Discussion Why has Yveltal Fallen Off?

Cobaccc

Aspiring Trainer
I'm looking to build a second deck, to go along with my Primal Groudon deck. I was looking into Yveltal, as I've always found the concept appealing. But it seems that the deck has fallen off quite strongly, and I haven't seen much about it lately. I was wondering why this is? Is there a likelyhood of the deck making a comeback? Just unsure whether the deck is worth the investment.

The deck had really fallen apart since the deck was getting slow. Why do I say was? Lysandre's Trump Card has just been banned, which prevents turbo engines that Yveltal struggles against. Because of the ban, I am predicting an increase in Yveltal. I also think another contributing factor is the fact that the damage output does not really reach the standards needed to 1-hit KO Megas. However, it should be noted that we may get [D] support in the upcoming site, so I wouldn't make too many judgements just yet :)

The banning of Lysandres Trump Card is what made me consider the deck. I have a feeling it might make a comeback. What are currently the most viable variations of the build? I have seen heaps of options, but being new(ish) to the game I don't quite know what the best options are.

Would a build something like my current Groudon deck work? Running 4 Wobbuffet to stall out until I have enough energy, or is there a faster, more consistant way to do it? I want to stay away from Toad if possible.

Yveltel/Toad could actually be a decent deck. People are expecting Toad to fall off so playing it may catch people off guard.

I think I've managed to find stuff I need to build Yveltal/Toad. Such a hard call to make - Its a pretty big gamble. What are the pros and cons of the today in TODAYS meta? Also, the meta that we're likely to see soon.

Yveltal will pull through this. The deck has a track record of adapting to new formats and doing well in spite of everything that appears to counter it. Even Raichu and Manectric have only put small dampers on Yveltal's successes, and the ban of LTC will only help it. Seismitoad still has a strong place at the bird's side, and despite Night March and Rayquaza being troublesome matchups, I think it will perform as strong as ever. The deck's main inhibitor as of late were disruption decks like Seismitoad and Eggs, but with these decks crippled, Yveltal is sure to climb it's way back up the totem pole.

I feel Manectric/M Manectric with Head Ringers, Xerosic, Enhanced Hammers and Garbodor will help Yveltal.

Yveltel/Toad could actually be a decent deck. People are expecting Toad to fall off so playing it may catch people off guard.

I don't think many experienced players are expecting Toad to fall off completely.

Decks like Toadpuff and Toad-Shaymin are probably gone. But I don't think anyone rules out other quad toad decks (e.g. Toad-bats or Toad-Crawdaunt). Certainly no one thinks that decks that use a thin Toad line to stall while setting up will be affected.

I feel Manectric/M Manectric with Head Ringers, Xerosic, Enhanced Hammers and Garbodor will help Yveltal.

Yeah, I think Manectric is going to be strong now. It doesn't like Landorus decks, but against Groudon it can do okay if it ties them up with Head Ringers and stacks on the damage with assault laser before the Groudon deck can get going.

So I've looked into Manectric and it seems like a lot of fun. Do you think Manectric would make Yveltal strong enough to consider playing? I really just the love the card, and Im happy to run whatever to make it work.

Yveltal randomly fell off because of the many counters to it.
Shaymin/Toad
Wobbufett Groudon (Give it enough turns man)
Manectric Rough Seas
V/G

And the deck is so tempo based. You either need to item lock or speed your game up ASAP, which it couldn't do after a while.
Poor Yveltal,

So I've looked into Manectric and it seems like a lot of fun. Do you think Manectric would make Yveltal strong enough to consider playing? I really just the love the card, and Im happy to run whatever to make it work.
Oh, Yveltal/Mega-Manectric/Head Ringer is certainly not an unheard of combination! It certainly makes mirrors better, as well as Rayquaza decks. IT also allows for the chance of a big Yveltal sweep, or to get back into the game after locks on energy, or a big Yveltal being taken down. If you do run the combo, though, you'd need to consider what other cards you keep, as a 2-2 or 3-3 + 2/3 links makes 6-9 cards you need to add to the variant.

I'm looking to build a second deck, to go along with my Primal Groudon deck. I was looking into Yveltal, as I've always found the concept appealing. But it seems that the deck has fallen off quite strongly, and I haven't seen much about it lately. I was wondering why this is?
IMO, Yveltal EX's declining use can be contributed to players' increased usage of Raichu and M Manectric EX/Manectric EX. Yveltal EX based decks are just not as popular as before amid the "many" current Raichu and Manectric EX based decks.

Is there a likelyhood of the deck making a comeback? Just unsure whether the deck is worth the investment.
When you analyze Yveltal EX's capabilities, it is still one of the best attackers in the game, IMO. I also think that it remains viable in certain decks too. Given the release of the Roaring Skies set and the ban of LTC, the game evolved. So too must Yveltal EX decks.

I was thinking. Wasn't Yveltal EX one of the best attackers pre Phantom Forces? The most obvious reason is that Manectric EX got released. But Phantom Forces also led to the rise of Mega EX cards in general. It seems like Yveltal EX's damage output is perfect for dealing OHKO's to regular EX cards, but has a much harder time OHKO'ing Mega EX's. Because of this, maybe the next evolution in the Yveltal EX deck needs to include AT Banette to block Spirit Links and PRC Ninetails to ensure it keeps a Shadow Circle in play. Because while the meta is shifting to powered up Mega EX's, their basic EX cards are not nearly as strong as Yveltal EX.

Edit: I meant to say the non AT Banette.

Last edited:
I mainly play the TCG Online, but I still have a great deal of success with my Fairy/Yveltal deck with Aromatisse and Fairy Garden where I attach energies with geomancy (or to malamar) and then move the majority of them to yveltal (or malamar!). I run a couple dark energies and a few rainbow.

IMO, Yveltal worked for a few reasons
  • In older formats, it could be pretty fast. With two attachments you could Evil Ball, and you were hitting for 60 minimum, 80 if you could attach a DCE. With muscle bands and opponent's energy and so on, it wasn't unheard of to get 100 or so on your second turn... laserbank too that to 130. It was a lot of early pressure.
  • It was great for conserving energy. If you couldn't get the 1HKO and leaving it up there was risky, you could Y Cyclone. As long as you had another energy you could be pretty sure of getting the KO the next turn. And you were developing your bench. The ability to stream attackers and develop your bench is one of the most important features of any deck.
  • The power of Evil Ball- 1HKOs were very possible, especially when people charged up a big Pokemon, and you had laserbank.
  • Great typing. Electric hasn't been a force for some time, but fighting has been a continued presence. So you weren't hit for weakness that often, but your resistance was a factor frequently. Of course you weren't hitting for weakness that often, but that wasn't really a big deal, you were getting the 1HKOs and 2HKOs you needed.
Most of these have changed a bit
  • The format has speeded up a bit- Yveltal's speed and early pressure isn't quite as impressive
  • The basic energy conserving play does still work, granted. Although what really makes it effective is that after two turns your opponent's EX is trashed and your bench is better developed. If you didn't KO the opponent's active it's not quite as good.
  • Evil Ball isn't as powerful or as likely to get the 1HKos and 2HKOs now there are megas
  • The typing advantage is gone. Electric started to be quite common because of Night March, and now Rayquaza has pushed it over the top
I think it's important not to understate the importance of typing advantage and disadvantage in the metagame. Perfectly good Pokemon can be relegated to the fringes of the competitive scene because of typing. I'd argue that Gengar EX had this as a result of Yveltal's popularity- it really is a good Pokemon, but who wants to play an EX when the most popular or second most popular card in a format hits it weakness and is known for its ability to do 90+ damage quickly and easily? Lucario EX also fell into this category. I think it's a very good Pokemon- corkscrew smash in particular is an awesome attack- but when it was first released and for a long time after Mewtwo was two prevalent. (I think as Mewtwo has tailed off a little its reputation has been quietly rehabiltiated, and that's one of the reasons you do tend to see a few of them in Landobats without everyone spitting about what a meh card it is.)

Back