Discussion When did the use of Dice officially start?

ChiefLittleFish

Given Up on Collecting the TCG
Does anyone know when Dice became an officially "legalized"/recognized randomizer by POP/P!P for use in tournaments? I'm not looking for earliest recorded use, but when they decided to include them as a randomizer alongside coins.

If I recall correctly, we started getting official dice with the release of the BW Plasma Storm Elite Trainer Box, so the start would be 2013 at the latest.

With the Dice, they use Even Numbers (a 2, a 4 or a 6) in substitute for Heads on a coin flip, and Odd Numbers (a 1, a 3 or a 5) for Tails on a coin flip. I think they do anyway, I can't be too sure.

I'm looking more for a timeline of their use in the TCG.

On using dice, which numbers (odd vs even) mean heads vs tails isn't always set, all that matters is the players agree on which is which.

Does anyone know when Dice became an officially "legalized"/recognized randomizer by POP/P!P for use in tournaments? I'm not looking for earliest recorded use, but when they decided to include them as a randomizer alongside coins.

If I recall correctly, we started getting official dice with the release of the BW Plasma Storm Elite Trainer Box, so the start would be 2013 at the latest.
Dice have always been legal for the purposes of flipping coins, but it is correct that we didn't start getting official dice that are specifically made to be tournament legal until the Plasma Storm ETB.

I always thought that odd numbers were supposed to be heads, because they put the set symbol on the side where the number 1 usually is.

Dice have always been legal for the purposes of flipping coins, but it is correct that we didn't start getting official dice that are specifically made to be tournament legal until the Plasma Storm ETB.
I was thinking they were always legal, just making sure. I'm looking into doing a presentation on the pokemon coins for my coin club or something soon, but I'm figuring out my collection and tying up loose ends and leads for now.

Otherwise, it's good to see you again PMJ; it's been a while for me, but it's good to see a couple of familiar users still on here!

Reactions: PMJ
Back