Writing Winds of Time - PokéBeach CYOA - Chapter 25 - Now with a TL;DR!

RE: Winds of Time - PokéBeach CYOA - Chapter 10

I suggest B, she can go to A once she has done.

I'd go with B on this one. Mia may have Ralts, but she has not trained it yet. Let's not forget she is also tied to a chair in the darkness, so if she were to start a fight, she wouldn't be able to fight back.

Just reiterating this message: from chapter 9/10 on, your choices will play more defining roles in how this story plays on! It's going to get much more interesting, as you can probably see :p We have no idea what path this will take, but we have an idea of the next chapter and how the consequences will affect it!

Also, the voting deadline should probably be either the 28th or 29th, not the 25th, so everyone can still vote! :D

Athena said:
Also, the voting deadline should probably be either the 28th or 29th, not the 25th, so everyone can still vote! :D

Well I mean the next Tuesday October 25th is in 2022 - I think having such a far-away deadline might provide some lengthy, thought-out answers.

Assuming I can just drop in and vote out-of-the-blue, I think option B might be nice here. Listening to a guy who wants to talk should be good... right? (Also yeah short answer even though we have until 2022 to vote ssshhhh)

I'm so sorry about the mishap, everyone! I just copied the formatting from the last chapter and forgot to change it. I was wondering why there weren't as many votes! In exchange, I'm extending the period until 10/30 :p

I also want to say that I like reading your brief explanations! It's fun seeing how you think things will plan out.

Crap, I made a post earlier and didn't send it. -.-

Let's go B

Ps.: Funny how, when writing, the vote looks like this:

Code:
[b]B[/b]

Turtwig said:
I'm so sorry about the mishap, everyone! I just copied the formatting from the last chapter and forgot to change it. I was wondering why there weren't as many votes! In exchange, I'm extending the period until 10/30 :p

I also want to say that I like reading your brief explanations! It's fun seeing how you think things will plan out.

Do our opinions affect the story at all, or is it more like a guessing game?

Luispipe8 said:
Crap, I made a post earlier and didn't send it. -.-

Let's go B

Ps.: Funny how, when writing, the vote looks like this:

Code:
[b]B[/b]

Thanks for typing bold B in code, made it easier for me to vote. Copy/paste ftw. :D

B

Guess we get to talk to him anyway. Awesome! He doesn't seem like a threat right now. We can hear him out. I'm sure that Mia is smart enough to grab Ralts if she's in real trouble, but I'd rather avoid fighting with just Ralts right now.

Great chapter! Looking forward to the next ones.

The opinions are more just a nice commentary for the "what if" scenes that may / may not come true. Sometimes I use your opinions to manipulate the chapter so it appeals to you, but most of the time I just like to see what's going on in your mind. If someone comes up with a really good plot point in a comment, then I take it into consideration when writing for sure. So to tl;dr your question, sometimes :p

Everyone has the same idea, i'd just rather be aggressive first than later.

Chapter 11

“If there is any trace of humanity left in you, hear me out!” the words rang in your head, echoing among the silence that follows between you and the six-foot tall tower of a man that stands before you. With a sigh, you let go of your panicked thoughts and the pokeball, your only weapon against this ominous man.

“That’s better.” His voice is calmer now, particularly soothing considering the sheer bulk of this man and the power he commands.

You’re reminded of the ropes that bound you to the chair and how they constrict you so tightly it’s a bit of a trouble to breathe. “Speaking of humanity, how humane is it to tie a girl to a chair for a conversation?”

“Glad to see you still have a sense of humor in a situation like this,” He remarked with a chuckle. “But I’m here to talk about something less so humorous, a little more serious.”

“Like what?” You call out instinctively, impatience is littered over the tone of your voice and Z makes note of that as he pauses to gather his thoughts.

“Have you ever heard of a Shining City? A city of light perched upon a mountain, a select few chosen would get to live a life apart from the rest. A better life, while the others set apart from these special few would fend for themselves and eventually wither out and die, purged; and once the world, through the strifes of war, hatred, and self-loath have finally become desolate… These people, these chosen few would instead remain.”

“Why?” You ask the man, peculiar of the description until you remember the chat you had with Nikolas a while ago. Could it be the same Shining City?

“This is only a plan of the leader who calls himself the White Lord. He wages war with humanity, although by passive action with this Shining City, its light even poses its superiority over the areas it surrounds.”

“If he’s such a threat, why don’t you just go take him down?” you say bluntly.

“I’ve tried several times. In fact, he delivered the first blow on me. But anyway, I need you to--”

“What did he do to you?” you stare at him with a certain ferocity in your eyes.

“I’m sure you already know the answer,” he sighs, shifting his eyes downward. “I guess I can tell you a little bit about myself. Before everything changed, I was a politician, a businessman, a success. I was engaged, I was the representative of Canalave City, and I had an approval rating higher than any other man I’ve known. I was down-to-earth. Truthful, even. I was becoming the face of Sinnoh,” he smiles as he thinks about what could have been.

“What are politicians? My tribe had a chief, but he fought his way into that position. I have a feeling this is different.”

“I represented my people. I spoke against the City, spoke of how I would exploit its lies upon reelection. That made me the next target. Plotting against him is illegal. One night, after going on a nice date with...with a wonderful lady, we were ambushed. We were walking home in the dark, right after a meal, you see, and three men jumped out of the unseeable and began slicing at us with knives. I had a few scratches on my neck and palms, but they were not severe. After I had scared two of them away, the last one sliced up my chest and knocked me to the ground. I was on my hands and knees, and I looked over to my fiancee and saw her lifeless body. They killed the love of my life,” he solemnly whispers, closing his eyes.

“That doesn’t explain why you quit your job,” you remind him.

“That next day, I was charged with homicide and attempt at suicide. I had to flee. My career was over, my future was over, my identity was over. Don’t you see? The Shining City isn’t what it seems to be.”

You, still tied up by the ropes, sit there with some confused expression on your face. Why is this man pouring his heart out to you, telling you his whole life story? What’s the purpose of this whole entire conversation?

“So how does this all involve me? Who are you, anyway?”

The strong man puts his index finger and thumb around the beginning of the bridge of his nose. He closes his eyes briefly, pauses, and continues speaking. As he regurgitates the few sentences about the city, you catch words like “help” and “rebellion” scattered throughout his monologue. You know this approach all too well by now.

“You want me to help you, don’t you?”

“That is the common denominator in all of this: help. You defeated that boy a couple towns back. You have a Pokedex journey ahead of you. You collect Pokemon and don’t feed on them. You are fitting for the role. You can join my rebellion group. There are several of us that live in random places on either side of Mt. Coronet, and a few work in secrecy in the town itself. What do you say?”

You think for a moment. Last time you helped Rex, you could have gotten Piplup endangered. With Professor Rowan, you had to deal with a sick Pokemon and a tough choice. When battling those Ralts, you almost got into trouble with those men and then Ralts itself. What are you going to do? Well, you barely hesitate to say….

“No.”

The man crinkles his face and furrows his brow. “No? What kind of answer is that? Do you even care?”

“I have no inclination to help. I have been through enough. I have a Pokedex journey to complete and I would rather save Pokemon than destroy society. Take your own rebel group and go get murdered without me,” you bark.

The man slowly shakes his head. “There are two kinds of people in this world: those who fight for a future and those who dwell in the present. Which are you?”

He then calls out into the darkness and leaves for a brief second. You are now alone in the darkness once again, and panicking once more.

“Hey, come back and face me, you coward!” you scream before grabbing the Pokeball in the slightly open pocket. You begin to drag it out until the atmosphere suddenly changes.

The familiar powder from before begins to take up the surrounding air. You hold your breath and then relax back into your chair in defeat. The powder sweeps into your nose and your vision slowly blurs. The last image you see is the mysterious man carrying a larger brown sack of some sort. Your head rolls against the chair’s side and you fall into a deep slumber.

It’s cold. You find yourself alone, again, under the streetlight of Sandalstraw once again. Piplup is nowhere to be seen. Z is completely gone. You walk beyond the lamp post and enter the darkness, the void, the unknown. You lose track of your feet and only see a few dim lights on in the sporadic apartment. Where...where are you?

You walk onward. A harsh bang, like something hitting a metal garbage can, rattles the silent, cool air. A small shiver travels up from the lumbar region your spine up through to the cervical vertebrae, and then straight into the mind. You twist your shoulders and tense up your neck as it rises. Your hair feels as if it’s standing on end. Somewhere in the distance, probably in one of the alleyways, you hear a screeching meow of some sort. It’s probably just a Pokemon...But you continue to walk at a faster pace. Behind you, a steady tapping can be heard on the concrete sidewalk; you can hear the calm, patient walk. You stop walking. The sound stops. You take a step, then two, then start the pace over again. The tapping continues. Your pace turns into a run. You sprint onward, in the darkness, not sure where to go. Piplup is gone. Nikolas is gone. This crazy man has abducted you, and maybe he’s running after you. You don’t know what to think. You keep running until you get to another street light.

You put your back to the pole and circle your gaze around three hundred and sixty degrees. Nothing is there. You listen. Silence. You look up at the buildings above and, on the rooftops, you see little lights, like spotlights, dancing in the sky. What is going on? Are they signalling someone? You see, shining in one of the lower lights, the hotel you stayed at earlier. You made it. You’re only about five buildings away. You start running in desperation, in utter fright, when an arm grasps your elbow. The hand is cold on your tan skin, colder than the surrounding air. The fingers dig into your skin like a million nails being hammered into the corner of your arm. Your muscle tenses and you yelp out. You sense millions of possible scenarios going through your head, taunting you with the most extreme of deaths. You grab the wrist and arm and sling it to your center, causing a figure to fall over against your feet.

“Get off me!” you scream.

“I was just going to give you your Piplup back, sheesh!” a familiar boy smiles in the near-darkness.

You exhale. It’s just Nikolas. It isn’t Z. Nikolas leans up against you with his arms cradled and gently moves a sleeping Piplup into your arms. Piplup is fine, unharmed, not sick, not in pain. You thank the boy and offer him a place to stay, possibly in the floor of your hotel room.

“Nah, I’m good. I think I’ll sleep under the stars again tonight. Chimmy and I can cook up a fire if it gets cold. Would you like to join us?”

You think about it but shake your head. “I’ve had a long, terrible night. I’ll tell you about it tomorrow. I just want a warm bed to sleep in with my two Pokemon.”

The boy shrugs. “Suit yourself,” he says, and turns around with a bag slung against his shoulder.

You smile and turn away, now only about two buildings away from the hotel. You walk up to the doorway and glance back at Nikolas. His figure is barely visible in the near darkness, but the lights that have suddenly appeared have helped. You think about that for a moment and then notice the spotlights above moving into one place...above, a weird sound can be heard. One of the lights shines down on Nikolas, who shields his face with his eyes in response.

“I found ‘im!” someone screams from the rooftop.

What’s going on? What has Nikolas done? You hide behind the corner of the building and glance at your friend, who is now the center of nearly five different lights. The sound from above sports a sixth light, one that reaches the same destination, and then a very long rope ladder of sorts rolls down from the sky.

“Nikolas, we’ve got you this time! You are under arrest for the suspicion of terrorist acts towards the Shining White City! Put your hands up and get on your knees!” shouts a voice, projected by some instrument, from above. About four of the men climb down the ladder and get around Nikolas in a square. The poor boy is shaking, tears welling up in his eyes, with his hands planted against the back of his head.

Your friend is in trouble, your Pokemon is asleep, and Ralts has little-to-no-experience as it is. The options are swirling through your brain. You immediately think to what that mysterious man had said before:

“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who fight for a future and those who dwell in the present. Which are you?”

Well, PB, which kind are you? Are you going to…..

A) Challenge these men and attempt to save your friend.
B) Run out of town and keep your name clean
C) Rethink the offer made by Z and give him a chance (meaning to go join Z and save Nikolas later)

Whatever you choose, PB, something is going to happen. There will always be a *safe* choice, but the safety may only lead to another issue (actually, it probably will!). Think carefully.

Happy Halloween! I hope the last few paragraphs were a good thrill! You have until Monday, November 3rd to make your decision! It may be your last….

Also, I just want to credit Fancy for some of the parts of this chapter because he helped write and give ideas for this just as much as I did. Thanks, Fancy!

RE: Winds of Time - PokéBeach CYOA - Chapter 11

A. We cannot just abandon Nick - he is a friend, something Mia needs.

C. Getting involved in this at the moment is a bad idea IMO but I don't like the idea of just running either.

A. B will probably lead to a different tragic event happening, and C will... I dunno.

I'm also voting A!

I'm thinking C might be the smarter choice, but I'd rather try to help him now. The two of them might join Z if they escape from this group. Since Nikolas was already accused of rebelling against the city, I think he'd join too (if he's not in the group already).

Great chapter! I'm both excited and scared for the next chapter now.

Back