BW/BW2 Will A Japanese Pokemon Black And White Work On An American Dsi (UPD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Dragon

Aspiring Trainer
will a japanese pokemon black and white work on an american nintendo dsi because play asia said that some japanese games won't work on an american dsi so anyone or for those of you who already pre orderd the games from japan, will they work on an american dsi or any ds please help me out.

UPD1: I am thinking about buying pokemon black from japan, until they are released in the united states then i will be buying both but have any of u bought the games from play asia and definatly know they will work on any ds.

RE: Will A Japanese Pokemon Black And White Work On An American Dsi

I thought DS games weren't region locked right from the start? o.o

They aren't region locked. It should be working fine I guess.

Edit: Unless they really don't work on a DSi for some reason?

no i got a message from play asia 2 .. they dont work on english dsi you need a ds lite
and it should work fine with the ds lite.. i had to go buy a ds lite just so i could play the game when i get it the 20 or 21 -_-

Imported games no longer work on the DSi? Are you sure? I've imported Soul Silver and Jump Ultimate stars and they work fine on my American DSi, that's messed up if they just started region locking the games. o_O

I don't see why they would region lock it..it doesn't seem to make sense..it's the just the same game in a different language! 0_0

The games have a DSi exclusive feature, which is why they are region locked for DSi's and DSi XL's.

Actually according to what I've heard if it requires a DSi to play it then it's region locked, such as the DSiWare and DSi Exclusive games. If it is capable of running on the older DS and DS Lite, it's region free, which is exactly what B/W are.

pokeaqua748 said:
no i got a message from play asia 2 .. they don't work on english dsi you need a ds lite
and it should work fine with the ds lite.. i had to go buy a ds lite just so i could play the game when i get it the 20 or 21 -_-

are you sure about this, the games will work on an american ds lite but not dsi

NO! it won't work on an american DSi. I just made a thread asking the same thing this morning lol.

But it will work on a normal DS/ DS lite.

Truth is, it could go either way.
Most evidence points to it working 100% on a DS Lite (obviously minus the DSi only features)

However, there's actually no way of knowing if it works on a foreign DSi - naturally DSi features are part of it, but the simple act of being "DSi enhanced" means it could, for stupid legal reasons or whatever, be entirely locked on a foreign DSi.
Of course, there's a chance it won't be - it's pokemon after all.

My advice would be to cancel your pre-order if your only way of playing it is a non-japanese DSi. Wait for confirmation as to whether it does work or not, and order again if you still want it. Play-Asia had "No Region Protection" before, but it has now updated it to a little warning message, meaning you might find it hard to get a refund if it doesn't work.

I Went Through The Same Thing I Had To Buy A Japanese DSi LL (Green), i Asked PlayAsia this In August And they Told Me I had To Buy A DSi LL Or A DSi (Japanese) or a DS Or DS Lite.

I got an email from play asia the other day, and they said... some copies of the game can work on American DSi and DSi XL's. It all depends on the luck of the game you get, i pre ordered both in japanese to. And i wanna use my DSi to play, not my Phat >.> Its completly random if you get a game usable on DSi or unusable. I would get a lite or a phat if u dont have one if you have ordered these games, just to make sure you can play it. Or completly go all out and get a japanese DSi.

They said it has a region block thingy. So, How come it can compatible on DSi? I don't know too. Maybe it can, Perhaps, Depend on how lucky you are. As for me, I just wait until the USA version come out.

Or ya know, ignore what i just said xD. They said some work, and some dont. It all depends on if you get one that does work on DSi or dosent.
Here, just take a look at the email they sent me.

MY email from Play Asia:
According to the official website, Pokemon Black / White include DSi enhanced features and we know from our experience that some other games sporting DSi Enhance functions are region locked on DSi systems. However, there is no firm rule on it.

Please understand that we are not able to accept returns due to region lock issues. We are sending you this email to keep you informed and to ask you to make a decision based on this information.

First off, if you have a Nintendo DS or DS Lite Console from any region then there should be no problem

However, if you have a Non-Japanese DSi / DSi XL console then the title might not work at all on your console or the DSi Enhanced features might not work. Please keep in mind, in worst case, you will have a situation where you cannot play the game you bought.

End of Email

With the keyword here being might, its possible that your copy can work on your American DSi or DSi XL.

Actually, it's not that some individual copies will work and some won't; it's that there's no way of knowing whether these game titles (all of their production line, now until forever) will be compatible or not until they've received copies to test. So they "might" work just in the sense that Pokemon Black/White may be manufactured as DSi multi-region compatible or may not be, depending on what Nintendo/Gamefreak decides to do, and Playasia (or any retailer) has no way of knowing what decision was made until the games are out. But, when they are, all copies will have the exact same level of compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back