Discussion Why is Gardevoir so hard to play? Even with good starts, I still lose.

Seastrome

Aspiring Trainer
3-6 recently with the deck but with Golisopod i'm like 17-8. I think what that says is that Golisopod is just the better deck this format?

Gardevoir is the easiest tier 1 deck to play. All you have to do is get Gardevoirs out and you're doing it

Yeah. very difficult to accomplish in my experience.
Adding to the above, are you also using Diancie and/or Alolan Vulpix to get your Pokemon set up? Are you running Octillery or Oranguru for backup draw support?

We need to see your take on the deck to be sure.

Adding to the above, are you also using Diancie and/or Alolan Vulpix to get your Pokemon set up?

Yep, I brigette, get Alolan Vulpix, Remoraid, and Ralts. Then I retreat with energy, Beacon, grab Octillery and Kirlia, etc. I lose because I need multiple turns to get a Gardevoir out as I just can't get a Candy/Gardevoir. It's just too slow. But I'm just a noob so what do I know? I make the right plays and still lose because my opponents draw all the outs.

Yep, I brigette, get Alolan Vulpix, Remoraid, and Ralts. Then I retreat with energy, Beacon, grab Octillery and Kirlia, etc. I lose because I need multiple turns to get a Gardevoir out as I just can't get a Candy/Gardevoir. It's just too slow. But I'm just a noob so what do I know? I make the right plays and still lose because my opponents draw all the outs.
It would be a better idea to use Diancie instead as it has more HP to survive some early-game attacks long enough for you to evolve your Pokemon. It might not be a bad idea to include some Float Stones so you don't waste your energy attachment on a retreat to put Diancie in the active.

How about you post a list because Gardevoir doesn't have trouble getting a gardevoir out by turn 2-3

How about you post a list because Gardevoir doesn't have trouble getting a gardevoir out by turn 2-3

my list is the same ones you see that top regionals. I am just not getting set up or drawing cards to get the Gardevoirs out. Idk what else to tell you really. And I know it's nothing to do with me because I can't really control what I draw into off of cards. I do the Beacon play, etc but struggle to get the Gardevoirs out as I need the Rare Candy to get them out but I whiff them.

my list is the same ones you see that top regionals. I am just not getting set up or drawing cards to get the Gardevoirs out. Idk what else to tell you really. And I know it's nothing to do with me because I can't really control what I draw into off of cards. I do the Beacon play, etc but struggle to get the Gardevoirs out as I need the Rare Candy to get them out but I whiff them.
LOL.

You're just making excuses. It is defintely you. Blaming all of your loses on the deck drawing bad is literally what a scrub would say. Do you honestly think that a deck list that tops regionals is just magically a bad deck that can't draw into ways to get Gardevoir out? What's the difference between when a good player pilots a deck to top 8 and when you play an identical deck list but lose all the time? It's not the deck.

It's just you.

The fact that you unironically used the word "scrub" says a lot about you.
Yes Gardevoir is the best deck in the format, but it is a stage 2 deck, Metagross has the same problem, and sometimes they brick.

To be fair to the deck 3-6 isn't a huge sample size. Not to mention if you've literally only played 9 games with it, you probably don't have enough experience with it to make optimal decisions every turn. I mean it is a stage 2 deck so setting up isn't always easy. After you've played with it more I bet you'll feel more comfortable with it.

I used to have a 80% win percentage with the deck online and I so I took it to a league cup, where I went 2-3. Since then, I have been in a tail spin ever since. You call me a scrub but you don't know what hands I had when I lost and I can tell you that I am struggling to get Gardevoirs out until turn 4 at the soonest. I lost to a Ho-Oh and Golisopod deck in the League Cup because they just kept using Float stones, Guzma, to take out every Ralts, Kirlia I had and I couldn't hit a Rare Candy Gardevoir.

I don't have much issue setting up with Golisopod but it's a stage 1. I never said it was a bad deck so keep putting words in my mouth. I just said I'm not doing well with it and I don't think it's me because I was winning with high percentage over a 60 game stretch so i'm not unfamiliar with the deck.

Simple. Stop making bad plays and start predicting their knockouts. Search for 2 raltz and a vulpix turn 1 so u have a better chance of gardy turn 2

Simple. Stop making bad plays and start predicting their knockouts. Search for 2 raltz and a vulpix turn 1 so u have a better chance of gardy turn 2

Tried that play too, doesn't matter. One gets knock out, I whiff Rare Candy/Garde turn 2, second one gets knocked out because my opponents always have Guzmas back to back. It sucks trying to get this deck set up. And when I'm not whiffing the set up, i'm whiffing energies when I really need it. It's why I consider Golisopod the better deck. It gives Gardevoir a tough time and is easier/more consistent to set up.

I here u. I encourage everyone to play their own style of a deck. Sorry if u have bad luck with a deck you should switch. I don't think many people would brick turn 2 after a sycamore or skyla for rare candy. Gardy is the best deck because it's twilight vs attack beats garbador and it one shots fire

Part of your problem may be that there are all kinds of ways to counter Gardevoir and every single person is getting to the point that they are familiar with them. Since it has been touted as the BDIF by almost everyone, every deck that anyone makes has the concept of how-to-beat-Garde baked in. That doesn't mean that it's a bad deck. But it does mean that it's tougher to play than it was a month ago.

So, in my experience, top tier decks are either super easy or super hard to play. Gardevoir is more of the latter. Being a stage 2 deck, it takes a while to get up and running, and, as stated above, people are finding all sorts of ways to counter it. One of the hardest parts of playing any game is learning the process of meta-gaming, or, simply put, trying to find out what your opponent thinks what you are going to do, and trying to work around that. You just have to tweak things here and there to find out what works.

Part of your problem may be that there are all kinds of ways to counter Gardevoir and every single person is getting to the point that they are familiar with them. Since it has been touted as the BDIF by almost everyone, every deck that anyone makes has the concept of how-to-beat-Garde baked in. That doesn't mean that it's a bad deck. But it does mean that it's tougher to play than it was a month ago.

And what would that be? Tapu Koko promo?

Back