Discussion When Will Rotation Be Announced?

Level100Games

Aspiring Trainer
Last year they announced it during nationals but this year nothing, Anyone have any idea on when it will be announced? I wish they followed a set time like MTG where rotation happens with the release of a certain number of sets that would be legal in standard (MTG at most has 8 at a time with the 9th set causing 4 sets to fall off on its release)

MorningSTAR1337

Aspiring Trainer
Last year they announced it during nationals but this year nothing, Anyone have any idea on when it will be announced? I wish they followed a set time like MTG where rotation happens with the release of a certain number of sets that would be legal in standard (MTG at most has 8 at a time with the 9th set causing 4 sets to fall off on its release)

Does MTG do Promotional cards or sets like Double Crisis/Generations/Shining Legends.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Possibly July 21st, as mentioned in the link posted on this post

^ Then again, it could be sooner than that, depending on what TPCi feels, as I can imagine fan backlash against TPCi for possibly not announcing rotation in a timely manner, choosing instead to post rotation announcements on hidden quarterly announcements posted on the Friday before a new set's respective first pre-release date(or the day before the first prerelease tourneys for new main sets) that somehow get lost in the archives after a significant amount of more important pokemon news stories are posted afterward...

^ But the timing this year could be controversial: Will it take effect on its normal September, or will it take effect along with any other mentioned changes, if any, the day its associated new set becomes tourney-legal? If the latter is true, expect Decidueye-GX, among other possibly Worlds-caliber decks, to be weakened by losing Forest of Giant Plants(along with VS Seeker, Vespiquen, Shaymin-EX, among other cards from ROS-AOR at minimum) due to the rotation taking effect on the exact day the Worlds action starts: Friday, August 18th... Despite me not going to Worlds, hoping the former is true so I don't have to feel bad for those that have to drastically change their decks due to such a drastic change with 4-5 weeks(depending on whether or not the one week of waiting for card delivery on ground is counted) of prep prior to the time of the 2016-17 P!P season's grand tourney(Worlds)'s first day(though if the latter case is true, it essentially becomes a next-format test tourney, minus the next format's extra sets that will be released as the next format progresses), which might dilute the nature of Worlds: the final major pokemon competition of the season, a title I believe is worthy of being able to use previous-format cards. Rotating out such cards and making them not legal for Worlds? Mandating extra planning and denying uninformed competitors who live in a dead zone(w/ no way to access pokemon.com to read the announcement of changes) a chance to play in the event they have previous-format cards in their deck?

^ Way to go, TPCi. What a message...

^ The world is getting information faster than in the past, but is there such a thing as too fast?

Last edited:

Otaku

The wise fool?
Last year they announced it during nationals but this year nothing...

Kind of hard to announce it during any National Championship this year, since there aren't any. ;) Yes, the North American Regional Championship replaced the United States National Championship but they aren't the same and not treating it as Nats by another name might even be why they held off.

Anyone have any idea on when it will be announced?

Based on their history, when even "emergency" rotations had a month or two of lead time... soon enough. Which probably sounds like another tongue-in-cheek comment, but I actually mean it; I don't recall any rotation in Pokémon coming out of nowhere. Well, maybe when Nintendo took over from Wizard's of the Coast, but even then we might have gotten a decent bit of notice. Maybe another old hand or just someone willing to do a lot of Googling can tell us?

I wish they followed a set time like MTG where rotation happens with the release of a certain number of sets that would be legal in standard (MTG at most has 8 at a time with the 9th set causing 4 sets to fall off on its release)

WotC would violate that rule if they felt they needed to; it isn't a contractual obligation so you don't really know, you just expect it based on their word and past rotations. FYI, while they controlled Pokémon, the WotC staff that regularly interacted with us told us things like how they had to get rid of the 15+ age bracket for competitive Organized Play. When asked about it under WotC's tenure, Japanese higher-ups with TPC were puzzled as they considered Pokémon a family game (not just a children's card game). That could have just been them blowing smoke, or at least being ignorant off the truth but guess what? As soon as WotC lost the Pokémon license and Nintendo took over, the 15+ age group was brought back and has been back ever since. I am not saying that you should trust Nintendo/TPCi more than WotC, I'm saying not to trust either completely. ;)

You can view a simple spreadsheet I made with the data here; call the two earliest rotation dates outliers, and we've only got a week-long window for rotation; between August 28th and September 3rd. TPCi adjusts to the current situation, so a rule like that for Pokémon is made to be broken... or revised repeatedly just like the actual guidelines for when new cards are tournament legal. Odds low that we won't have an announcement a good month or two prior to the release, so you should have enough time to prepare. If you're trying to speculation on card values, welcome to why that is a job for pro's who can handle the stress. ;)