Collecting Will the Success of Pokémon Go Affect the Value of Cards?

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
Just something I came to think about earlier today.

Pokemon Go has apparently become super popular, clocking in at more daily users than sites such as Facebook and Twitter (as of the past few days). The popularity will obviously fade out in a couple of weeks, but as of now Pokemon is at it's most popular since the late 90's / early 2000's.

With this renewed interest in the franchise, do you think that cards from older sets will go up in value? Seeing as the main playerbase for Pokemon Go are adults who seek to revisit some childhood memories?

Gut says yes, though more of a short-term thing that long-term. I've already seen a decent number of posts of people "getting back into Pokémon" as a result of Go and asking about values of old cards and such, with a focus on WotC era, Base Set and the like. Whether these people will actually put their money into it is another matter, but some of the ones with money to blow will probably stir up the market a bit. It'll probably be good for Generations card sales as well, since those are a bit more prevalent and also feature the "nostalgic" Kanto Pokémon.

There should be a short term increase in the value of Pokemon cards.

Pokemon Video Games are going on an insane price increase right now following Pokemon Go as fans return to the series. Sales figures for the Gen 1 games in cartridge form are topping Amazon lists.

After I played pokemon go I immediately went out and bought like 9 small packs of cards to start collecting. Havent ripped open a pack of pokemon cards since the earl 2000`s and it feels good to be doing it again!

From what I've seen so far, cards are going up in value a bit. However, Pokemon Go will eventually die down in popularity and I expect prices for games, cards, etc. to go down too.

There should be a short term increase in the value of Pokemon cards.

Pokemon Video Games are going on an insane price increase right now following Pokemon Go as fans return to the series. Sales figures for the Gen 1 games in cartridge form are topping Amazon lists.

Gen 1 pokemon are the best. They all know it haha. I found pokemon tcg online because of pokemon go. Having a blast.

Returned with pokemon go. Now pokemon tcg is all I play.

One thing mtg made me quit was hard access to the deck staples (dual lands). In ptcg, however, almost every trainer card is easy to get. That is one of the reasons I plan to stay.

Back