Discussion Which version of Trevenant is better?

NinJamezor

We love Huntail
So with Guardians Rising releasing a Grass-Type Phantump, will the current version of Trevenant (Dimension Valley-Ascension/Wally) be better than Trevanant with FOGP?

For standard or expanded? D-Valley is only in expanded, and if you're playing that format I would think it's a little better to have the lower energy cost instead of the free instant evolve. For standard I think the FOGP might be better since there isn't really a good stadium for Psychic just yet, but I believe that's changing in the new set also.

The new Forest of Giant plants one will definitely be better. Basically because you don't have to use Wally and can use draw supporters instead. Also, Ascension means that you have to go second in order to use the attack on your first turn. With FOGP, this is not an issue as you can (and should) start first.

Standard does still have Breakpoint Trev, which makes the attacks of basic Pokémon cost more. (Or is it Breakthrough, I get the two confused sometimes)

So with Guardians Rising releasing a Grass-Type Phantump, will the current version of Trevenant (Dimension Valley-Ascension/Wally) be better than Trevanant with FOGP?

I don't think this is particularly close in expanded play. Don't forget that Dimension Valley also impacts the other attacks Trev gets and T1 item lock is almost always guaranteed against a Trev deck in expanded already. If you change it to a FoGP deck, yeah you get your Trev up without the help of Wally, but you also have to run other stuff to get the energy attachments to compensate for losing Dimension Valley. I mean, I guess if you are freeing up slots currently used for Wally, you might have more room to play with energy acceleration. I guess I just haven't ever seen Trev struggle much to get S1 on T1 anyway. The added speed of FoGP doesn't help as much as the added cost of the attacks hurts IMO.

As for breakpoint vs guardians, I think that depends entirely on what you are trying to run alongside Trev. Trev isn't really powerful enough to run a solo act in Standard ATM and the addition of a fast growth variant isn't going to really change that. So, that leads me to believe that it depends entirely on whether you want your stadium to be dedicated to growing Trev (you don't) or dedicated to whatever else is in the deck. ATM, I am struggling to think of grass pokemon I would run along side Trev. That said, I could see Trev + Alakazam being a thing. Alakazam *can* make use of Shrine of Memories, but TBH if you can get the spread damage with Trev down, I think that is preferable meaning FoGP seems like it makes a lot of sense in that combo. However, if you are looking to use Trev as some kind of weird secondary attacker in an Espeon deck, I am not so sure the extra speed makes as much sense there given that it probably makes more sense to be able to clear your bench with Parallel City.

Those are some ideas I have. I am guessing others have ideas as well. The TL;DR version is basically that it depends on the deck.

Back