Discussion Who Has Parents Who Don't Support Pokemon TCG as a Hobby?

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Figured I start this thread, I'm sure a few people relate to this, but who here on Pokebeach has parents who don't support the Pokemon TCG as a hobby?

My parents sure don't, I showed them a few decks I was considering purchasing, and they outright said no because I should not pay 80 dollars for 2 cards as a part of the purchase (80.00= 2 Tapu Lele GX) and they said the card will drop in price eventually. I told them it won't because this is the card at its lowest (36.00 U.S. Dollars a piece). They said I can buy 2 when it drops to 15.00 dollars. I knew that was NEVER going to happen.
I told them I wanted to go to a Regionals with my deck (Pre- 2017 Rotation BKT-On). They asked if there was an entrance fee. I knew my deck would perform very well (Because at the time I had 2 Shaymin EX for my Volcanion deck) so I told them the entrance fee was 30.00 dollars, they outright said no, because that is a ridiculous fee. I told them I would be able to start my TCG career off at a great start, they still said no. They do however allow me to buy packs to get the cards I want because that is "More effective" to getting what i want for cheaper.

So do any of you guys here have parents who are similar? Don't get me wrong, I love my parents, they do a lot for me, they can just be kinda strict about the TCG.

I actually found a way to sell the TCG to my parents as a good thing: something that gets me out of the house and a good hobby, which definitely helps my anxiety (which is made worse by having nothing to keep my mind on). Plus, I recently made a basic Kommo-o deck and picked up a Lycanroc/Alolan Raichu trainer kit to teach special needs kids at my brother's family fun night on Tuesdays how to play the game, and since my family is either special needs (myself included) or helps special needs people they thought that was awesome. They did think dropping $40 on one card was a little ridiculous, but that's about it.

Of course having my own income and a car helps things quite a bit. And while my brother doesn't have a car, he also has an income. So I think it depends on your ability to do things yourself.

My mother's fine about it, but she thinks it is just snap. My little sister, when she gets cards I want, never trades them to me. I made the mistake of telling my stepdad how much Lele was and thinks 'it's all about money' (even though they don't get any profit from people selling Lele) My dad is fine with it, though. I have taught him and had a good few rounds with Keldeo/Rayquaza decks.

Luckily, I pulled my first Lele and traded for a second, and with Glaceon GX coming out, I think it is the perfect number.

Overall my family is fine with it, as long as I don't spend too much at once.

My parents supported me buying the cards but they didn't really like me going to tournaments (because they're so far away) and eventually my dad stopped taking me to league. They don't always understand why I needed certain cards though or why literally everyone who plays needs those certain cards, or why they're so much though.

my parent's are the complete opposite. My dad just spent like $70 on getting cards signed by Mitsuhiro Arita.

For the longest time, my parents didn't want to take me to league more than once every 2 weeks, and wouldn't let me buy singles. I was finally able to convince them last year to take me to regionals as a Christmas present. My mom thinks it's a bunch of sweaty old men who are creeps. My dad, after seeing how many people there were at Dallas yesterday, understands that if I go to tournaments and start turning my decent placements into good ones, then eventually occasional day 2's, how serious this is to me, and to the people that play. Also,
my parent's are the complete opposite. My dad just spent like $70 on getting cards signed by Mitsuhiro Arita.
, I just realized that it was you I asked on Friday night if you were a Pokebeach player. Didn't click with me.

My parents don't support it at all because of cost reasons but they don't realize that it has led to all of my friendships up to this point in my life.

Figured I start this thread, I'm sure a few people relate to this, but who here on Pokebeach has parents who don't support the Pokemon TCG as a hobby?

*proceeds to give example of parents simply not understanding how to effectively pursue the TCG as a competitive hobby*

XD

My parents didn't support the TCG as a hobby, but I gave them no reason to do so; well, almost no reason; one of the people I knew from League would grow up to be a pretty good player, and eventually he paid for a lot of his college education with the scholarship money won via the Pokémon TCG (back when such a thing was a typical prize). Instead, I was the pseudo-collector who fancied himself a real collector but had no skill for it, plus was a lazy bum who would usually end up damaging his "collectibles" through misuse or neglect a.k.a. "Why are all these comic books all over your floor? Clean your room!" >.>

When I first started dabbling in the TCG, it was supposed to be just that, because my parents knew how easily I went overboard with such things. Well... one thing led to another and the fact I was allowed to pursue it at all probably should constitute "support". XP Especially while still living at home, since if they really wanted to pull the rug out from under me, they could have just given me the boot. ^^'

My parents bought me Pokémon trading card booster packs when I was younger, until about third-generation, they kinda had me focus on doing chores to earn those cards. But it was always for collection. They never took me to go to play because they were usually further to go to play. Back then, we didn't have comic book shops close, and the semi-close shops didn't hold any type of competitive or fun play.

But once you are a single adult, you can do whatever you want. And it's great.

Then you get married... that's when it's like being a kid again if they don't play also. My spouse is very on and off about Pokémon TCG and it's kinda hard to get him to join in regularly (even though he can easily beat me with his Lycanroc-GX/Zoroark-GX deck...)

Moral of the story... chose marriage carefully.

My mom buys booster boxes and hides them from me and keeps the cards for herself.

Her buzzwole deck has 3 hyper buzzwole

I wonder how...

I remember growing up, being obsessed with collecting the cards. I had about a couple hundred cards or so in a big cardboard box that I had chilling in the sun room (which was a small room attached to my bedroom).

My Dad wasn't really "okay" with the whole thing, he didn't like me wasting money on cards. Especially if I wasn't going to use them in any way, shape, or form short of collecting them. A few years back, he sold all my old cards at a yard sale (against my wishes). I was, however, smart enough (with enough foresight) to comb through the box beforehand, and fish out all the cards that were of any value; eventually scraping together about 30 or so holo cards, and about 15 or so Japanese cards (how I got those Japanese cards I'll never know).

The last set I collected from before my decade-long sabbatical was EX: Sandstorm, back in 2003. And in 2014, 11 years later, on a whim, I purchased some X/Y packs. I've gotten back into collecting the cards ever since, albeit really intermittently.

I don't really ever plan on playing the TCG, going to tournaments. And I really haven't bought any packs in a few months. I honestly think, as long as I don't spend too much money; my parents are okay with it. And it's my money I'm spending, that I earned. I don't think my Dad would really care, since it's my money; he'd just say something about being smart with my money. A "don't spend too much of it in one place" sort of thing.

I remember when packs were like a dollar a pop. And seeing them now at about 4 dollars; or 3 bucks and change makes me feel really old and dated.

I can see why it would be an issue. For a kids game Pokemon can be pretty expensive. What I don't get are folks who let their kids get cards but won't take them to league. PTCGO just isn't the same. I WISH my son wanted to go to league! We have one super close.

Back