Discussion Why Does Pokémon eSports Still Promote Cheating in the Mainline Pokémon Games?

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
As you may have already heard, several competitors at the 2023 Pokémon World Championships were disqualified due to using hacked Pokémon for the VGC event for Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet yet there were no disqualifications for competitors running Pokémon that were bred from a 6 31 IV Ditto that was either modded or hacked due to how super rare they are to get a hold of let alone the fact that there's no real way to trace the data of the offspring back to the 6 31 IV Ditto because Nintendo / Game Freak never coded the Mainline games in a way where it was possible. Chris Brown (@4Chris_Brown on X formerly known as Twitter no thanks to Elon Musk) whose the Director and Global eSports & Events Producer is turning a blind eye over this situation because he knows there's nothing he can do about it. Meanwhile Pokémon Company International is covering for the cheaters and hiding all of the cheating problems outside of Japan from the Pokémon Company and Game Freak to where when it finally goes into Japan we're now seeing disqualifications like we've never seen before while the cheaters themselves complain on Social Media claiming they aren't at fault when they actually are.

It should also be noted that people who mod and hack their own Pokémon are sophisticated enough nowadays to where they've found loop holes to bypass the security checks of Pokémon Bank on the Nintendo 3DS and Pokémon HOME on the Nintendo Switch for being able to detect Pokémon that are modded or hacked to where it's almost impossible to tell If a certain Pokémon is legitimate and the sad part is that most competitive Pokémon are 99% illegal because of Ditto. Ever wonder why Ditto is the most traded Pokémon in the Mainline Pokémon games even on Pokémon GO! since it's actually backwards compatible with Pokémon Sword & Shield, Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl, and Scarlet & Violet? Because of breeding. Even If you breed with a 6 31 IV Ditto for a competitive Pokémon team despite all the tools and resources available in the Mainline games it's still considered cheating If the Ditto is illegitimate even If the offspring is hatched within the official game and the fact that Nintendo / Game Freak have made the odds of legitimately catching a 6 31 IV Ditto through 6 star raids in Pokémon Sword & Shield and Pokémon Scarlet & Violet to be almost impossible they're also worsening the situation as well.

People will never stop cheating as long as the Pokemon games are so poorly designed for competitive play by making it so unreasonably difficult and time-consuming to obtain meta-viable Pokemon. This is one reason why I never gave a crap about official VGC and only find Smogon/Pokemon Showdown worth thinking about.

Pokémon Company International Confirms You CANNOT use Pokémon Bred from Genned / Cloned Ditto for VGC

Pokémon Genning Debate

Say what you will about Verlisify however the amount of cheating that took place at 2023 Pokémon Worlds for VGC is at least to me enough tangible evidence to back up the claims he's made on YouTube for decades now and I guarantee that If this event hadn't of taken place directly in Japan and somewhere else then NOBODY would've known whether or not If these VGC players Genned / Modified their own Pokémon knowing full well that they possibly broke Rule 4.3 of the Official Play! Pokémon Rules & Resources Penalty Guidelines with Verlisify still being labeled a conspiracy theorist.

I can't even rule out the possibility of Pokémon Company International covering for VGC cheaters because their public image matters more to them than being honest with Nintendo and Game Freak and for the integrity of Competitive Pokémon as an eSport outside of Pokémon Unite and Pokémon GO where there's WAY less cheating involved. Why is it so difficult for Pokémon VGC players to openly admit that there's a cheating problem in Competitive Pokémon VGC when they feel more comfortable on selling a lie to people that cheating in Competitive Pokémon VGC is okay when it's not.

This has less to do with Verlisify himself and more to do with why the Pokémon Community is in a state of denial when it comes to VGC.

Because pretty much everyone thinks the rule that is being cheated is a bad part of VGC, the rule that you have to spends hours and hours grinding to assemble a team just so you can actually play. It makes the game worse for no benefit. Why would anyone want to play that way when it comes to competitive pokemon? People don't care that it's cheating when it make the game better for everyone to do it

Because pretty much everyone thinks the rule that is being cheated is a bad part of VGC, the rule that you have to spends hours and hours grinding to assemble a team just so you can actually play. It makes the game worse for no benefit. Why would anyone want to play that way when it comes to competitive pokemon? People don't care that it's cheating when it make the game better for everyone to do it
Spending hours and hours grinding to assemble a team to actually play is how the Pokémon Mainline games were originally intended to be played and I'm sorry If you think that there's a legal shortcut to all this but there's not. I do however agree that there's an accessibility problem especially when it comes to enforcing unnecessary paywalls in order to keep up with VGC.

I think Nintendo, Game Freak, and Pokémon Company International have done the best they can to give us all the legal tools and resources necessary to assemble competitive teams for VGC without the use of third-party software and external devices to obtain them. I get it. VGC is like a full time job to commit toward however the rewards you reap from it are more satisfying than running the risk of getting disqualified at official VGC events.

Back