP

I'm sure artwork would be welcomed for whichever character becomes the main.

If Mia wins, her name is easy to spell, at least

Omega Soul said:
btw, how long do you estimate each "Choose what to do next" section will last?

Because we've never done this kind of story before, we're going to be experimenting a little bit. If five days is too slow and there is enough interest from both the readers and writers, then we may shorten the wait. Feedback would be appreciated for sure, but since this is a new approach to writing for us, we can't really judge the durations accurately this early in the writing process. If you do ever want to suggest something, feel free to do it right here :D

I could probably whip up a sketch of Mia based on how she looks in my mind, but my drawing skills aren't the super greatest, so others are welcome to try as well, of course. :D

Twigigas first

I picked mia because I love women, and for no other reason than that.

My vote goes for Nikolas.

All the characters seem very good but I had to rule out Eirik because of being a fisherman. While I don't have anything against them, the smell of fish isn't good. Mia had to go because while I liked her for being a woman and a rough one, she only didn't ate the egg because it hatched and while I understand that, it would be wiser to just let the egg hatch, not only to domesticate what would come of it (it would require feeding but still) but also because it could turn out to be a Spheal and then she could kill it for meat and fur, more valuable than just making a boiled egg! U.U
Last but not least, being from a farming community, Nikolas should have had some knowledge or contact with Grass-Pokémon!

I'll just enjoy the show from my confortable chair! I think the writing team already has great names and I'll enjoy it more as a reader. Keep up the good work and this awesome idea. ;) Just at the last week I was thinking that I would like to see a Pokémon game where our player and our Pokémon could get armour and weapons from other Pokémon's body and having a crafting system. Imagine a Chesnaught holding one of Samurott's swords while having an extra shield made with the dead body of a Ferrothorn, while wearing a Dragonite's skull as helmet! :D

PS: I support the idea of artwoks. I just can't give any more "like" because there's apparently a limit per day! :p

I'll try drawing mia to show you what I think she will look like. oh damn you paper why you have to be downstairs...

I'm not really good at drawing, but I gave it a go. I do think I nailed the eyes, though. Here it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20140903_165540.jpg
    IMG_20140903_165540.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 48

Omega Soul said:
I'll try drawing mia to show you what I think she will look like. oh damn you paper why you have to be downstairs...

I'm not really good at drawing, but I gave it a go. I do think I nailed the eyes, though. Here it is.

I'm not judging your skill but I think that's only her look when finding the egg and imagining herself with a full stomach and fed. Now, this is what I imagine her usual self is (with a Glalie by her side):
https://fanart.tv/fanart/movies/128/movieposter/princess-mononoke-53b9b49a91eb9.jpg

Since when is Nana the main character of this story?

Leaf_Ranger said:
Omega Soul said:

I'm not judging your skill but I think that's only her look when finding the egg and imagining herself with a full stomach and fed. Now, this is what I imagine her usual self is (with a Glalie by her side):
https://fanart.tv/fanart/movies/128/movieposter/princess-mononoke-53b9b49a91eb9.jpg

I agree...partly. i mean that girl looks creepy. she would just look like i drew it, but with a serious expression.

PMJ said:
Since when is Nana the main character of this story?

It you mean San, she isn't but since Mia is from a cold region and is a hunter, it reminded me of her.

I think I've kinda got a Mia concept going, I'll have to line it though so it could take an age |'D

The people have spoken, and the final tally is in!

Mia (8): PMJ, SF, Spoons, Triangleman, QS, IA, Luis, OS
Nikolas (4): Drohn, stevenk, Muffins, L_R
Eirik (1): IE

And so, prepare yourselves for...

Chapter 1

You are Mia, a 15-year-old girl from the northern wastelands. You have long, ice blue hair usually braided and coiled at the back of your head to keep it out of your way, and a lithe but sturdy build. Your skin is pale from the lack of sunlight near your home, and you are dressed in an assortment of leathers and furs from old kills. You have been hunting since you were old enough to draw a bow or throw a spear, and you began to live on your own and care for yourself as soon as you were proficient enough to do so. Life in the north is harsh, but knowing nothing else, you never sought to complain.

As a child you once heard a neighbor reminiscing about living down in the south, where flowers blossomed in the sun, and some days it was so warm you could take your clothes off and dance about in your smallclothes. You asked your dad if you could take a trip with the sled to visit down south and see the flowers and the half-naked people, but he just shook his head sadly. “Down south is where the bad people live, people who would take your food and burn your sled and laugh. That is why we live up here now.”

Later, of course, you learned more. You learned of the Shining White City, a paradise for the more fortunate, led by a great ruler, the White Lord. You learned of the gangs of “bad people” who roamed what was left of the land, preying on the weak. Of course, not everyone outside the City could be bad or there would be no one to prey on, but it still didn’t seem like a desirable place to visit. At least not if you had a choice about the matter.

Sadly, that choice was taken from you a week ago when the storms started. You and Piplup had been working on digging out and building a shelter to protect you from the worst of the ice and wind, but the storms had blown up much earlier than usual, and with a ferocious intensity. Your home was demolished, entire trees were uprooted and tossed about you. You managed to find an emergency shelter in a small rocky cavern with Piplup, but when you emerged the following day, the entire settlement was gone. No dwellings, no signs of life at all. Not even a corpse or a blood stain, just the thick autumn snow covered by a hard layer of ice. But above the clouds were swirling, and you knew your respite wouldn’t last long.

With few other choices left, you and Piplup decided to make your way south. The cavern you hid in together was barely large enough to fit the both of you, and there was not enough time left for you to construct something new, at least not anything that would last through another storm even half as bad. You would need to get to warmer climates if you had any chance of surviving the winter, gangs or not.

With nothing more than the clothes on your back and the Pokémon at your side, you began to make the trek south, following old hunting trails. Above, a flock of Noctowl flit past overhead and your hand itched for a bow as your belly rumbled with hunger. The snow had just started to fall again when you reached the ruins of the abandoned temple near the lake. Figuring that if the ruins were unstable they would have already collapsed, you said a quick prayer and ducked inside, huddling together with Piplup for warmth for a long, uncomfortable night.

The next day, you made your way to the lakefront in hopes of finding some good branches to make a bow. After all, there was no point in trekking southwards if you would die of starvation on the way. With the tools and spare sinew in your pouch, you managed to make a serviceable bow and a few arrows, and shot down some lunch for yourself and Piplup before turning back to the south and continuing on your way.

You’ve now spent five days traveling since you left the ruins of the temple. Snow falls constantly, through the trees around you mask the worst of the wind. The tall peak of Mt. Coronet keeps you heading south, and you’re sure the worst of the weather will begin to clear up soon. During this whole time, you’ve never seen another human and very few Pokémon. The occasional Noctowl or Swinub are enough to keep your belly from hurting, but the cold and constant movement saps your strength and energy, and even a fire at the end of the day is never enough to make you feel anything close to warm.

Finally at the end of the fifth day, the snow has cleared and the forest is thinning, so you can see a bit of your surroundings. Mt. Coronet is still ahead to the south, but the mountains are already climbing to the west. Wind blowing from the east brings the scent of salt on the wind reminding you that the sea is there, even though you can’t see it yet. Directly ahead of you is the most interesting sight, however: a village. Not much of one, to be sure, just a few buildings clustered together at the edge of the forest, but it’s the first time you’ve seen any sign of civilization since the first ice storm. Would these people be peaceful, or would they be a part of the gangs you’ve heard about? There’s no good way to judge from a distance, and your mouth puckers slightly as you debate which way to go.

Well, where are you going to go?

A) Walk up to the village

B) Go west into the mountains

C) Head east to the shore

Cast your votes!

Since it seems most people were able to read and post their choices within 3 days, this time voting will be open until Sunday, September 7th, though don’t expect the update to be posted quite as quickly. After all, I did have time to prepare this chapter over the last couple days. :p

RE: Winds of Time - PokéBeach CYOA - Chapter 1

Leaf_Ranger said:
It you mean San, she isn't but since Mia is from a cold region and is a hunter, it reminded me of her.

...what?

I vote walk up to the village. If they're hostile, we're dead, and if we don't get out of the cold, we're dead anyway. Might as well roll the dice and try to get somewhere warm.

Quite interested to see what the village has to offer, but there is a chance of running into one of the gangs.

I'm going to choose the safe route for now and pick head east to the shore.

Athena said:
Down south is where the bad people live, people who would take your food and burn your sled and laugh.

These guys just sound like typical firebreather douchebags. But if they like to burn things then my knowledge of Pokemon tells me they have fire Pokemon for Piplup to destroy. Let's walk up to the village.

Aaah Mia sounds awesomeee
I think it's best we walk up to the village, I mean, they may be friendly, right? Right?

Let's head into the village and see what can we find.

I say we Go west into the mountains. mia would do some awesome stuff there.

I say walk up to the village. What if Mia's village abandoned her and quickly fled south :O ?

Walk up to the village

If there's a village, there's bound to be something, either food, materials or even a Pkball with Pokémon...or treasures! That said, the village might be dangerous so Mia should scout a bit around it and sneak in!

The shore may not have fish, water might not be drinkable (salty water isn't for sure) and sand is useless unless for making sandbags. As for the mountains, they would require some effort.

Btw, SEE!? Good thing the egg hatched because it's a Piplup and if she finds that Prinplup may be too hard to kill, she can now have a great and warm Piplup cap, some food and use Piplup's claws and beak/feet as arrowheads (if sharpened). U.U

PMJ said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

...what?
(...)

Weren't you refering to the female character that's with the wolves!? If so, isn't her name San?

Back