Collecting Where to start?

jacob bonilla

Aspiring Trainer
I want to start collecting ( dont really have any intentions of playing the game physically maybe online but i really don't play TCG's anymore not much time or people i know who still play TCG's in my state and all the meet ups are on days and times that i work )

i like to collect whole sets but at the same time i dont want to collect sets that are very old and pricey because i want to pull every single card personally not buy them individually.

i was thinking of starting with unbroken bonds what would you suggest i start out with?

Ok, you don’t want to buy sets that are pricey and want to pull all cards from packs. And you want to start with Unbroken Bonds, the biggest set in history?

I recommend starting off with the newer XY sets, like Evolutions, Steam Siege, Fates Collide, BreakPoint, and BreakThrough. They have very low counts of Secret Rares which makes sets easier to complete, as well as having just the right amount of cards to have fun collecting the set and not having duplicates of everything.

If you want to go more modern, buy Crimson Invasion and Forbidden Light. They have similar counts to the newer XY sets, but note that they have about 12 more Secret Rares so it makes it way harder to complete than the early XY. The Sun and Moon mini-sets which are Shining Legends and Dragon Majesty are easier to complete, but note that they are harder to come by because they are mini-sets.

i like to collect whole sets but at the same time i dont want to collect sets that are very old and pricey because i want to pull every single card personally not buy them individually.

I'm sorry to say it, but even with new sets, you're not going to have an easy time doing this. It's highly improbable, unless you buy cases upon cases of sets especially nowadays that you'll complete them. Maybe XY sets can be done in a few boxes, but you're going to have to resort to singles eventually. I honestly think that singles are the way to go and it'll save you a ton of money in the long-run. In fact, I think the hunt is more fun than anything else, but that's just me.

That being said... If you're insistent on pulling everything, XY era sets from Primal Clash to Evolutions are probably the easiest to complete in pure pulls. Shining Legends as well, is another set that would be a good idea to check out. Try to find sales of current products if you intend on collecting Sun and Moon, it'll even out your return as much as it can (With Sun and Moon, any product is operating at a loss).

Like I said though, if you want to save your wallet, and your sanity as a collector, singles will almost always be the way to go. Cards this era will be especially cheap once they rotate, besides the Charizard Hyper Rare (and possibly ReshiZard's RR).

Back