Why Is Ditto (BCR) Considered a Good Starter?

Jeremy1026

Aspiring Trainer
I've seen a few times people say that Ditto is a good starter, but I just don't see it. What makes that card a good starter? Is it just because it is an extra card that takes away a chance for a mulligan?

108-ditto.jpg

It fills spots, so you can have 56 cards in your deck. It is very useful for Flareon also. I wouldn't say it's any good due to the abundance of Fighting decks but it certainly isn't bad.

But you still need the Eevee to get to the Flareon. So it really is just a space filler? I feel like I'd rather put a couple more search trainers into my deck, or even chance trainers like Roller Skates.

Jeremy1026 said:
But you still need the Eevee to get to the Flareon. So it really is just a space filler? I feel like I'd rather put a couple more search trainers into my deck, or even chance trainers like Roller Skates.

Remember that Flareon adds 10 damage for each Pokémon in your discard pile, so having ditto really speeds that up. And back then Landorus wasn't a huge threat so Ditto was never Knocked Out turn 1. Right now all it really does is fill space, but in the right place it can be very nice.

In addition to Ditto's usefulness in a Flareon deck, it can also help as a "placeholder" for any evolving basic. This is why some consider it to be a good starter. It's kind of a "fifth copy" of a key Pokemon in your deck. Let's say you're running a deck like Blastoise, where you need your Stage 2 out as fast as possible, but you don't have Squirtle or an Ultra Ball in your opening hand. Benching Ditto sort of gives you a "free turn" to get a Squirtle" when a Pokemon enters play via Transform, its game state is carried over from Ditto, which was already in play during your last turn. Therefore, that Squirtle you put on top od Ditto on turn two evole right away. While that does sound like fun, it's not that common of a tactic since it's easier to play more search cards to get your basiscs out on turn 1. I have never seen Ditto used in a competitive game outside of Flareon, but you are more than welcome to try any strategy you'd like. :D

It could also work with Milotic (Flash Fire) to get energy onto EXes. Put Ditto down, use Milotic, and then transform into an EX.

I don't think it's that great of a card, but only because the format is full of broken cards who's uses are obvious. Ditto is one of those cards that I looked at and thought "huh? How is that useful?" before realizing that it does have uses.

Unless I'm missing something wouldn't that just allow you to place down squirtle and immediately evolve it to wartortle. I haven't heard that it allows you to evolve straight to a stage 2, I mean you could run a rare candy but you could also do that without the ditto unless that would allow you to run rare candy on the same turn.

mute2 said:
Unless I'm missing something wouldn't that just allow you to place down squirtle and immediately evolve it to wartortle. I haven't heard that it allows you to evolve straight to a stage 2, I mean you could run a rare candy but you could also do that without the ditto unless that would allow you to run rare candy on the same turn.

With Ditto, if it's been in play for one turn, you can play Squirtle down on top of the Ditto using Ditto's Ability, and then in the same turn, play Rare Candy to evolve that Squirtle into Blastoise.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I don't think Ditto is very good right now simply because it's too easily donked by the likes of Landorus / Lucario + Strong Energy / Muscle Band. Things with Fighting Weakness are inherently not very good as starters in this format.

Back